www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wiring Issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Thought I'd pass along the solution to my problem in the hopes that it helps someone else out.

The lights on my year old Four Winns trailer weren't working, although the turn signals and brake lights were. I found a frayed wire (green), and spliced it to fix, but that wasn't the issue. Today I took it to the dealer, and it turns out the reason my lights weren't working is a fuse on my truck had blown. We replaced the fuse, and made sure my splice job was good, and the lights were working fine - looks like problem solved, so off I go in 10 minutes as a happy camper. Not so fast, Kemosabe.

About a half mile away from the dealership, the lights go out again. I circle back, and my fuse has blown again. The dealer replaces the entire wiring harness from the hitch through the tongue - there seemed to be a little wiggle in the adapter, so maybe that was it. Replace the fuse, and lights work fine. I take off on a quick test drive, hit some bumps, and lights go out - another blown fuse.

To make sure it's not my truck that has the problem, we hook up a dealership truck and do the same test drive - and bam, first bumps, lights go out, and the fuse on the truck is blown. Dealer tech proceeds to disassemble all the lights to check for kinks or cuts - finds none. We wiggle the driver side taillight and all the lights go out - and another fuse blown. So - to be safe, we replace the entire LED unit. Test it out again - bam, lights out, fuse blown.

We start pulling the wiring all the way through the frame to see if we missed anything, and on a whim he decides to wrap the heat-wrapped junctions of wiring with new electrical tape, just to see if maybe there was some small exposure that was coming into contact with the frame and shorting it out. What do you know - success!! The lights are now working, and the fuse is intact.

Moral of the story - maybe before you do all the hard work, try using a little of the 50 cent electrical tape to wrap connections and see if that solves your problem.

Kudos to Phil Dill for spending 3 hours on a Saturday with me to fix this while I'm there and not charging me anything to do it. I've been nothing but pleased with the service there so far.

Post subject: Re: Wiring Issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:31 pm 
All Night Long

Nice!

And when you do sell... you won't have any explaining to do. :D

Post subject: Re: Wiring Issues
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:18 pm 
email admin your custom rank

cougarcruiser wrote:
Nice!

And when you do sell... you won't have any explaining to do. :D

LOL - my only explaining will be to my wife about how I consistently lose money on anything involving gasoline and propulsion.