www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 am 
Guppy

I have a 1995 Ford 5.0L with multi port EFI. The engine always starts immediately when cold and runs great. After pulling skiers, tubers, etc. and then shutting it off to swim for a while when I try to start the engine (still warm) it is very difficult to start and keep running. It acts as though it is vapor locked. After several minutes of starting, dying over and over, backfiring, etc. it begins to run great again I didn't think a Fuel injected engine could vapor lock. Could this be a vapor lock situation?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:10 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I believe it is vapor lock. I had a '95 190 Horizon with that engine. On a very rare occasion I had a little vapor lock. If possible, keep the engine idling to help cool it down, but don't run it if you have people in the water. If possible, keep the engine blower fan running. If, possible, open the engine compartment to let it ventilate. When the engine is worked (like pulling tubes for a while) the water temp should stay within normal range, but the oil temp does come up. There is no oil temp gauge, so no way of knowing, but you will probably notice lower oil pressure at idle when it is hot. When the engine is shut down that engine heat warms up the engine compartment and fuel lines. When restarting, you will probably notice the water temp rise well above normal for a minute or so. Hope this helps.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:27 pm 
Shark

I had the same issue on my 1993 Ford 5.0 EFI. I changed both fuel pumps but unfortunately never got to test it out personally, but the new owners said they have had no issues with the boat.

1993 Horizon 190 5.0 EFI (Sold)