www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:38 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I've added new grease each season to both of my horizon trailer zerks... On one side, the grease inside the rubber cap always looks fresh and clean... on the other it looks awful... and on this side it leaks on the wheel after trailering, although the hub never seems to get hot... I'm thinking that I might need to take it apart for inspection... anyone have any advice on how to do this? My trailer has disc brakes also... When I apply the grease on both hubs, I always apply slowly until I see grease build up inside the hub...

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm 
230 Mike

On the leaker, I assume it's leaking from the back side of the hub? If so, the seal may have blown out. On the other hand, it depends somewhat on how much it's leaking. I have one that leaks a tiny bit even though I'm 100% certain the seal is fine. I even replaced the seal thinking it must've blown, but it still does it. If it's slinging grease all over the wheel though, it's probably the seal.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:39 am 

Mike, thanks for the reply... I will inspect it tomorrow to verify its leaking out the back, but I just can't see where else it could be coming out... the grease on this side looks contaminated... I've always used lithium base type grease, but the wheel in question has been serviced in the past by my dealer... I hope they used the same base type... as to how much grease?... hmmm.. hard to say but maybe 2 tablespoons?

I usually only travel 5 miles to the ramp, but if I took a longer trip this would worry me... I also wouldn't mind doing this myself to gain some confidence that I can fix a bearing problem in an emergency situation...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 am 
230 Mike

Not long after I bought the boat (end of the 1st season) I replaced all my bearings, races, and seals. I had a general idea what was involved but doing it made me far more familiar with my trailer, how it worked, it's strengths & weaknesses, etc. It's not a particularly expensive job, and not really hard, just time consuming - and messy. Those hubs hold a lot of grease.

As to the contaminated appearance, that too might be normal. The old grease in mine is a bit discolored by water when I pump new grease in. I was concerned about it but am not much anymore.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:32 am 

This must be deja-vu... I have exactly the same problem on one hub - grease leaking out and over the inside of the brake rotor/pads etc. Cleaned it all up last year, and checked everything and it was OK, but it continued to leak out.

Having a couple of days off, so today I actually disassembled it and pulled the seal out. I have ordered a new seal and hope to have it tomorrow. Seal is difficult to get here in Oz, but found an equivalent for now. Will order a full set of bearings and seals from the US and replace the lot next season. The original bearings and seals are all Chinese crap, so will replace them with Japanese ones that are much higher quality and far more durable.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:19 pm 

My grease appears to be leaking out of the metal dust cap (and its removable rubber access cover for the zerk)... I forgot to bring a hammer and chisel with me, but the next time I go to the boat lot I am going to pry off the metal dust cap and re-seat it...

As a side note, I have read that you are supposed to clean out the excess grease from the dust cap cavity after you put in fresh grease... I have never done this... One side is able to contain it I guess, the other is not...

I also tried to move both tires "side to side" when jacked up off the ground and both wheels seem ok... They will rock ever so slightly but not near the 1/2" play I experienced when a wheel bearing went out on the truck...

All grease is leaking only at dust cap area... I took off the wheel and even looked behind the hub... it looks clean...

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:33 am 

If it's just on the outside, then there is nothing to worry about then!

If you go to the Tiedown Engineering site http://www.tiedown.com/pdf/c718.pdf there is some info on this that may be useful, also look at etrailer.com - they have some excellent videos on this http://www.etrailer.com/tv-repack_trailer_hub_bearings.aspx. At the end of this there is a little bit how they explain the ezy-lube hubs work.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:49 am 

I have had the same issue happen. I would even get trace amounts of water out of the ones that the grease was leaking out on the wheels. I replaced all the rubber plugs and it took care of the problem.

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:23 pm 

Now that you mention it, the hub in question has a different plug in it than the factory side (they both look the same but the one that leaks feels like softer rubber)...
I guess I'll order a couple of new ones from tie down... it would be easy if these were at west marine or something, but I doubt it...

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 pm 
230 Mike

My local trailer shop has replacement plugs (don't know who makes them) that are quite a bit tighter than the originals. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I figure they can't hurt. On your dust caps, no need to take off, just tap it on until the flange is against the hub all the way around. If it still leaks a little, there's not much more you can do about it, grease just has a way of finding its way through things. Glad to hear it's not your seal.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:16 pm 

This is great timing for getting my trailer ready this weekend. I downloaded the tie-down file, thanks Alec! I didn't know I needed to rotate the tires while adding grease. My boat and trailer are stored in a rack right now so I can easily spin the tires without having to use a jack!

I only use the trailer twice a year but I don't want any issues. Also, I don't know how much care it had before we bought it last year so I'm gonna do some preventative maintenance.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:33 pm 

I was having the same problem with grease appearing on the outside of my rim and replaced the rubber plugs solved the problem. They were much tighter than what was on and the trailer shop said that they will wear out over time and only one size is made.

Current boat: 2011 Yamaha AR210
Previous boat: 1998 Horizon RX 4.3GL SX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 am 

I have the super lube hubs from tie down engineering also and am planning on checking the bearings, etc. soon. As I am new to this (only had my boat for this summer/new to maintenance) I am lacking in confidence that I can do this without screwing something up. I have added grease, but not spun the tire while doing so, and I am concerned I may have used too much or too much pressure, and may have damaged the seal. The video on etrailer seems quite helpful. My questions are these:
Is prying out the seal the way you all remove the seal(like in the instructional vid), or do you tap it out from the inside?
What do you use to clean the grease off the bearings?
How long does it take you guys to do this for all 4 tires start to finish? (I want to know how to do this so that I can if I have to, but I usually leave big jobs to the professional, and if it's going to take all day I may just have my trailer shop do it).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:52 am 
230 Mike

It's one of those jobs that will take 5 times longer, the first time you do it. Whether to do it yourself or have a pro do it is hard to judge - it all depends on how mechanically inclined/experienced you are, how much time you have, and your tolerance for risk if you do something wrong. Plan on at least several hours, if not most of a day the first time, though.

On the other hand, we aren't talking about rebuilding an engine here, and there isn't that much you can do wrong. The critical things are getting the new seals installed (easy), getting the brake calipers re-installed (can be a bit trickier but not "hard" - you'll need blue LocTite for the caliper pins), and seating/loading the bearings correctly (not at all hard but very critical). Beyond that, the biggest hurdles are jacking up and supporting the boat, and simply the mess. Your hubs take nearly a full tube of grease to pump full from empty.

When I did mine I wanted to change to a different type of grease (Mobil 1 Synthetic) and didn't want to mix it with the original. Once I had the bearings out I tried every solvent I had on hand to clean out the original grease. I don't know what that stuff was, but nothing would cut it. I checked with my local trailer shop and found I could buy all new bearings & races for far less than I thought possible, so I opted to do that. Here are your part numbers, in case you want them (it takes 1 of each to do 1 hub):

Inner bearing: Timken or Peer #25580
I.D. 1.75"

Inner race: Timken or Peer #25520

Outer bearing: Timken or Peer #15123
I.D. 1.25"

Outer race: Timken or Peer #15245

Seal: Victor #47017
Peer #POS2253337TBN
I.D. 2 1/4"
O.D. 3 3/8"
Thickness .375"
Dual lip, spring reinforced <-- That's important! They're cheap, buy a few spares.

On getting the old seals out, pry 'em out, beat 'em out from the inside, it doesn't matter if you're replacing them anyway; you won't get them out without ruining them. Just don't score the mating surface on the inside of the hub in the process.

If you ever replace the bearings, replace the races at the same time. Getting them out requires a long punch, a BFH, and a lot of pounding. A set of race drivers is a wise investment here.

I'll say this: Hub maintenance was one of the things I was the most concerned about for the first 1-2 years we owned this boat (all our tows are long). Now I give each one a few pumps of fresh grease once a year, scoop out and discard whatever that forced out, and don't worry about 'em other than keeping an eye on hub temps on long trips. I know I preloaded the bearings correctly and they've got grease.

That's a lot to type but it's not as hard as it might sound and you'll have more confidence in your trailer's condition when you're done. Just have LOTS of paper towels on hand. :)

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:21 pm 

Thanks for all the info and advice Mike. How do you lift the wheels when you are pumping in grease (to allow to roll the wheel as you pump)? I mean, do you use a floor jack on the axle, or the frame, or do you lift the trailer onto jack stands, or use a ramp/stepped 2x6's, or other? With my crazy hectic schedule these next few months I think I'll just pump a few squirts in each and see what the extruded grease looks like. If its ok, I think I may delay the full removal/inspect/replace ordeal for next spring, and just continue to check the heat of the hubs frequently on our 2 or 3 short tows planned for the rest of this season.