www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 am 
email admin your custom rank

I recently got an F224 and my trailer is on order. Anyway, the dealer showed me how the wiring harness works. On the wiring harness, there is a wire for the car's reverse lights. Apparently, this turns the brakes off when going backward, so the trailer brakes don't work against you. I can see this might be an issue when backing up the driveway, for example. But, when backing down the ramp, it shouldn't matter, since the trailer will be pulling the car back.

So, the point is that my tow vehicle only has a four pin connector. Adding the fifth wire from the backup lights can probably be done, but may not be easy. Any thoughts on this? Is the reverse switch really necessary? The dealer said something about wiring it such that the reverse lockout is on the brake light wire, but that seems like a good way to turn off the trailer brakes when braking... not good.

As another option, can the surge brake system be changed to an electronic system? Does it make sense to do that, or not worth the expense? Anyone know how the surge system works on a FW trailer?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:24 am 

First .... ABSOLUTELY, do not wire the reverse lock-out to the brake lights! This will assure that you NEVER have trailer brakes when you are applying the vehicle brakes. wow, can't even imagine that a dealer would suggest this!

Anyway, you will find times that you do need the reverse brake lock-out. I can't even back out of my yard and into the street, without the lock-out. At the ramp, you may have less trouble, as long as the trailer is pulling away from the tow vehicle, and you're not pushing the trailer.

Just tap into the reverse light wires and run that to a 5-pin plug set-up (with the remaining four wires set-up the same as the 4-pin plug).

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:54 am 
230 Mike

Gordon's right on. You DO want that reverse lockout to be functional, so it's worth going to the trouble to get it hooked up.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 pm 

In addition, until you get the reverse wiring hooked up, you should be able to manually disengage the brakes at the actuator to allow you to reverse into your driveway or down the ramp.
Sounds like you may have a bit of time until you get your trailer, so I'd get the wiring handled before that point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:13 pm 
Nauti Luv

What is your tow vehicle?

You certainly want this working properly. A couple months ago, my wife pulled the boat out of the garage to clean it. I wasnt home and she was doing it to surprise me. When I got home, there were black skid marks in the driveway.....she never hooked up the trailer lights since she figured no big deal...just pulling in and out of the garage. I asked her about it and she said at first she though there was something wrong with my truck (imagine an F250 "pushing" my boat)...she had it cranked up and still wasnt doing anything other than skidding.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:20 pm 
Villiage Idiot

You absolutely need the reverse c/o.

I do believe you are over-thinking this. I bought a standard adapter at O'Reilly for about $10. This has the set-up for the 5 pin (as you describe) as well as the set up for the 4 pin in one easy adapter. This plugs in to the round style connection (as most newer vehicals have) on my Envoy. With just one adapter I can hook up the boat with the reverse cut-out, or the utility trailer. Simple enough.

Hope that helps.

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:36 pm 

I agree with all of the above comments, I have a 07 duramax diesel with the allison tranny and if you don't have the trailer brakes locked out you cannot back the trailer up period. I have not seen a newer coupler with the reverse lockout, and the disc brakes grab as good in reverse as they do going forward

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:26 pm 

My Powerstroke x2 have no problem pushing her in reverse but I understand what you're saying about the Chevy's! Been there done that! :D

The big round 7 pin is an easy conversion to the flat 5. Less than $10.00 and this problem is solved.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:47 pm 

FWFord's wrote:
My Powerstroke x2 have no problem pushing her in reverse but I understand what you're saying about the Chevy's! Been there done that! :D

The big round 7 pin is an easy conversion to the flat 5. Less than $10.00 and this problem is solved.

Ha Ha.... You got me... :D .. now lets rephrase.... its not that it wont push it backwards, its whehter or not I want the axles under the trailer or not it I tried. With 10,000 lbs of boat and trailer, it will about fold the trailer in half....

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 pm 

Thanks for the great comments! I did find a converter to make it work, so I'll go that route. The wiring will be a little tougher, but nothing I can't handle. I did find the five pin adapter for about $10 at the part store.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:15 am 
Forty six and Two

For what its worth, I bought a 5 pin connector and cut, soldered and heat shrunk it into my 4 wire harness then ran the blue along the side of the old 4 wire and taped it every foot or so. Then I spliced into the Reverse light. Never had a problem in 3 years with it.

73 International Scout II