www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:29 am 
McLovin

Guys I am in the market for a new car/ tow vehicle. While at the boat show toyota had a big dispay and since I have a tacoma 2.7l 2wd that tows my boat now with no porblems but the problem is it is a standard cab pick up so no thrills and no room for more than 3 people and trust me 3 is not very comfortable. So i was looking at the highlanders and the rav 4's. the rav 4 had a v6 with 4wd which still got 28mpg highway. I need a vehicle that gets decent gas milage since i work over 55 miles away from home. Is anyone towing with any of these combo's and how is it working out for you. I really wish i could get a 4 door tacoma with 4wd in the 2.7l 4 cylinder but they only make them in 6 and 21 MPg for a vehicle i have to use more than just to tow my boat just wont work. I am only towing a 180 horizon so hopefully this will do the job. I would appreciate any input :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:53 am 
Mental Floss

A good friend towed his 19' Regal Bowrider with a Highlander for a couple of years. He would still be using it if he hadn't added a 26' Rinker to his fleet. He had nothing but good to say about the Highlander. IMHO, the Highlander simply because it has a longer wheelbase which means a more comfortable ride whilst towing.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:26 am 
McLovin

jvalich i was thinking the same thing. plus you can get the 4cyl with a tow package too and that i like. My mom has a highlander and i like it alot. I will save my money and go for that. Thanks for the input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm 
Minnow

Have you thought about a 4Runner? They can be had in SR5 trim with a 4.7L V8 for quite a reasonable price. Mine tows my 180 Horizon with absolutely no problems.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:17 am 
McLovin

yea the 4 runner is a great car but the v8 is way over kill and the mileage wont work for the daily commute. I know the v6 is enough power to tow the 180 im just curiouse about the wheel base and length if it is enough?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:17 am 
Seahorse

What will you be towing with it? What towing capacity does the 4-cyl have?

I've been debating the same thing but I don't think the small SUV's will work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:42 am 
McLovin

well im getting the v6 since it get 28mpg on the high way. I would honestly say you have to have 4wd for the ramps. My 4 cyl tacoma tows my 180 very easily which i say is about 3100 with trailer and fuel. But the tacoma is 2wd and loves to spin the rear tires LOL. the v6 is rated at 3500 just like my tacoma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:15 pm 
Forty six and Two

My pathfinder lulled my old searay srv200 (HEAVY!!!!) and pulls our H190 very well.....My guess is any V6 or more Path 4-runner explorer or larger would do jsut fine. I have always used 4wheel drive when pulling baots on the ramp for safety sake....

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:11 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would say that whatever you get should have 4WD. I know in my parts, many areas around storage sheds, ramps, and/or lake access roads are gravel. While 2WD will work, 4WD performs better and lessens spinouts and throwing rocks at your nice gelcoat hull. Plus, 4WD on a wet ramp is a beautiful thing.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:22 pm 
Shark

I am very happy with my explorer; snow, mountain roads, icey highways and towing a 200 Horizon. 4Runner would be a good choice too. BUT think very carefully about other imports. Can you open the rear glass and still keep the hatch closed? Very useful for hauling long lumber but great for the launch ramp, keeps the contents in the cargo area and out of the water. And would you like fog lamps for rain and snow? They are an expensive add on on many of the hondas etc.
my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:56 pm 
McLovin

I will definately be getting 4wd for the launch ramps. Thinking toyota with the hill assist which will also help at the ramps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:04 am 
Clownfish

I've got an '04 4Runner 4WD V6. I tow my Funship which is about 5,000# give or take a few hundred. Considering ho rock solid all of my past Toyota's and Honda's were, Highlander is a great choice. Depending on how much you boat weighs, I doubt you will need the Hill assist. In 4WD I can pull that Funship off a slippery ramp with no problems. Also tires make a HUGE difference. I highly recommend Michelin CrossTerrain since you said about MPG.

Bimini Top Extension
Full Camper
Full Mooring Cover