www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trailering Covers
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:33 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Is the "weather cover" - (which the owners manual says to never trailer with at highway speeds due to potential damage)- the same thing that you guys are referring to by "trailer cover"?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 pm 

Xavid wrote:
Is the "weather cover" - (which the owners manual says to never trailer with at highway speeds due to potential damage)- the same thing that you guys are referring to by "trailer cover"?

I don't think so, not sure what the "weather cover" is really. The trailering cover is specifically made to fit very snug on the boat and is safe for towing at highway speed. Not sure what the weather cover is. Maybe your talking about the mooring cover? This is essentially a dustcover in my humble opinion, not good for anything else.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:27 pm 

I re-read my manual, and it recommends against travelling at highway speeds with any "weather" cover on. It includes as weather covers everything from the Bimini to the bow&cockpit covers to the "mooring cover" - which is depicted as a wrap over canvas cover that is pulled taut and tied off at the transom. I am interested because I have a tear in my new to me boat's canvas cover that I noted after trailering on the highway. I had assumed this cover was designed for both winter storage and trailering. I also have a camper cover and a bow&cockpit snap on cover, the latter of which I had considered to be the "mooring" cover. I guess I am wrong. Here is a link to the page in the manual, with pix(highlight the whole line and click please):

http://assets0.fourwinnsmarketing.com/p ... 05/Horizon[SLASH]Freedom/Sections/20%20Weather%20Covers%20-%20Sec%20O.pdf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:40 pm 

For those of you who have ordered a Four Winns trailering cover - how did you go about it? On their online site there is no means to order. Did you go thru a local FW dealer?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 am 

Xavid wrote:
For those of you who have ordered a Four Winns trailering cover - how did you go about it? On their online site there is no means to order. Did you go thru a local FW dealer?

Yes I got mine through local Four Winns dealer.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:39 pm 

Is the FW trailering cover covered under warranty of 5 or more years? The highest quality Sunbrella/polyester covers I see offered on custom sites cost 1/3 to 1/2 less (about 400-500) and offer a 5 year warranty. Why not go with these?

I am more than willing to shell out the extra cash for the FW, cause it does look good, but only if it is superior in some defined way.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 am 

If you see earlier part of this post you can see my old custom fit cover…. I spent $520 on that thing and still require ugly strap to tie down while in tow….. It came with 5 years warranty as well.. My FW covers are much better fit with a pocket for rear swim ladder, fuel cap and 4 cleets. Also it has 4 vent registers as well for aire movement. …. Also no need for strap for towing….. It is well worth for money… I am not sure what is the warranty (I think 1 year) but there is no other cover like this other than FW. I did not need a new cover but I just had to have this new one... I still have my old cover in my garage….. You can have it if you would pay for shipping…. and some donation money :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:23 pm 

Flying Sushi wrote:
If you see earlier part of this post you can see my old custom fit cover…. I spent $520 on that thing and still require ugly strap to tie down while in tow….. It came with 5 years warranty as well.. My FW covers are much better fit with a pocket for rear swim ladder, fuel cap and 4 cleets. Also it has 4 vent registers as well for aire movement. …. Also no need for strap for towing….. It is well worth for money… I am not sure what is the warranty (I think 1 year) but there is no other cover like this other than FW. I did not need a new cover but I just had to have this new one... I still have my old cover in my garage….. You can have it if you would pay for shipping…. and some donation money :mrgreen:

Wow, the pic with the "old" cover looks pretty nice. The tie down straps are a pain that I already deal with. I would be interested in paying for shipping and then some to get that "old" cover. If you are serious about the offer, I'll send you an email to discuss this further. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm 

I will PM you them.... I will be happy to it to have a new home.... :D

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:36 pm 

Great thread and many opinions, which honestly puts back at the i don't know phase. Guess its an each to his own situation.....i have the 210ss that came with the two piece bow and cockpit cover....i have the forward arch. The dealer said not to trailer with the top long distance, but i was left wondering what???

I travel about 1.5 hrs to the lake at speeds up to 70 (no choice or you get run over)...i would like to have a top to use...if nothing else for the bow....my seat cushion also blows up as did the rear deck until i adjusted the latch to make it close tight.

For those who use the 2 piece cover that came with the boat, do you use the poles??? i have velcro notches in the top, but they don't line up with the forward arch.

The dealer recommendation was to trailer with no top, remove carpet and stow it and leave the bimini up in the boot. The style bimini i have also rests forward facing.

For those who use the 2 piece on highway - do you go over an hour and at speeds of 70ish.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm 

Flying Sushi wrote:
I will PM you them.... I will be happy to it to have a new home.... :D

You are the king! I received your pm and sent one back with my info - if you don't have it let me know. I was about to take my current top in to repair the tear it has at the bow pole support area. I may still repair it so I'll have a back-up - and can use for winter storage (inside). Thank you thank you :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:58 pm 
2007 200 Horiz

Hi,

I know everyone loves the FW trailer cover :mrgreen: but we would like the bimini to be covered along with the boat. So this rules out the trailer cover for us.

The primary use of the cover will be when she is on the trailer stored for summer and winter but also for trailering a few 400 to 500 miles trips.

However, I have located two covers that do cover the bimini, one is through Overton's while another is through iBoats. I would love any ones input, comments or personal experience with either of these products...

Overtons - Covermate Sharkskin Custom Boat Cover
6.5 oz. 100% polyester
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ew&i=88503

iBoats - Westland Sunbrella Custom Boat Cover
9.25 oz. 100% acrylic
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Four_Winns ... (2006-2008)_Westland-FW2119/475341/?session_id=453096394&cart_id=993421235

Thanks in advance guys,
Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 pm 
Sting Ray

MdRobins35 wrote:
Hi,

I know everyone loves the FW trailer cover :mrgreen: but we would like the bimini to be covered along with the boat. So this rules out the trailer cover for us.

The primary use of the cover will be when she is on the trailer stored for summer and winter but also for trailering a few 400 to 500 miles trips.

However, I have located two covers that do cover the bimini, one is through Overton's while another is through iBoats. I would love any ones input, comments or personal experience with either of these products...

Overtons - Covermate Sharkskin Custom Boat Cover
6.5 oz. 100% polyester
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ew&i=88503

iBoats - Westland Sunbrella Custom Boat Cover
9.25 oz. 100% acrylic
http://boatcovers.iboats.com/Four_Winns ... (2006-2008)_Westland-FW2119/475341/?session_id=453096394&cart_id=993421235

Thanks in advance guys,
Matt

I got the custom Sharkskin cover made by Westland from iboats. It fits like a glove with the bimini folded down on the small struts. If you get this, I would recommend also getting the Westland cincher and cincher pocket. It really allows you to crank the cover tight. I know a lot of people swear by FW covers on here, I just couldn't justify the cost being roughly double for the few times a year I use it in addition to winter storage.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:36 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Indy Steve wrote:

If you get this, I would recommend also getting the Westland cincher and cincher pocket. It really allows you to crank the cover tight.

Thanks Steve. We went ahead and got the Sunbrella since we wont be trailering that much but wanted the water and breathability.

I am a little curious about the cincher and cincher pocket. We purchased the pole and foam pad to help support the front the the cincher...the description wasn't very good. Do you mind explaining a little bit about it?

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 am 
Sting Ray

The cincher is just a locking pully device. At the back of the cover there is a line that runs around the bottom of the cover. You hook the loop in one side and feed the other end into the pully and pull it tight. It bacically gives you a mechanical advantage and locks it down. The pocket just wraps around the cincher to keep it from hitting your drive, gelcoat, etc.

FYI, when I put the cover on, I put it on over the snap-on bow and cockpit covers. That way I can utilize the poles for those without worrying about a pole pushing through the road cover. It also protects the rear sundeck from chaffing should the road cover flap ever so slightly. That is my one complaint on the Westland covers, no reinforcement where poles would go.

Indianapolis
ImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next