www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 pm 
email admin your custom rank

flyweed wrote:
Well, I am going to start working on the tilt/trim relay today, see If I can get it up and going. I did find a full replacement unit on Ebay if needed....anyway, does the lower unit need to be in the full UP, trim pistons extended BEFORE I loosen them from the pump for removal?? I would assume so.

Thanks
Dan

Sounds like a good recipe for an oil shower! Unless you can securely block the drive up and prevent it's weight from putting pressure on the cylinders.

Otherwise, just leave it in the down position. Better yet, pull the pin out the drive so there is no pressure on the cylinders.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:20 pm 
Shark

LOL...no worries...I have those trim piston "boots" that slip onto the pistons once in the up position, they keep the weight of the lower unit off the pistons to prolong their life, especially while trailering the boat down the road. So I'm not at all worried about the lower unit dropping, forcing the pistons in and shooting hydraulic fluid all over me. From what I understand, in order to disconnect the hoses from the tilt.trim pump and for "topping off" the resevoir, the lower unit has to be in the UP position

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:57 am 

Yes, the cylinders are extended for filling the reservoir. But it doesn't matter what position for disconnecting the hoses, as long as there is no pressure on the cylinders.

Purging the air out of the lines and cylinders is quite easy also...you just need to cycle the trim back and forth full stroke about 3 times, then wait a few minutes for the bubbles to settle out, then do it about 2 more times. Done.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:49 pm 
Shark

well....here is my project for the next week or so. Besides working on the tilt/trim relay....I am also starting to replace the old worn out lounge seats, and sidewall pads. You can see I have the OLD out...and now I am trying to decide whether to mount the new seat mounts directly on TOP of the built in ones..it makes the seats higher, which I would love...hmmm...decisions, decisions.

In this photo you can see the NEW seat mount, on top of the boats original built in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:33 pm 
Shark

Well, not sure anyone else is following this, other than myself...LOL :lol:

Anyway, I've had success. I pulled the old tilt/trim relay motor pump out, and took it completely apart, cleaned everything, and the motor was just plain ole "SHOT"....so I found a good used unit on Ebay, replace the entire unit, and gave it a go..works like a charm now. Also, I found why everything kept going "dead" when I'd try and flip the ignition. the starter solenoid that sits on top of the starter was shot. The +positive post would actually spin inside the solenoid. So I ordered an aftermarket starter and solenoid off Ebay, should be here tomorrow. Will get that put in, and this boat should be ready for the water by the weekend.

Can't wait to get the old girl back up and on the water. And, I've thoroughly enjoyed troubleshooting and repairing it myself. Saved me $85 an hour labor rate, plus parts here locally. That's some savings!!!

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:08 pm 

Great, you're gettin her done, learning a lot, just like many of us. It looks like your deck is in good shape, lucky.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 pm 
Shark

Lou

Yeah, that's why I love this little boat.....it's a 1990, so it's gettin' up there in age, HAS sat out occasionally in the rain, gotten wet from kids jumping in and out when skiing or tubing..and the carpet is still in GOOD condition, but the wood floor under the carpet is still just ROCK SOLID. :)

I am just finishing putting in the new lounge seats..then that's all I can afford to do this year..Next spring it goes into the reupholstery shop, and gets ALL NEW vinyl on everything else to match the seats.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:56 am 

Looking good. Can't wait to see with new vinyl work.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 am 
Shark

Hey guy, quick question...I notice that when I raise or lower my drive with tilt/trim ,the guage on my dash, shows it all "full up" when it's full up...but the gauge stays "full up" until the drive get down about half way. Then it kick in, and shows the tilt down the rest of the way. I am assuming that this is some sort of "switch" or "sending" unit somewhere near the lower unit? I Just don't know where.

Thanks for any help

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 am 

flyweed wrote:
Hey guy, quick question...I notice that when I raise or lower my drive with tilt/trim ,the guage on my dash, shows it all "full up" when it's full up...but the gauge stays "full up" until the drive get down about half way. Then it kick in, and shows the tilt down the rest of the way. I am assuming that this is some sort of "switch" or "sending" unit somewhere near the lower unit? I Just don't know where.

Thanks for any help

Dan

You are quite lucky it work that well. The sending units are notoriously unreliable, and expensive to replace (both parts and labor). The sending unit is in the right side of the transom bracket. You can look up inside and see it when the drive is tilted up.

I would not do anything if the bottom half of the stroke is indicating OK.

Ray

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:56 am 

A lil tip:
It's a Cobra right?
Well the OEM sending units at NLA, but...
Sierra makes one and it is the only one that has lasted more than 1-2 years in salt. In fact I checked and it's been on FIVE years moored in salt and still works!
If you decide to replace it, I've got a lil trick for making it a 10 min job instead of a finger breaking cluster you know what....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:17 pm 

Does that 10 minute trick work for Volvo Penta too?

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:37 pm 

Yep
what you do, is turn the drive all the way to the port side, then look at where the wiring goes up to the top of the transom mount, right by the trim manifold/lines and water hose, you'll see em disappear into a little grommet. That goes through the transom mount and the wires appear on the inside near the steering arm/water inlet. A spot where you can barely get your hand, and there is a retainer clip on the inside part of the grommet. A real pain. My mechanic taught me this one.
So you cut the wire right near where the wiring on the outside goes into the transom mount. LEAVE the grommet IN PLACE.
Next you have to drill a hole in the transom mount, right where the wiring comes out of the trim sender, so it can pass through the transom mount. Put a grommet in the hole so the wiring does not get chafed. Next install your new trim sender. Cut off the OE terminals so the wire will fit through the hole you drilled.
Now run the wiring up the transom just like it was a transducer wire. Just make sure you leave enough slack for the drive to turn all the way to port. Now drill your hole in the transom, slide the wires through (this one can be pretty small) and seal it up good. Find the where the OE wiring from the sender is and disconnect it the OE wiring that came from the sender to the inside harness. Fab up some bullet quick disconnect terminals for the trim wiring from the harness, and put on the corresponding correct terminals for the wiring from the sender. Plug em in and it should work. Once its set up like this you can change one in about 10 min, the part that takes the longest is pulling out the old sealer. In contrast to stuffing yourself under the rear hatch, jamming yourself in between the engine and the transom mount and trying to reach that God forsaken grommet & clip. LOL.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ugdxo8n6dfab ... d.jpg?dl=0

this pic was from before the boat was painted, see the old oxidized gelcoat....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6777spyd01u8 ... a.JPG?dl=0

after paint job.
PS the Sierra trim sender I put in for the 2010 season still works, the OE ones never lasted that long....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:42 pm 
Shark

Lou

yes, mine is an OMC Cobra. Do you have a replacement part # and best place to get it? I may try and replace it myself..seems pretty straight forward.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 am 

It's a Sierra part, any dealer that sells Sierra parts can order it for you, I got it from Iboats...

2008 Walker Bay 8