www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:25 pm 
Guppy

Great website and Forum setup! I'm a newbie to this forum and was hoping that someone may be able to clear up some questions that are nagging at me. I've got a 2002 Vista 268 and am looking into purchasing a trailer to extend my boating destination options (towing with an F-250 diesel). I notice that most trailers discussed here have surge brakes. I was considering going with electric brakes (boating limited to fresh water exclusively) and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on the do's and don'ts when backing into the water. Do you need to disconnect the wiring harness before submerging the trailer to avoid blowing fuses or brake coils (I'm assuming the brake coils are encapsulated)? If this isn't necessary, do the electric brakes function normally in reverse while backing the boat into the water? Thanks for any input you can give!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:11 pm 
Mental Floss

I'm not sold on electric brakes. I know what water does to the trailer lights, etc. Personally, I will stay with surge brakes until I am forced to electric. Surge are tried and true and when coupled with disc brakes over drum, they are about as maintenance free as you can get.

I don't disconnect anything when backing as backing would be impossible if I did. Surge disc brakes require a solenoid wired to the backup lights which closes and prevents hydraulic fluid from reaching the calibers and actualing the braking....so no connectee no backee!

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:06 am 
Shark

I've had both surge and electric brakes. When towing heavier loads I much prefer electric brakes for their stopping power. With the digital brake controllers you can dial in the aggressiveness you want. I also like the fact that you have brakes in reverse. With surge brakes I've slid backwards on steep, wet ramps. Not a good feeling! Last reason for my preference, when towing and you're trailer starts to sway, you can apply trailer brakes to calm things down without applying the service brakes on your tow vehicle.

Jvalich is correct that surge are less maintenence, but you are in fresh water and should get a good service life from electric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:21 am 
Guppy

Thanks for the reply Jak, Jvalich. I definitely like the idea of having control over the brakes from the cab of the truck as well as having brakes for backing down the boat ramp. Talked to a trailer rep at the boat show last weekend and he says that there's no issues with leaving the brakes connected to the vehicle when backing into the water nowadays. He mentioned that the majority of trailers are supplied to dealers with surge brakes because they are easier to sell with the boat (vehicle doesn't need a brake controller). Not sure how true this is, but the advantage of having braking control from the cab of the truck, definitely has me sold.