www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:54 pm 
Goldfish

I am looking at a 1988 Liberator tonight in hopes of dragging it home. His HOA is gripping about it so he has to unload it. Says the head gasket needs to be replaced but the boat is in fine shape otherwise. I want to hear it start and run and put into gear before anything goes forward. Is this a big deal with these boats? What should I expect cost wise?
Thanks from a newbie
Smitty
I'd post a pic but I just joined.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Be careful, that boat is going on 25 years old and they used all wood in the structure of them back then and it could be all rotted, partially rotted, etc. A head gasket itself is not a big deal, but what can be is what events led up to its failure....overheat typically, which could cause other expensive damage. Sometimes with a blow HG you can get cooling water in the oil which also damages bearings if not fixed right away. So be careful.
Lastly if its got an OMC drive system I'd forget it because some parts are hard to find and so are good mechanics to work on them. I have one but I have my sources for parts and a good mechanic...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 pm 

Depends on the price. Expect to drop 1-5k in that boat so... it better be dirt ass cheap

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:35 pm 

It is too high in my opinion. I would let them sit on it for a few months. You would need to get below 1200 just to come out on salvage and parts in case something is really bad wrong. If you were talking about a 214, 251 or 261 with twins, then you would be in the ball park. At 2 grand, you could be looking at over 3k just to get it running.

400-800 on Electrical
2500 on cockpit
It does not leave much room at somewhere between 5k and 7k depending on how the market is.

The one good thing it is the right year. 89 and newer changed styling and any older models year by year get less fit.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/3409224509.html

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 am 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
I am looking at a 1988 Liberator tonight in hopes of dragging it home. His HOA is gripping about it so he has to unload it. Says the head gasket needs to be replaced but the boat is in fine shape otherwise. I want to hear it start and run and put into gear before anything goes forward. Is this a big deal with these boats? What should I expect cost wise?
Thanks from a newbie
Smitty
I'd post a pic but I just joined.

Howdy,

Hearing it run and putting it in gear won't tell you much on the trailer. It really needs to be in the water so you tell if it goes into and out of gear properly.

If it is powered by a Ford 460, and it needs exhaust manifolds, you might be dead in the water as no one is making them any more. (you can buy SS manifolds for more than the boat is worth though)

I'm with LouC, If it's OMC. I wouldn't buy unless it's practically "free".

Good luck,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 am 
Goldfish

ric wrote:
Depends on the price. Expect to drop 1-5k in that boat so... it better be dirt ass cheap

Picked up the boat last night for $500 so I figure at worst case I might have to do some work on it but at that price who cares right. ha! The guy I got it from is a sailor and one of his friends owed him some money so the guy gave him $1000 and the boat instead.
Really though after cleaning it up and seeing condition of it I stole it. The gelcoat and paint shined right up. Upholstery has cracks but serviceable at the moment. Stringers and floor have a solid feel. Carpet is ok. Need one port-side vent window. The railings will need to be re-finished by sanding, staining and polyurethane. I have an upholsterer who does excellent work. The fellow who owned it just put in a cranking new Sony/Kicker system. I can do most of the maintenance myself just don't have the facility to haul the boat for a motor replacement. The fellow I bought it from owns a business, has a 32' sailboat he uses. He's not power guy and had to move the boat last night or get fined a ton of money so he asked me to basically just take it. I obliged. I'll post pics after I get time this weekend. At the very least it'll be fun for the summer. Then who knows I might want something bigger and faster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:07 am 
Goldfish

jvthundercat wrote:

Yup! That's the one I got! $500 took it home last night. Thanks for the info on the right year too. It was in the water 7 months ago running and he's a boat guy. Motor looks fresh. All surfaces are still shiny black. Mercruiser outdrive turns nicely with no noises. He drained all fluids out when he took the boat 7 months ago. He was going to drop it off as a donation today if I didn't take last night. Titles for boat and Road Runner trailer with bearing buddies! Pulls like a dream.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:44 am 

Remember the forums golden rule...

"It didn't happen if there are no pictures."

Seriously though congratulations on the find and welcome to the family. Looking forward to seeings lot's of pictures of her.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm 
Goldfish

LVChris wrote:
Remember the forums golden rule...

"It didn't happen if there are no pictures."

Seriously though congratulations on the find and welcome to the family. Looking forward to seeings lot's of pictures of her.

Absolutely, I understand about pics pics pics. I've taken some but they are not too good for night shots. I will take some in the daylight this afternoon or this weekend. Thanks and look forward sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:36 pm 
Clownfish

Looks like a heck of a find just with the io's pictures on cl the boat looks in nice shape. So get out in the sun and let's see what it looks like now.

Used to own- mint 1974 amf 235 slickcraft. One greatly missed boat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
Picked up the boat last night for $500 so I figure at worst case I might have to do some work on it but at that price who cares right. ha! The guy I got it from is a sailor and one of his friends owed him some money so the guy gave him $1000 and the boat instead.
Really though after cleaning it up and seeing condition of it I stole it. The gelcoat and paint shined right up. Upholstery has cracks but serviceable at the moment. Stringers and floor have a solid feel. Carpet is ok. Need one port-side vent window. The railings will need to be re-finished by sanding, staining and polyurethane. I have an upholsterer who does excellent work. The fellow who owned it just put in a cranking new Sony/Kicker system. I can do most of the maintenance myself just don't have the facility to haul the boat for a motor replacement. The fellow I bought it from owns a business, has a 32' sailboat he uses. He's not power guy and had to move the boat last night or get fined a ton of money so he asked me to basically just take it. I obliged. I'll post pics after I get time this weekend. At the very least it'll be fun for the summer. Then who knows I might want something bigger and faster.

Nice Deal. I sold a boat and Trailer last year for $1200 that was similar in age, size and condition, but with no radio, and non-running OMC.

For your Teak, I recommend cleaning with Teak Cleaner & Brightener, then coating with "Sikkens" Re-Coating with Sikkens every 2-3 years will require very little prep work, and 1 quart will do all your teak several times. It never hardens & cracks like polyurethane might.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:13 pm 
french 829

Looks like this could work out. I hope it does for you. Certainly looks decent in the pictures for that price.

I use Sikkens on my deck and would never use anything else. It is amazing stuff.

2011 Nissan Armada Platnum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:08 pm 

SmittyDFW1 wrote:
jvthundercat wrote:

Yup! That's the one I got! $500 took it home last night. Thanks for the info on the right year too. It was in the water 7 months ago running and he's a boat guy. Motor looks fresh. All surfaces are still shiny black. Mercruiser outdrive turns nicely with no noises. He drained all fluids out when he took the boat 7 months ago. He was going to drop it off as a donation today if I didn't take last night. Titles for boat and Road Runner trailer with bearing buddies! Pulls like a dream.

That looks like a 211 Lib.

Be sure to drain the drive oil and replace. (Mercruiser: fill from bottom) and replace the raw water pump. Also, I would ensure the t-stat housing and the hose from the transom mount is free of impeller fragments or other debris.

Why does the PO think it needs head gaskets?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm 
Goldfish

As promised:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:43 pm 
Goldfish

Correctomundo I think it's a 211 too. I haven't looked for the VIN # yet, took all weekend getting things cleaned up so I can work on it and building a bridge from my drive to the street so I can back the trailer into the driveway.