www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New tow vehicle help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:41 pm 
McLovin

Ok guys, so im currently towing my 07 180 with my 06 tacoma 4cylinder which works out just fine, but the tacoma is only a base model and seats 3 uncomfortable LOL. I have a pretty long commute so I cant really get a large truck to tow my boat and what fits in to my budget is a rav4 v6 4wd. I was wondering if anyone is using this setup to tow with. I am not too worried about power just that the hitch sits a bit close to the the rear wheels. Just wondering what everyone thinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Have you looked at the Jeep ? A few new models with good tow ratings. I have towed with 2 different Jeeps and never a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:06 pm 
McLovin

the only problem with american products is well there crap LOL. Actually the quality lags and I have a GMC truck before and 37k two window regulators went out and the fuel guage broke and the ac went out. 1k out of warranty. What a joke. they just seem to fall apart that is why im looking into toyota because I have two now and am very happy with them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:40 pm 
230 Mike

I came from a GM family and never owned anything else myself but got fed up with nagging problems also. In late '97 I did the unthinkable and bought a new F-150. I still drive it everyday and love it. The new Tundra looks terrific on paper but it'll be a cold day in you-know-where before I spend $50K on a 1/2-ton truck.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:37 am 
McLovin

yea i hear you 50k will buy you a deisel f350 super duty lol. I dont know i think the rav 4 looks good with my little boat hahaha. and with 268 hp and 4wd it looks like a decent package and fun i hear also lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:37 am 
Mental Floss

An American boat needs an American truck. I've had 5 Ford trucks over the last 15 yrs and have had no problems what so ever with them. My current F-250 is 3 yrs old with 80K and half is towing 13000#s. Quality has narrowed greatly.

I noticed a new Nissan Titan lifted that passed me yesterday while on my commute to work. Sure they claim the tow rating, but looking at the size of the rear end and axle, they were awful small. So much more beef on an F-150. People get hung up on tow rating, but there are a lot more things to consider when towing and longevity when a vehicle is put to task. Ask yourself how many fleet vehicles of trucks you see that are non-american?

I just bought a new VW Jetta...wish the American manufactures would make a diesel car...the reason the Jetta won out.

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:40 am 
Andiamo

I used to tow my 215Sundowner with a Chevy Tahoe! It was a Great Tow vehicle. Yu did not even know the boat was behind you if you did not look back there, and I liked the short wheelbase of the Tahoe, which really came in handy in tight ramp conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:19 am 
2007 200 Horiz

The Trailblazer that I currently have has done an AMAZING job towing the boat. I was a little worried about it, but so far so good..."knock on wood"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:30 pm 
McLovin

I still just think the gas mileage is horrible on american trucks compared to japanese and since I'm only towing my little 180 and it isnt on long hauls I dont see a need for a larger truck. Plus I have to use it to commute for work and school. And I dont want to blow a ton of money on a new truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:01 pm 
Dolphin

"the only problem with american products is well there crap LOL"

Good Luck with your new purchase,whether it's American or an import. I think it's Ok to prefer a import over an American product. However I don't believe it's fair to refer to American products as "crap".I have to disclose the fact that I have worked for Ford Motor Company for the past 33 years, so needless to say I prefer a Ford Truck! I hope you would take some time to check the link below on just how well some American products are made.

Best Wishes with your new purchase even if it's an import! :D

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/truth/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:20 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I recently crossed over and purchased my first ever American vehicle and bought a 2006 Explorer. In the past, I wouldn't have even considered it, but came away impressed with the new models.

I've had a Nissan Pathfinder, which I loved, but the new Explorer has much more room and has a much smoother and quieter ride. Mileage for both has been about the same. However, the Explorer is not the speed demon that the Pathfinder is, maybe this is for the best...

I have an 18' Horizon RX that I recently purchased, and hardly notice any rear end sag that previous models have been known for.

As for longevity, mine is relatively new yet, but I did purchase the 7 year bumper to bumper warranty, just in case. Something I've never done with foreign brand cars, but then again, I've never towed with them.

Best of luck with your vehicle search. Test drive anything remotely close to what you are looking for, maybe even sneak in a test tow. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:34 pm 
McLovin

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post about american vehicles being crap. I just find things tend to fall apart that dont on other vehicles. I work on volkswagens and talk about cheap crap plastic parts that fall apart hahaha. But I also use to work in fleet and I know there are alot of things that can't beat a american truck. If you need a workhorse for sure you have to get a american truck, they are the only thing that can really git'er done. But for my llight weight application there is no need to go overkill just need something to do the job and that i can enjoy when I'm not towing the boat that wont break the bank and has a decent gas mileage figure. Too bad the extera only gets 21 mpg on the highway LOL because it looks like a cool suv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:47 am 
Mental Floss

No offense taken. Although real trucks don't have spark plugs :wink:

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:36 pm 
McLovin

you are right deisels are the best. I worked on big rigs and deisels for most of my life and i must say they are the way to go but for towing a 180 that is a bit overkill lol and for my 110 mile a day commute way overkill lol. I think im going to rent a rav4 and buy a hitch and stick it on there LOL and see how it works out hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:17 pm 
Minnow

Cmon, the reason fleet vehicles are american is the same reason why so many rental cars are GM's and Fords, they're cheap. Your rationale is flawed.

Ben