www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Aquadisiac wrote:
07H200SS wrote:
OK wanted to get some input before I wrecked something. Going to try again next weekend after all my new brake parts get here. Going to replace bearings in all 4 wheels after what I found on the first. Bearings toast and spindle even a little nicked up, but caught
that just in time.

Make sure you change the races too.

planned on it. New bearings came with them and the old ones in the one drum I pulled looked really bad. Going to change out everything so I know what I have. This is one thing I hate about buying used anything. Some people just don't care and take care of stuff.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:47 am 
Sting Ray

07H200SS wrote:
Aquadisiac wrote:
07H200SS wrote:
OK wanted to get some input before I wrecked something. Going to try again next weekend after all my new brake parts get here. Going to replace bearings in all 4 wheels after what I found on the first. Bearings toast and spindle even a little nicked up, but caught
that just in time.

Make sure you change the races too.

planned on it. New bearings came with them and the old ones in the one drum I pulled looked really bad. Going to change out everything so I know what I have. This is one thing I hate about buying used anything. Some people just don't care and take care of stuff.

That's why maintenance is so important, I also think that for people who don't know what they are doing shouldn't use bearing buddies, they always seem to add too much grease and run the risk of blowing out the seal and letting in excess water and even worse...dirt. If you pack your bearings properly, tighten bearing nut properly, and keep an eye on them you should not have to touch them for at least a few years, depending how much hauling you do. After you put the new ones on, recheck the bearing nut after about 60 miles, there will likely be a little more slop in the bearing after they get some heat in them and the bearings seat properly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 am 
email admin your custom rank

After you put the new ones on, recheck the bearing nut after about 60 miles, there will likely be a little more slop in the bearing after they get some heat in them and the bearings seat properly.[/quote]

Thanks for the tip. Did not know that.

1991 FW 170 Freedom 4.3L (SOLD)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:33 pm 
Sting Ray

07H200SS wrote:
After you put the new ones on, recheck the bearing nut after about 60 miles, there will likely be a little more slop in the bearing after they get some heat in them and the bearings seat properly.

Thanks for the tip. Did not know that.[/quote]
There probably not be much more play than from when you put them on, but it doesn't hurt to recheck. I would hate to see premature wear after all your hard work, I drive a tractor trailer with 8 axles and 20 wheels with a gross weight of over 135 000lb, I like to keep an eye on my bearings.