www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Equal-I-zer Hitch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:26 am 
2007 200 Horiz

I just received a hitch from a company that calls itself Equalizer and they make a Weight Distributing Hitch that is compatible with trailers having Surge Brakes. The pieces came in two boxes and both boxes where pretty heavy. From looking over the pieces, the quality of the workmanship that went into them is pretty impressive. Also, the WD comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

I haven’t been able to attach it to the boat yet, no boat, but I am not bitter. I did assemble the two vehicle pieces, which make up the bulk of the weight and slide it into the back of the receiver on my TV. Even with the weight of the Hitch, my TV didn’t sag even a little.

Once I get the boat and a weekend I will make sure to get some more information together on the process, effectiveness, and how it improves ride and anything else for anyone that is interested in hearing more about this.

Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will try to answer them.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:17 am 
Minnow

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions on how well this product works with the boat. I've been thinking of getting one and would love to hear some first-hand experience. Keep us posted.

ALSO: where did your package ship from? I think that company is based right down the road from me (Provo, UT).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:27 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Well, I can say right off the bat, this product is well made. Welding, metal, coatings and everything else is top notch!

I hate to say it but I didn't order it directly from Equalizer. I went through a RV store that had them for 410, instead of theirs listed at 650.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:01 pm 
Narwhal

Md,
How far will you tow the Horizon before you have a chance to install the Equalizer? Just curious as to how much before/ after experiance is upcoming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:01 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Well...the dealer is about 30 minutes away from the house and then to the Lake from the Dealer would be another 30. The boat will be totally loaded and ready to take the water run, so will be able to see the difference on the backend of the TB. Will do a launch there and retrieval and then drive the 45 minutes back to the house.

I might do a little bit of driving around with just the Ball and Mount to really try that version out before adding the Equalizer on.

So I think I will get a pretty good feel of the difference between the two. Also, the difference in the balance of the rear to front of the TB.

I’ll have a camera the whole time to get pictures hopefully help show the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:20 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Well...after the short weekend, it seems that the TB is stronger than I had believed. The backend sags a few inches when the boat is fully attached, but nothing that makes the front unsafe. I will do a few more days of towing it…but as of right now I will be sending the Equalizer back and just stick with the standard setup.

Sorry guys, the product seemed very well put together, other than that I can’t help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Am I missing something here? I see that you don't like the hitch? Why? What's the scoop? I was considering this for myself.

"Where Da Go"
2002 248 Vista
Lafayette, IN
http://blueoceanlife.worldventures.biz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:09 am 
2007 200 Horiz

woggy718 wrote:
Am I missing something here? I see that you don't like the hitch? Why? What's the scoop? I was considering this for myself.

NONONO. I liked it very much, well the way it looked in the box.
But after having the boat on the back of the Trailblazer on a normal ball and mount. So far, the TB has done pretty well!!

So the reason why I might send it back is to just get the money that I spent on it. NOT, because I dislike the product. I actually have had a great experience with the product and the company. So I would HIGHLY recommend looking into it or at least talking to someone.

No need to have it if the TB is okay for the next couple of months on her own before we upgrade the Tow vehicle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:05 am 
Narwhal

Well, I guess if 'before' is good enough, there's no need to go for 'after'. :roll: I expect I'll also have to tow the new boat a bit (without an equalizer) to judge if there's any need. Guess I'm in a slightly different situation as I know there won't be any towing vehicle upgrades in my near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:14 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Well I do have to say that I was surprised on how well the Trailblazer is doing with the boat. The 200 isnt really that heavy on the tongue. The only time that I feel a little bit under powered is when I go to pull the boat out of the water, but once I get going everything is just fine.

Jim, you might see that for the distances you are going, the standard setup might be just fine. But, do try it without a couple of times before hand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:58 am 
Tadpole

I've been using this hitch for three seasons now, and it's fantastic. I'm pulling a Horizon 250, so I've got a bit more weight, but the boat is stable as hell at 70mph. On short hauls, from the boatyard to home I'll skip the sway bars. The boat and trailer feel very secure at highway cruising speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:59 am 
Tadpole

I've been using this hitch for three seasons now, and it's fantastic. I'm pulling a Horizon 250, so I've got a bit more weight, but the boat is stable as hell at 70mph. On short hauls, from the boatyard to home I'll skip the sway bars. The boat and trailer feel very secure at highway cruising speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:23 pm 
Narwhal

Having just got back from a 200 plus mile tow, I can now say that towing without a WD hitch is endurable. Still, along the way, I was telling myself a WD hitch would have been much better in this situation, etc. If I towed more, there would be no question at all - I would buy an Equal-i-zer. Aside from the advantages of spreading the load, which would be of benefit with my vehicle, I found numerous sections of road where I got a lot of 'bounce'. Felt like driving over a large washboard, if you know what I mean. Can't help but think an Equal-i-zer would have smoothed much of that out.