www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm 
Shark

Hey guys. I have a 2006 H180 with the standard painted trailer. Think the H190 uses the same one. Anyway, I've done nothing to the trailer but wax it these last 4 years. No problems but....

What should I do to this Spring to make sure she's in good condition and stays that way? I've read the factory FW trailers aren't that great in another thread. What I gather, I should make sure the bunks are tight, grease the hubs with a grease gun, and the manual mentions SAE30 on the winch. What else? My understanding is that the tires stink...should I get a spare? I always have a fix a flat in the truck, air compressor, tire patches.

The leaf springs squeak like all get out but I hear this is normal. Suggestions on all of the above? Please advise!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:49 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would definitely have a spare on that! What are you going to do when you get a blow out (which is what is likely to happen)? You or your boat will be stranded.

Also, may be time to at least carry a spare winch strap. Depending on how many miles you tow I'd be thinking about re-packing those bearings rather than just lubing them. Brakes on this trailer?

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

As far as greasing and/or repacking...it depends on what type of bearing system you have...if you have bearing buddies then I'd disassemble clean repack and reinstall...but with the posi-lube system like I have on my old Load Rite I can pop out the rubber plug in the dust cap...hook up the grease gun...jack up the wheel on that side...pump in grease while turning the wheel and then I can see the new grease push out the old grease through the opening in the dust cap....and I can see if the old grease was water contaminated...(milky color) if so then I'd do as above and replace the seals...if the grease looks good then I just clean up the mess...and check the end play and reinstall the rubber plug. Springs I spray with Corrosion X HD I have a set that are 8 years old used in salt (just for lauch and retrieval 2-4 x per year) still not rusted and don't squeak...check all the nuts and bolts on the trailer...if you have brakes check the fluid level and condition...check the tires CAREFULLY for rot and cracks...I have used the LoadStar brand that comes on new Load Rites and Ventures with good results...6 years old and no cracks yet...my trailer is 16 years old (galvanized....never would EVER have a painted trailer here) and I've upgraded it a couple of times....added heavier axle...springs...brakes...more rollers...etc....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:54 pm 
Shark

Thanks....think I'll get a spare for sure. Yes the trailer has surge brakes. Any suggestions on where to buy spare and carrier?

I have those black rubber plugs on my wheels which I plan to lube and check for old milky grease. Nice spring tip.....will get some Corrosion X HD for sure!