www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:46 am 
McLovin

I use to work in fleet LOL the gas mileage is my main concern. Even though I think the 5cyl trailblazer isnt too bad, have to check that out. I rented one once and I must say the tow hooks in the front are lame because I got stuck and a truck pulled me out and it pulled the whole front bumper off, LAME. but it had lots of power and the ac worked awesome. But my luck with american vehicles has not been the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:52 am 
McLovin

you are correct I worked in fleet for a long time as a mechanic. But the gas mileage is horrible in a american truck but I think that anything over a 180 would require a american truck. For my small application i think the rav would work out great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:08 am 
Seahorse

most of the Toyota trucks are made here in the US, no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 am 
McLovin

yea they all are now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:35 pm 
Forty six and Two

My 97 Pathfinder has been flawless since i bought it. 260+k miles and its great. A lot of torque and just as strong as my Scout. GAs milage is cruddy but its a brick for crying out loud.... This would be my choice again, they are offering them next year with v8's as well. I can honestly say Ive never seen a 260k explorer or jeep....

my.02

73 International Scout II

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 am 
Clownfish

That brings up another topic. I dunno bout you guys but I HATE it when people buy trucks and SUV's for their ego, and don't use it for what its made for. I use my 4Runner for EVERYTHING, my DD, tow my boat, haul lumber and brick and gravel, go off-roading, and do doughnuts :o lol. I just peeves me when you see that guy with their lifted Ram 3500 Double-cab with Cummins diesel and ONLY use it for going to the stores and getting some water and dog food, whew man your really using that payload. GRRRR......

Oh and one more thing, Toyota in particular designs most of thier vehicles in the US and makes them here, except for a few model, like the 4Runner is imported from Japan. You do know that there are many US cars that are made in Mexico and Canada right? Now ill be honest, I am not really patriotic and I know some people will say well you live in this country and blah blah blah, but we are ALL entitled to our own opinions, but even so these people who ONLY buy American cars and give you looks of disgust when they see that you drive an import should realize that.

Sorry for the thread hijacking

Bimini Top Extension
Full Camper
Full Mooring Cover

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:28 pm 
Forty six and Two

I hear ya filepe I feel the same way and Ive used my path for everything. It old and getting tired but aside from the occasional small thing it needs its a great workhorse. My path was made in Tennessee....lol

Post subject: RAV 4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:08 am 
Tadpole

You must consider tow rating and braking. 3500# is the best tow you can get on the RAV. I wouldn't push a tow vehicle to its limit. If you have surge brakes it will be better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:50 pm 
McLovin

yea my trailer has surge brakes and my tacoma that is rated for 3500 tows it awesome. the brakes make it feel like it isnt even back there and the 4cyl pulls just fine. I figure the v6 awd will be the icing on the cake especially on the ramp. I dont plan on steppingup and if i do it will be a way bigger boat and then I will get a f350 sd deisel but that wont be for atleast 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:10 pm 
Goldfish

Not sure if you already bought the Rav4, but I would try and demo one with the trailer first if I was you. That 268hp sounds nice on paper, but I've found with my 02 Pathfinder (250hp dohc V6) that it doesn't have the torque where it counts in the 2000rpm range. I think you'll find with any highway driving that the Rav 4 will be continuously locking and unlocking the torque converter with any change in load. This makes for a long drive, very poor fuel economy, and lots of heat if you don't have the right tranny cooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:32 am 
Forty six and Two

Im surprised you have nearly 100 hp more than I do and my path pulls my 190 no trouble. Its not easly like when the dealer delivered it with his duelly duramax diesel but still its cool. My old searay was easily 500 to 1000 lbs more and I towed that to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:32 am 
Goldfish

It must just be my perception then. I don't like listening to the transmission hunt between gears at highway speed nor do I like getting the same mpg as a full size v8 truck without the trailering ease.

Trailering to the local ramp is fine (80-90Km/h), its the occasional long trips where speeds are in the range of 100 - 110 Km/h.

Do you have an auto or manual tranny in your pathinder? If its an auto, are you locking out overdrive on the highway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:31 pm 
Forty six and Two

Auto tranny and yes I agree id rather have full size for the milege I get but the reliability is just awesome in my Path. I have a few hills near our lake and I manually shift up from 1st as I need to and hold it in second for hills as long as needed. on the highway I let it shift with OD off then when up to 65ish I let it shift to over drive. If it shifts back and forth a few times on grades I leave the OD off.

Its not the best tow vehicle but its paid for, can pull stumps and has never broken down. Milege sucks.