www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:45 pm 
Goldfish

Here we go with the next question. Is it common for transom plate failure on the older boats? I have the distinct feeling mine has on my 88 241 Libby. Prior to my purchase the boat has not seen water in 3 yrs. Had the outdrive off so I could service it myself while a buddy redid the engine. I checked the bellows put a new gasket between drive and transom housing and went to the water to sea test. Leaving it on the trailer with the drive submerged I started the engine tested the drive as far as shifting goes. All was good until I noticed water coming in on the port side of the transom plate. Water was flowing in quickly as I pulled the boat from the water. So here I am ready to pull the outdrive and if necessary the engine. If I zjust pull the outdrive and transom assembly will I be able to check the transom plate gasket from the outboard side without pulling the engine?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:26 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I have an '88 thats moored in salt water and I haven't had this problem (knock on wood, yet). I'd see if you can tighten the nuts that hold on the inner transom plate first (if you can reach em), another member had that problem and was able to solve it that way.
Leaks in that area can be from the transom gasket and the exhaust gasket for the Y pipe, but both require pulling the engine to repair. If I had this problem, and had to pull the engine to fix it, I might do the following if possible:
before re-installing the engine, just re-install the drive and fab up a cover of sorts for each side of the Y pipe so water doesn't come it. Like a piece of inner tube clamped to the top of the pipe on each side. Then back the boat in the water and you will know right away if you fixed the leak.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 am 
Goldfish

I'll play with the boat this weekend and of course take your suggestion about trying to tighten the plates before I do anything else. I don't believe that my exhaust is an issue. See the enclosed picture.

https://uwc.webmail.optimum.net/attach/ ... =photo.JPG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:04 am 
Goldfish

Feeling very foolish Lou, I really didn't understand your comment about the Y pipe. Now I know what and where it is I believe your right. Thanks for pointing it out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 pm 
email admin your custom rank

There is a gasket between the Y pipe and the transom inner plate that can leak, and the Y pipe itself can corrode through and leak. One of the main problems with I/Os is that there are many places where they can leak water and outside of the driveshaft bellows, repairing such leaks often requires an engine pull. Sooner or later I will have to put a new engine in my boat. When I do, I plan to install the drive, with the engine out and back the boat in the water and look to see if there are any leaks. That is really the best way, to eliminate leaks from the transom area.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 pm 
Goldfish

Thats exactly my plan of attack this weekend as per your recommendation. Thanks again for the advice.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:29 pm 
Goldfish

Turns out there was a corroded corner on the backup plate...took it out cleaned it up and the area it sat in and used a combination of quick steel and JB weld to fix. Stuff works amazingly!