www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:30 am 
Minnow

Does anyone dual trailer?
I have a little popup camper (1700 lbs) and our 200 Horizon (approx 4000lbs). I would like to be able to tow the camper behind the boat. Can the trailer be modified to tow with? Or do you need to build a new trailer?
Right now we have a 2000 4Runner doing the pulling. This is the old version before the v8. We are looking at selling this for say a 3/4 ton pickup. I don't want to have to have two trucks or truck like vehicles -- because both or us have longer commutes.
I have a little VW diesel Jetta -- The towing capacity on that is 1500lbs. I've thought about trying to tow the camper with the Jetta but that is my daily driver.
I like the dual trailer idea "IF" it could work. Then we have one big truck that we use to two with and two cars to tool around town.
Is dual trailering -- Just not a good idea?
Any thoughts?

Texas
--------------------------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:34 am 
Mental Floss

Double check your states laws. Many if not most it's illegal.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:03 pm 
Guppy

In Michigan you have to get a "Recreational Double R Endorsement" on your license. However, they only seem to discuss pulling a fith wheel and then another trailer behind that. From the Michigan SOS web site:

A “recreational double” is a pickup truck pulling a fifth wheel trailer designed for recreational living purposes, with a second trailer attached to the rear of the fifth wheel trailer. The pickup truck must have a towing rate equal to, or greater than, the total weight being towed. To operate a recreational double, you must have an “R” endorsement on your driver license. Anyone age 18 or older with a valid driver license may apply for this endorsement at a branch office. A knowledge test is required. There is no skills test. Drivers holding a Group “A” CDL with a “T” double or triple trailers endorsement can operate a recreational double without the “R” endorsement. Triple trailers are not permitted in Michigan. For more information, obtain a copy of the brochure A Recreational Double Endorsement at a Secretary of State branch office or from this web site.

Also check out this:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/recreational_double_21025_7.pdf
Maybe you can find similar information at the Texas SOS.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:07 pm 
Minnow

Thanks Guys for the info --
Based on tjckrueger's post I found a RV forum regarding same topic. Found this bit of info and it seems you can't tandem tow trailers.
http://www.recvehicle.com/laws.html

It seems you CAN tow the boat behind a camper (5th wheel) -- Look at ::
http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

Of course -- Our camper is too small to tow the boat. -- No 5th wheel
Looks like a no go.

Texas
--------------------------------------

Post subject: Dual trailering
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:08 pm 
Goldfish

Although I've seen the tandem tractor trailers on highways, I have never seen such an arrangement with two trailers. I have mentioned it jokingly in the past in conversations. I guess now the joke is on me.

I can't even imagine how difficult it must be trying to back up! At least a train is on tracks! One reason for the fifth wheel must be that the tongue weight of the last trailer would affect the tongue weight of the 1st trailer.

Anyone have pictures of such an arrangement as this is new to me and I'm sure to most people I know? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:06 am 
Guppy

Michigan's manual says this about backing up:

Backing
When driving a recreation double, avoid backing up. Trying to back two trailers at the same time can be extremely difficult and dangerous - especially on a busy street. Backing up is only recommended when you can safely stop the vehicle and unhook the second trailer before backing, such as when pulling into a campsite or similar location.

In other words, don't even try it....lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:57 am 
wkearney99

Yeesh, I cannot even BEGIN to imagine the hassles of trying to tow two trailers at once. I shudder to think of the PANDEMONIUM that would result from, say, the middle trailer blowing a tire. And wobbles would be just insane to try to keep under control. Having had a blown tire on a trailer cause the tow vehicle to get FLUNG around in a 360 it gives me chills just thinking how much WORSE it could get with two. No thanks, there ain't nowhere I need to go that'd make it worth trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

One solution---either tow the camper and rent a boat when you get to where you are going, or tow the boat and rent a camper/cabin/etc. Or, rent an RV and tow the boat with it, any of these would be far safer than trying to tow two trailers, even if it were legal!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II