www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4W Trailer axle seals
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 am 
email admin your custom rank

Had some oil trickeling down the inner wheels on both sides of the rear most axle...damn! I called the dealer (5 hrs away) and all places locally have a 2 week wait. Learned something i thought i would share after talking to one of the techs. These trailers have the oil bath (good theory) lube system but since the oil is thinner than old style grease the seals will leak after about 2 years. Quick fix was to pull the rubber caps off (simple with fingers) each hub and dump 90wt oil in there and re-insert rubber tabs. The heavier weight 90 wt (standard outdrive oil) stopped the leak in my case....they are mailing the seals for all 4 hubs and i will swap them myself one afternoon.

Just a reminder - feel those hubs whenever you stop and make sure they aren't hot hot....if out on the road you have the option to dump some 90wt in there quick and easy.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 pm 

The grease ones leak also! Just replaced a seal the other day... flicked grease up all over the inner of the disc and brake pads - a dog of a job to clean it all up.

Alec

2006 Horizon 190
VP 4.3GL/SX, Sunsport

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:02 am 

One thing you have to be careful for oil bath on the boat trailer is not to put trailer into water when the bearings are still hot or right after the long ride. When hot air inside of oil bath cooled down rapidly by cold water it will create suction and pull water through seals especially if it is a leaky seal. It has happened to one of my hub. I have changed all my seals at the beginning of this season since I do not want to take any chance. Changing seal is not a big job and you can do yourself if you have right tools…

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:41 am 
Shark

If you don't already have them, get yourself some clear turbo lube hub covers (go to: http://www.tiedown.com/amarinedls.html for more details). I check them everytime I get out of the vehicle when trailering to make sure they have enough oil in them. It's also an easy way to see the color of the oil. Don't forget to feel their temps too, like someone already mentioned.