www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:32 pm 
email admin your custom rank

As i had noted in a previous thread (someplace), we were in need of a new jack. I researched just replacing the Fulton 1600-lb unit with a new one. Ours has a welded on mount plate and the locally available ones were the u-bolt type. I did determine that the jack could be disassembled from the bolt-on backing plate and mounted to my weld-on mount (same jack either way, just assembled to one or the other mount plate).

However, I found the F2 online and was ... ummm ... mesmerized (is that sick, or what?).

The F2 comes with U-bolts for up to a 3" height frame rail ... of course, mine is larger.

Long story short ..... the F2 would require a fabricated mount, but I found it at West Marine for only $15 more than the standard unit (same as was original), with a $15 coupon I had. Well, deal done.

I fabricated a 3/8" thick mounting plate, drilled and threaded it for Stainless Steel 7/16 x 14 bolts, welded it to the original weld-on mount (cut the center mount/pivot bolt off first), primed & painted ...... mount the jack. This one run-on sentence took a full day....

Unfortunately, it started to rain before the paint was fully cured and made it wrinkle ....

The F2 is not only a great jack for any boat, but for a heavy application, it's really great. No wobble, no kind-of laying over a bit. Faster (and easier) cranking .... etc ...... AND NO CORROSION!!! Lifetime warranty too.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

Last edited by M3eater on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:32 pm 

Very nice!!! I struggled with whether I should make the same upgrade. I really like the F2.

I ended up going with the Fulton Sharkskin 1500lb jack with the 8" wheel. Mainly because all I had to do was remove the stock (undersized IMO) Fulton jack, drill the pin holes just a little bigger and then it was a direct bolt-on from there. I was afraid to get into welding and painting. :shock: The 8" wheel makes a big difference, I can actually move the boat around on concrete.

You did a great job and it looks professional!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:19 pm 
230 Mike

Gordon, that is outstanding. I want to replace mine too, but haven't gotten around to figuring out how to deal with that welded-on mount plate. Thanks for doing the work for me. :D

How much do you want to make another plate? :lol:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:08 pm 

For the plate, I couldn't locate a large chunk of 3/8" steel, so I found a 3/8" x 2" x 4' strip of flat stock (at Lowes), cut it into three 5" sections, welded them together (edge to edge) to make a 5" x 6" plate. Then, ground down the welds so that I had a nice flat plate.

That's what took the majority of the time.

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:17 pm 

Talk about a labor intensive project! I'll take one. Heck, trade me out for my soon to be '04 268 trailer. Its blue also ;)

Wheres your bow safety chain/strap?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:26 pm 

firecadet613 wrote:
Wheres your bow safety chain/strap?

Yeah, yeah .....

I unhooked it for the photos. I just have a crappy old ratchet strap, at this time. You can see it hanging on the ground (if you must ....).

By the way, the paint was Rust-Oleum NAVY

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
The Real Dr.Evil

I've had an F2 since last summer, have yet to install it because of the mounting issues. I email Fulton and they will sell me a plate for $20.00 to weld on. Of course I have so many projects, maybe some day they will get done.

The F2 jack is seriously well made, shame the standard jacks are such rubbish!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:49 am 

How you doin', these days, Brett?