www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: trailer theft devices
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:49 pm 
McLovin

Hey guys wondering what you are using for trailer locking devices. I was thinking about this one? Looks like it will atleast be a decent deterent. I am also going ot lock the ball to the tongue and the lock through the peice on the tongue also and use the masterlock hitch ball lock so i am definately thinking if a theif wants my trailer they must really want it.LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:57 am 
Andiamo

That looks like it will do the trick! I used to live near Boston, and that reminds me of the "Boot" that the Boston Police used to install on cars illegally parked.

One other thought though. The 4Winns trailer that I had for my 215Sundowner had a removeable tongue. It was real easy to do. There was a quick disconnect for the hydraulic brake line and for the wire harness and then I would pull the pin out and slide out the toungue, and simply place it in the garage. Unless they come all equipped with their own tongue, they would not be able to hitch it up. The whole process of removing the tongue only took me a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:42 pm 
McLovin

Yea i could remove the tongue but most trailer theifs will just hook up there own or use the chains and pull it out of site then hook up there own rig. I was thinking about using this on the wheel then on the tongue itself using this when its not hooked to the truck [img]http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_14425G_CL_1.jpg
Then when its hooked up using this hitch ball
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/93500/93506.jpg

And the lock on the trailer tongue. I know it is a ton of locks but man people are getting way to enviouse nowadays and i figure it will atleast make them go for a easier target. Has anyone used any of these products?[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:45 pm 
McLovin

Yea i could remove the tongue but most trailer theifs will just hook up there own or use the chains and pull it out of site then hook up there own rig. I was thinking about using this on the wheel then on the tongue itself using this when its not hooked to the truck Image
Then when its hooked up using this hitch ball

And the lock on the trailer tongue. I know it is a ton of locks but man people are getting way to enviouse nowadays and i figure it will atleast make them go for a easier target. Has anyone used any of these products?[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:32 am 
230 Mike

UMAX100 at http://www.trimaxlocks.com/unattended.htm

and

SXTM32 at http://www.trimaxlocks.com/receiver.htm

all keyed alike.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:47 am 
McLovin

mike very nice. wondering what you think about the masterlock one compared to the one you have. I am going to get a all keyed alike set and masterlock offers one for the receiver, tongue, and tounge pin all keyed alike. Wondering if you heard any bad things about the masterlock? Plus i will still be using "Da Boot" that i had above LOL I know it is way over kill but i am sure a theif will definately go for a easier target and that is what i want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:48 pm 
230 Mike

I think if anyone sees that boot on there, they'll move along to an easier target no matter what else you do. Something like that, or a heavy cable, etc., is the one thing I haven't done but probably should.

As to the Master lock you pictured, it's been awhile since I've seen one of those but I seem to recall that there was a part of it that was plastic or very cheap metal that concerned me about it. But like I said, that was awhile back and I may be thinking of something else.

The UMAX100 is a well-built lock, although I'd never heard of the company previously, and I have a lot of confidence in it. I like the fact that I could get 100% stainless steel receiver and coupler pins, and have them all keyed the same. Any more keys, and I'm gonna have to get one of the janitor things you put on your belt with a cable :roll:.

BTW, I updated my earlier post - the part number on the pins should've been SXTM32. The non-SX are not stainless steel.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:23 am 
Clownfish

mkperceptions, I've got the orange boot like you posted in the top picture. I store our boat in my garage but the only time I use it when we go on overnighters in northern michigan. I've had it for 2 years with 100% success, hasn't been stolen yet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:20 pm 
Mental Floss

I had my tri-axle trailer stolen last February. Ain't nothing going to stop them if they want it.

I lock the receiver, the ball with a Master lock and they still got it. Now I do the same but also put a bright orange chain I purchased from HD through the wheel and around the frame. It says...Take his --->

The only other sure fire anit-theft device I can think of (and considered) was to paint the trailer bright flourecent orange with lime green poke-a-dots! Who would take such a hideous trailer????

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:15 pm 
230 Mike

Yeah, or this:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:26 pm 
McLovin

yea i understand that if they really want it they will take it anyways. I dont think my single axle trailer for my 180 will be a big item to take but im going to take every precaution anyways. Thanks guys

Post subject: Trailers
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:53 am 
Clownfish

If you have a swing away tongue you may want a lock for that too. I hear some people get a kick out of stealing the pins. I use a lock on the swing away tongue, a lock on the ball hitch and a pin lock on the tongue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:01 pm 
Clownfish

atcdoug, I bought the same bolt that came with the swing away tongue from my dealer for around $15. Sure are a lot of morons out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:22 am 
230 Mike

I just bought a spare pin and keep it in the truck.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:55 pm 
Minnow

Can you lock a 258 vista trailer at the Tongue with a masterlock? anyone have a picture of that engaged?

1999 258 Vista

Rockford, MI
Grand Isle Marina in Grand Haven, MI