www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:43 am 
email admin your custom rank

Starting a new thread on this topic of "the right tow vehicle". Didn't want to completely hijack the "what's the biggest boat being towed" thread.

I realize I'll be pulling a Sea Ray and not a FW but I figure this is a topic that is load specific and not boat specific.

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
I dont't mean to high jack the thread but i was wondering what you all think is a good lower budget tow vehicle capable of a pulling a 12000lb load. I'm wanting to tow my new boat that will come in around 12klbs with trailer and gear. Maybe even slighly more. I'd like to find an older (90's) truck to do the job. Ford, dodge, chevy? Do I need a DRW? Thoughts?

Edit- I think I will be closer to 13k pounds

My parents pull a 36 ft 5 fifth wheel with a GMC 3500 Crew Long Box 2WD (duramax/allison tranny) without any problems and I thnk the truck has alot more to pull. It's overkill. Depending on how far you are pulling makes all the difference too. There are so many variables that I think we would need a little more input from you
1-Daily driver or strictly boat use?
2-Length of hauls?
3-Regularity of hauls?
4-Passengers?
5-Other possible uses?

12K on a bumper pull is alot especially if you can't use weight distributing hitches due to the surge brakes.... What brakes are on the trailer? Do you have a trailer yet or is a fifth wheel trailer a possibility?

Give us more of the story and we will try and help you out!

So, here's some more info:
1. Not a daily driver. Towing only and occassional run to Home depot.
2. Longest haul probably 400 miles round trip
3. local haul outs and the 400 mile trip done maybe twice a year
4. at most, admiral and 3 small kids
5. None

I think I've limited myself budget wise to something in the 2000-2002 range.

Question, dually or not? 4x4 or not? Dodge versus Ford - oh boy!! Manual or automatic?

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:26 am 

Cincy,

Glad you stuck around and still
How is the terrain for your trips? Hilly or flat?
Also do you have a current tow vehicle where you want to improve performance? Any current issues like slipping when pulling out?

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:32 am 
268 Vista

2001 Dodge 3500 Pickup 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9L I-6 Turbo-diesel HO 14300 lbs. Tow Rating. Manual Trans.

Not much choice with that much to tow. Good luck finding one for a decent price.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:54 am 

Thanks. I would say "relatively" hilly here in Kentucky. Not West Virginia mountainness but not Nebraska flat.

My current vehicle will not tow this thing no matter what but since its close to being paid off I will probably just run it until its dead. Love driving the Expy. Ramps can get slick so I think I will stick with 4x4.

Capn, nice recommendation. I've read that that truck is a monster. Hell, I'll take one with 300k on the odometer if its still in one piece.

Current boat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 am 
268 Vista

Here ya go Cincy. :wink: (2WD though)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Ra ... sQ5fTrucks

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Last edited by Cap'n Morgan on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:22 am 

If you deal with slippery ramps I believe 4x4 is a must.

2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7L 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:50 pm 
Dolphin

4x4 with heavy boats are almost a necessity on slippery and/or wet ramps... The torque that the diesel trucks generate will break tires loose with that kind of weight behind them. For me it happens regulary enough that my wife knows to use 4wd every time pulling out. I tow a '98 278 Vista with 2003 Ram 3500 4x4 with the HO Cummins 5.9. The boat and trailer weigh 11,680lbs with 950lbs of tongue weight. I was surprised when I weighed the new aluminum trailer because it was supposed to weigh 1,400 and actually was over 2,000 - 20lbs heaver than the steel FW trailer. That said, it wouldn't hurt to have your boat and trailer weighed so you know for sure:) I once talked to a guy with a 290 Sundancer who thought he only weighed 10K!

As far as the truck, it is basically stock, but I do use a Smarty programmer on #3 of 9 settings, and an aftermarket intake horn. I also have fuel pressure, boost, trans temp, and pyro gauges which should be installed on all diesel tow rigs. Mine tows well but I wouldn't want to tow this kind of weight with anything less.

I also recommend that whichever truck you end up with, don't tow that kind of weight with the factory receiver, unless it's rated for the weight you know you'll be towing. I know the Dodge receivers aren't rated for our boats' weights. Some guys do it and never have a problem. Others have bent/broken them. I use a Reese Titan hitch that's rated for 12,000 trailer and 1,200 tongue weight without weight distributing equipment.

1998 278 Vista - Twin 4.3 GLs, Kohler 4KW Gen, AC/Heat.
1999 Yamaha Waverunner SUV
2003 Yamaha Waverunner SUV w/MR-1 HO conversion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 pm 
Whatever

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
So, here's some more info:
1. Not a daily driver. Towing only and occassional run to Home depot.
2. Longest haul probably 400 miles round trip
3. local haul outs and the 400 mile trip done maybe twice a year
4. at most, admiral and 3 small kids
5. None

I think I've limited myself budget wise to something in the 2000-2002 range.

Question, dually or not? 4x4 or not? Dodge versus Ford - oh boy!! Manual or automatic?

If its not for anything but towing the boat, DRW Used and that era truck, they will be cheaper anyways, SRW are more in demand.

I would never own a tow vehicle unless it 4X4, handy on the boat ramp, but more importantly, low gear range for going up steep ramp and backing rig up any type of incline.

For me, Dodge is out, it would be between ford and chevy. Again, the Cummins motor is awesome, I just dont like the truck.

Automatic, will pull more than the manual, and are rated higher (at least for the ford). As mentioned above, if you go with a diesel, you must get gages to monitor temps. I also like an aux trans oil cooler with the automatic trany. Heat is the #1 killer of a trany. If you go with a auto trans and keep the temps down, it will serve you well.

As I posted in the other thread, any of the 3 three 1 tons, if optioned out correctly, will work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:05 am 

Definitely a diesel. I am partial to Ford but go with what you feel is best. If you get a Ford with the original 7.3L Diesel I think that would be great. As others have said, check the hitch ratings for sure.

As an aside, I just downsized from an F-250 Diesel to a new F-150 with a factory hitch set up. As many here know, the factory hitch ratings usually top out at 5K-6K if you are not using weight distribution equipment (12,500 lbs if you use WD). Because I now have a half ton truck and an 8,000 lb setup, I WANTED weight distribution. I decided on the Equal-I-zer hitch and I am very pleased with it. The torsion/sway bars essentially go straight back because of how boat trailers are configured and it works well...and the brakes work PERFECTLY with this setup. Towing 8K with an F-150 with the 5.4L V-8 is a breeze in the hilly Northeast. Sure my gas mileage suffers while towing vs the diesel, but mileage not towing is better and the ride is better of course. My whole point here is that although in the situation we are talking about I think a diesel is warranted, a weight distribution hitch will make life easier on the long hauls. Those with heavier boats and heavy tongue weight should consider WD hitches in my opinion....it makes for a much more comfortable and safer ride.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 am 

I would go with a 3/4 tonne or even a 1 tonne gas (v10?) extended cab long box pickup single rear wheel 2WD. Here is my reasoning:
The gas engines are easier and cheaper to maintain
How many times will you really need 4WD on the ramp? (i tow my 260 with 2WD 1/2 tonne and have never had any issues at ramps)
Diesels have usually been worked real hard and have extrememly high mileage and are quite beaten up when ever they get down to a reasonable cost (for your purpose)
Dually's look cool but will only cost more in tire replacements and won't help with slippage on the ramps.

Have you considered a Ford Expedition (V10) or an older suburban with big block?

Since the above described distribution hitch is compatible with the surge brakes you may have to make that investment too. A few short hauls would tell you the full story.

Have you considered just renting a tow vehicle when it's required? No cash outlay now, no maintenance, insurance, storage, depreciation etc...

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:48 am 

You probably meant a V10 Excursion? I actually was going to look into that or the diesel version to see if its rated high enough. Sunday Dinner is using a WD hitch so I need to check that out and may go that route depending on the vehicle I end up with.

If I could rent the truck I would buy my trailer now and wait till next year for the truck. Who has a such a rental???

Current boat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:04 am 

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
You probably meant a V10 Excursion? I actually was going to look into that or the diesel version to see if its rated high enough. Sunday Dinner is using a WD hitch so I need to check that out and may go that route depending on the vehicle I end up with.

If I could rent the truck I would buy my trailer now and wait till next year for the truck. Who has a such a rental???

I would second the recommendation on the Equalizer WD Hitch. I'm towing an '06 V258 with a Yukon Denali with the 6.2L. Fully loaded, the boat is a few hundred pounds above the towed capacity of the truck. Knowing that I wasn't going to tow a great deal (and wasn't able to sink money into a tow-only vehicle), I opted for the WD hitch. I towed from Knoxville, Tennessee to Cincinnati (over some pretty steep grades) and the truck and the hitch performed pretty admirably. It was slow going up over Jellico Mountain, but, all in all, it went well. The WD hitch definitely took some of the bounce and sway out of the ride. The Equalizer lists at about $700, but I was able to pick one up on eBay for about $480.

I too looked into renting a tow vehicle. Enterprise rents diesel pickups, but they prohibit consumer renters from towing. I've heard that some automobile dealerships will rent out tow vehicles, but I've never really looked into it. If anyone has any solid info on rentals, I'm sure Cincy and I would love to hear it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:18 am 

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/rv ... r-hitches/

this is where I bought mine...best price I could find

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am 

Sorry I did mean Excursion!!!

Here in Canada, Ryder trucks rents pickups with tow hitches. I would think that enough phone calls would find you somebody... U-haul definitely has hitches on their trucks.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:19 am 

+1 to SLMAN:
If you want a tow vehicle towing 10000 lb + I would say Diesel…… Anything else will be compromise......... This is based on none daily driver….. Same reason I have a F350 PSD Crew Cab truck. Tongue weight of Boat trailer are not as heavy as Camper or 5th wheel set up so dually is not necessary. However, you want have a WD hitch. It makes towing life so smooth…. 4 doors is necessary inn order to satisfy our family needs so Crew Cab is a must… Excursion is a good choice especially if you can find a one with Diesel. V10 or bigblock gas is also good but you will need to stop more frequently for gas when you tow your boat unless the truck has 2 fuel tanks. This past Memorial day weekend we made a trip from Boston to Upstate New York with a friend of ours who has tows Cobalt 240 with a late model Tahoe... Tahoe tows no problem his boat but is no match to Diesel…. Every hill he fell behind…. And I had to slow down a bit ….. For 400 miles trip we had to stop 3 times for gas for his truck... (Although he could get away with 2 stops… ) We only have to stop once…
I told him I will meet you at there next time :mrgreen: ……..