www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm 
Tadpole

New Four Winns owner. Purchased a 1981 Marquise 160 - all original. It's been sitting in a barn for most of its life.
After having it out on the water for the first time (after a couple of months getting everything working), I noticed some water in the bilge. I traced the water to the bow and suspected that there was a leak at the deck/hull joint. After removing the bump rail, lo and behold, there is absolutely no sealant in the joint! Am putting 3M 5200 in and calling it a day. Anyone else have this issue with older models? I am perplexed by this since all else is of high quality construction as far as I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would not use 5200 unless it NEVER EVER needs to come apart! Otherwise I would use 4200 as it will separate easier if needed and still hold as tight and provide the same seal. 5200 is equal to a permanent weld. Where as 4200 is a very strong seal that can be removed if ever needed.

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 am 
Tadpole

Hi Jdpber
I debated that for a while. Given the age of the boat I settled on a 'permanent' fix. But the feedback is important. I'm reconsidering it and may go the 4200 route. Any notion as to why it was not sealed in the first place?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm 
268 Vista

Is deck hull joint screwed together or riveted? Are there backing boards behind the joint ?

Regardless. Use 3M 4000UV to seal it. That is what it was intended for.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1091 ... owners.pdf

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the advice! Yes, the 3M 4000UV looks like the best option.
The deck/hull joint is screwed together. There is a 1"x0.5" wood backing board along the inside of the joint where the screws attach. Some of the screws are behind the rub rail, most are screwed in through the rail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 pm 
Dolphin

Hi Tadpole, good luck with the barn find. This may not be much help, however I thought I would chine in. My previous boat, before my FW 275V was a Larson 260 Cabio. It developed a sometime leak on the cabin floor carpeting. After much interior removal, I noticed water laying on top of the deck to hull joint inside the cabin just below a port hole window. Make a long story short the water was running down the deck (outside), hitting the rub rail and getting in next to the rub rail screws. The screws were not sealed entering the hull to deck to wood backing. I would up pulling off the entire rub rail, resetting it in 3M 4000. It took a day to do, however, I sold the boat a few years later and it was still dry. It got a little messy while doing it, I found the best thing to clean up the excess 4000 as I was working was a pile of old T-shirts and a solution of Acetone and Lacquer Thinner mixed 50-50. The Lacquer Thinner slowed down the evaporation of the Acetone giving me time to work. Hope this helps.