Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: trailer tires
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 am 
email admin your custom rank

Mark T wrote:
ric wrote:
My trailer currently has two 14" rims/tires. I'm going to bump up to a 15" with stylish aftermarket aluminum rims. Why not, it's dirt cheap and gives me a safety barrier when it comes to weight. Also, the sale of my two new 14 rim/tire combo will pretty much pay for most of it.

As far as jacks go... I've had one of these for YEARS. Love it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-with-rapid-pump-68051.html

My boat is right at 4,000 lbs without trailer, but since I'd only be lifting one side at a time, I would think this would work ???

Personally, I would use at least a 3-ton hydraulic rated jack, and a bottle jack at that.

The boat is 4000lbs, add the trailer, gear, fuel.... I would think you would hit 4800lbs give or take. You don't want the jack to gave out or stall!! Let the hydraulics do most of the work, not you. Floor type jacks like to move the higher they go up. Makes me little uneasy, when the whole load moves. Carry a jack stand if you have a single axel and place it under the trailer. If the jack slipped out, without the stand, you might get hurt and may not be able to get the jack back under the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 am 

I have a floor jack that I use when at home, but I wouldn't travel with it.....

Check you scissor jack and see if it will extend far enough to get your trailer tire off the ground. Also, you'll probably want some blocks to be able to get more height for side of the road, in the dirt tire changes. As I recall there are some previous threads on here where folks travel with sections of 2x6, etc to use for a stable base.

Also, I agree with having and using jackstands for trailer maintenance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:15 pm 
230 Mike

When towing I always throw a couple of short 2x4's and a short 4x4 in the back of the truck. You just never know how they might come in handy on the side of the road. Soft ground, the axle is right over a hole, etc. And I carry a small floor jack that fits under the back seat of my truck.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for all the things to think about and to get to be ready just in case of a flat. I hope a flat tire never happens, but if, so, I feel I will be MUCH better prepared thanks to all of the suggestions here. Again, the ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 pm 
Shark

I trailer long distances and put together a box of trailer tools for each trip. The list includes, 10-ton hydraulic jack, 4X4s, lug wrench, torque wrench (to check lug nuts each day), heavy leather gloves (tires get hot during failure), WD-40 (damn squeaky springs), lantern, foam pad to kneel on while working, spare light bulbs, brake fluid, rags, hand cleaner, plastic butter tub to put lug nuts into, bottled water, orange safety triangle, rope, large cable ties, bolt to lock trailer brakes off, locking steel cable (to secure trailer in case I have to drive away from boat to get tow truck for trailer, thermal scanner to check hub temperature at every time we gas up the truck, tire pressure gauge, hub grease gun, spare keys for hitch locks, and trailer tire chocks. Of course I carry a spare tire. One of the best things you can do is inspect at your trailer tires before starting every tow. Look for uneven wear from side to side, under inflation, and cupping on the tread. Those are signs of impending failure.

The admiral (wife) is always nervous about long hauls and having everything prepared and immediately available for minor difficulties like a flat tire makes the trip go much better. But that's my approach. We trailer our boat long distances with friends who also trailer their boat. He carries a just a small cell phone and a big credit card.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am 

230 Mike wrote:
Following up, I think the "old Carlisle" line was called "Radial Trail." So the names are very similar - be careful to get the new ones (if you go with Carlisle that is). The single most important thing with trailer tires is to keep them inflated to max cold pressure. Everyone talks about that with cars & trucks, but with trailers, it really is that important. Just the loss of a couple of pounds can mean the difference in the life of a trailer tire.

Thanks I had no idea the max cold pressure was such a big deal on a trailer tire I will definitely keep them up from now on. Thanks again you guys are all such a great resource so I am going to ask a question, since I don't have any special equipment to change a blown tire. What exactly do you need to change a trailer tire is it the same as the vehicle? If you have a tandem trailer can you drive with one tire down or is that impossible?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:45 am 
230 Mike

Jafo4U wrote:
I don't have any special equipment to change a blown tire. What exactly do you need to change a trailer tire is it the same as the vehicle? If you have a tandem trailer can you drive with one tire down or is that impossible?

It depends on what equipment you have to change your vehicle tires. In theory it's the same, but when you get the trailer pulled over it's a bit more likely to have the flat over in the grass, possibly over uneven ground, etc. So it's best to be a little more prepared. A good first step is to simulate what would happen, out in your driveway. It'll become apparent pretty quickly if your jack isn't up to the task. As you go through that exercise, consider how it would be different if you had to do the same thing on soft ground. That's why many end up carrying a small floor jack (for higher and faster lift), some lumber scraps (to give the jack better support and/or provide even higher lift capacity), etc. I also carry a pair of chocks, just in case I'd have to unhitch for some unforeseen reason.

As to rolling on one good tire on a tandem trailer - as you know, when you have a flat on a highway with 18-wheelers whizzing by at 75mph, you do whatever you gotta do. :wink: That's one reason I bought a spare aluminum wheel for my trailer when I bought the boat. I figured that eventually that style wouldn't be available any more, and if the day came that a wheel got destroyed on the highway I didn't want to have to buy a whole new set.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm 

Good information from all of you I am going to Northern tools and picking up a nice jack and I already have the 2x4's and chalks. I am definitely having a blown tire scenario in the driveway actually sounds like fun will time it and give you guys my results as soon as I get it going LOL 230MIKE what a way to help out a fellow boater your the best brother.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm 

Obie, a man after my own heart.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:33 pm 

Obie, do you have to load that toolbox with a fork lift? That is some serious preparedness!

Seriously, that is a great list if you can feasibly swing it. I'll take a few specific items to add to my current tool kit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm 

I don't trailer long distances ever, one advantage of living on the coast of Long Island, but if I did I'd put a 2'x2' piece of 1/2 plywood in the back of my Jeep (we bring this if 4 wheeling on the beach if we got a flat to support the jack) and my rechargable impact gun, 1/2 drive ratchet, socket for the lug nuts, wheel chocks, etc.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:35 pm 
230 Mike

After laboring over this decision for 2 years, I pulled the trigger today.

I never thought I'd see the "C" word on my trailer again, but the set I put on the band trailer last fall are doing great so far. Thanks to Wet Doggg for the heads-up on this new tire model. (In other words, if they fail, it's his fault. :mrgreen: ) I hope they do as well as the Canadian Marathons they're replacing. $114 each, balanced & metal stems, out the door.

I'll save the story about driving 60 miles to the boat to get the wheels to bring back home - only to discover I didn't have the lug nut key with me - for another time. :evil: :evil: :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am 

I had one of those stupid keys strip out on my 89 Toyota years ago, threw my back out getting it off, had to hammer on a 3/4 socket to get it off. Never again.
I have had good luck with the Kenda Load Star bias ply tires.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:51 am 

My '07 had some Carlisle Sport Trails on it that developed abnormal tread wear patterns... I just bought new ones this year. I hesitantly went with Carlisle again, but this time I went to up to the new Load Range E ones they have... Only towed 2 or 3 times, but I swear it rides tons better! I was able to jack it up, remove the tires, take it to a tire shop.. They balanced and inflated the newer E tires to 80 PSI (listed on sidewall). They told me if it starts bouncing that I could back down the pressure a little, but so far, it really runs smooth... noticeably better than the old D range tires.... I have a single axle... we will see how they do over time, but I am optomistic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:30 pm 
230 Mike

I considered going up to 10-ply's but elected to stay with the 8's since they've been fine for 7 years, and I was a little concerned about ride harshness at 80psi. Those will definitely be more durable tires though, at least structurally.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic