www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1989? 190 Freedom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

So my uncle is searching for a trailer for his Ski Nautique when he stumbled across this. The guy just wants it gone so I think he got it for almost nothing. He was thinking he would rework the trailer to fit his boat, but if he can get enough out of it to buy a ski boat trailer he may just sell it.
They were told or thought it was a 1999 but it looks like a 1989 to me. Says it runs but hasn't tested it yet. Has the 4.3 OMC in it. He's going to put it in his pole building until spring when he can test the motor.
Any advice on what to look out for? Soft floors? Engine/drive?
More pics to come.

Post subject: Re: 1989? 190 Freedom
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:04 pm 

The first thing I'd look for, is a good mechanic that knows how to adjust the shift linkage. I've taught myself how to do it, but in some areas if its not a Merc they all play dumb. Its not hard to learn, just different. I can tell you when its set up right if the gears were good in the first place not worn from a bad cable or adjustment (ie jumps out of gear), it shifts BETTER than a Merc and is quieter too.
Some parts are getting hard to find, like the one piece exhaust manifolds (but there are 2 piece conversions out there).
You basically have to check for all the old boat problems, that are a result of poor construction techniques. As in, carpeted decks on a wood cored plywood deck. It is just bad construction, unless the boat was stored inside in a dry environment. Its just me but I'd rip all the carpet out, re-glass the deck and then either gelcoat it or use a marine non skid paint. That alone, in combination with sealing all the drilled holes for mounting seats, will let it dry out and not rot.

I went through all this with my '88 so I been there done that.

That boat looks good, hope its not rotted under the carpet....

The OMC, with the right mechanic, is just fine. Mine has held up to harder use than any freshwater region will ever see. Six months/year moored in salt water. Twelve seasons worth.

That's definitely an '89, does the seller not know that the last 2 digits of the HIN on the starboard transom tell you the year??

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:31 pm 

I was also going to say that the HIN will indicate the model year in the last two digits.
Here is a good explanation of HIN formats: http://nasbla.org/files/public/Enf%20&%20Training/NASBLA%20HIN%20comp.pdf

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:53 am 

The colors look to be 1990-1991 due to the white upper of the hull side, and the font of the freedom on the top. Could be an 89 though, mines an 89 and I recall most of them having sold sides. These boats are actually great little ski boats.

Looks like your in SE Michigan, if he needs OMC parts Michigan Marine Gear is the place. The owner is from the original OMC team, and purchased most of the dead stock when OMC was transitioned. This is the best shop in town for OMC - http://www.michiganmarinegear.com/

I personally use Art Cook Marine service on Harsens Island for my work, but thats due to proximity, and a personal relationship, but Art knows his ways around OMC stuff as well.

Just look for soft spots on the floor, but it doesn't mean you cant use the boat, and big thing like LouC mentioned is the shift cables, listen for grinding of gears upon shifting, will tell you what type of shape the drive is in. Frankly it might be a great little boat for the price (sounds like you got a deal), and depending on the interior condition all it may need is little elbow grease and some compound it might clean up just right. Double check to see if it was properly winterized. Overall just check the fluid in the drive and make sure everything is aligned and not dry rotted.

Doubtful the trailer will work for him, for the Nautique you really need a trailer with a drop down for the rutter/keel/prop depending on the year. Also the Nautiques have more of a flat bottom, where some of these FW trailers were designed for the deeper V that comes on the I/O boats.

Best of luck,

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com