Clownfish

Just trying to get a post in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:25 pm 

YEA, i might have to delete this section and title it "previous models"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:30 am 
268 Vista

I remember when the forum first started, one guy was bugging you to add the liberator section. He disappeared right after that. I like your idea.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:35 pm 
268 Vista

Looks like he is back, now I understand why he wanted this section.

http://ifourwinns.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185

Who wants to jump on a plane and go look at it. :roll:

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:48 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Quote:
Who wants to jump on a plane and go look at it.

Capn, you better drive so you will have something to pull it home with when you buy it. Pick me up in Cleveland on your way through, we'll make a road trip out of it.

Post subject: 1989 211 Liberator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:40 am 
Tadpole

:D Hello,
We have a 1989 211 Liberator. I've got photos, just have to find them and figure out how to post them.
My wife and I love this boat. It's great in the rough water!! Much better than our previous boat.
I'll attach photos soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:24 pm 

Howdy all,

Well me too!

I have an 87 211 Liberator.

Pretty neat boat (now that I fixed it!!)

anybody else out there in radio land with a Liberator?

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:12 pm 
Dolphin

New member 1988 261 Liberator twin 460 cobras 8) 8)

Rockford Mi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:30 pm 

Howdy,

You've got a pretty cool boat in some ways......My brother bought mine new in 1987. He told me that he would have liked to get a 261 but was afraid of the big gas bill (even in those days!!)

I think now I would be more afraid of the 460's!!

I still have the King Cobra gimbal, drive, props, trim cyls/pump etc sitting on the floor. I removed the 460 engine because it needed rebuilding. (it had a flat camshaft) All I could get out of it was about 4200rpm at WOT. I ended up selling the engine to a guy that is going to rebuild it and put it in a pickup! There's nothing wrong with the drive etc.....I suppose I'll just put it all on ebay or something.

I was going to rebuild the 460 when the 454/Bravo III dropped in my lap.

What sort of top speed do you get with the 261?

zephyrracer wrote:
New member 1988 261 Liberator twin 460 cobras 8) 8)

Rockford Mi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:20 pm 
Dolphin

ht32bsx115

Hows it going my friend i havent had it out yet previous owner said 65 mpi
the carbs look small for a 460 so if i teflon waxed the hull and bigger carbs a
good tune i bet 70 or 75 but i understand the omc outdrives arnt the best so i will tune it good and drive it respectfully. I have had it hooked up to the muffs and it sounds awsome cant wait to try it out the boat has 310 hrs on it very clean. Where are you located what all do you have for sale.
Gregg 8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:32 pm 
Dolphin

Forgot the gas thing is oh well :cry: :roll:
Gregg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:23 pm 

Hi Gregg,

Depending on your prop pitch....According to my OMC King Cobra Owner's--Operator's Manual you should see about 4400-4800 RPM at WOT (wide open throttle) Everybody I talk to says you want to be at the high RPM(4800) ..... My brother told me that he routinely saw 5000 RPM (maybe that's what flattened the cam......but he ran it that way from 1987 to about 2004 or so. I bought it in 2005)

At 5000 RPM(and a 19p prop re-pitched to 20) he clocked it at 60 mph(with a radar gun).

I have everything but the engine.....including the bell housing, exhaust manifolds/risers, shift plate/esa plus a new (old stock) shift assist module. I also have the OMC kit for adding a heater (which consists of a different thermostat housing and instructions to add fittings, hoses to add a cabin heater or a water heater using engine heat)

(I did sell the coupler though) Speaking of couplers, you should try to find one for a spare because if you spin a coupler on either side you'll be done. You also have to remove the engine to replace it. No other way. Also if you don't have a service manual you should get one. I ended up having to buy a reprint. (it was about $100!!) I also have the 7.5 Parts Catalog.

Is yours fresh water (closed) cooled? That makes your exhaust manifolds last a LOT longer.

There was really not a lot wrong with the Cobras........except OMC being out of business (the early ones had lower shift cable problems which was finally fixed with a new improved cable.... You can identify it by it's red color) you might want to do a little reading........ if you haven't seen this: http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/
This guy has REALLY done his homework. (If you don't plan to do any of the maintenance you should give this to your mechanic. He should already know about it!!! If he doesn't, you might want to find a OMC mechanic that does!! If the lower shift cable is not adjusted correctly you can seriously damage the drive)

Speaking of damage. If you have anyone change the oil in your Cobras, be absolutely sure that they fill them in strict accordance with the service manual. (that means NEVER filling them exclusively from the bottom (like a Mercruiser) THAT WILL trap an air bubble in the drives causing you to oil- starve the upper gears and bearings. It will destroy the drive in less than 30 min!

If you are where it gets cold, (and you're not closed cooled) be absolutely sure you drain the block, and manifolds or you will crack everything!

I would also go the extra step of putting the drives in a large tub of 50/50 water antifreeze mix and running the engines until the temp comes up to operating temp to circulate AF everywhere. My Mercruiser 454 Bravo is closed cooled but the raw water pump, and plumbing that includes the power steering and eng oil coolers are on the raw water side as is the heat exchanger and exhaust elbows. I started up the engine and ran it on muffs until it was at operating temp to change the oil. Then I took about 3 gallons of 50/50 in a pail and put the hose to the muffs in it & ran the engine until it sucked all the mix thru the cooling system. This way any residual water in the engine will have AF in it and shouldn't freeze.

I'm pretty anal about all this stuff, I know. I read about a LOT of people even up here in the NW that break blocks, manifolds, oil coolers, etc every year because they didn't get all the water out of the blocks/manifolds. It's a pain but the alternative is engine/manifold replacement.

You may may already know all of this stuff, if so, please ignore all my ramblings 8) 8) !!

I haven't really figured out what to do with all this stuff. I figured I would just put it all on ebay or craigslist and part it all out over the winter.

Hope you had a good thanksgiving! Merry Christmas!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:31 pm 
Dolphin

Hi Rick sounds like you know a bit about the boat thing, myself I am into drag cars engines no problem the outdrives I have to learn.
Mabe you can help me on this one starboard engine I was able to warm the engine and run 3 gal of anti freeze through it.

On the port side the engine starts and shuts off very soon (fuel pump) long story short I could only drain the manifolds block and took all hoses off and made sure they are empty of water going out now to fill with anti freeze, hope I get it rite.

Ok hers my question on the outdrives I pulled the screws out buttom right to drain the gear case and I noticed a screw on the port side of the upper case
so I took them off to drain heres the problem there is nothing on the inside of the case to hold the drain screw? am I in trouble here , glad I did take it out as there was water traped there. Im looking for an owners manual where did you get yours when I bought the boat nothing cam with it. So far this forum has been a wealth of onfo on what to repair and what parts to use.
Well going out to the barn to work thanks for any help in advance.
Gregg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 pm 

Gregg,

well yes and no. You are sort of in trouble in that you need to remove the drive to get that "bolt" back on but since you really need to remove both drives to check the u-joints, bellows & alignment anyway it doesn't really matter. If you have water in one of the drives you'll need to get it pressure checked and resealed if required.

That bolt/plug on the port side of the upper gear housing shouldn't ever be removed. There's a nut on the other side(inside) and there was an "OMC Cobra" emblem over it that is probably missing...a lot of them are missing (mine's missing!) You find out where the nut went when you remove the drive. It's there, it did not go into the drive in the lubricated area. That area under the bolt is a water flow area. I can't tell you why it's there. Someone here may know. My OMC service manual doesn't address it since there's a plastic emblem glued over it.

I am guessing that you bought the boat from someone that hasn't run it in a long time. At the bare minimum you should be replacing the raw water pumps, removing the drives and replacing the drive bellows, checking/adjusting the alignment, and replacing the drive oil. There's also a procedure to adjust the lower shift cables too. That "Hastings" article is probably a good reference for that.

If you drained the blocks..be ABSOLUTELY sure that you remove the petcocks and poke a small screwdriver or piece of wire into the holes in the blocks to free the rust flakes and sand. Run more water thru the blocks to rinse out the debris.... also remove rubber caps from the lower back of each exhaust manifold and poke a screwdriver or suitable piece of wire to free the rust in the lower part of the jacketed exhaust manifolds. even if you have a little bit of water in them they could crack at the bottom. You don't want your manifolds cracking. you cannot buy them anymore. (Doug Russell Marine has them listed for $1400 EACH but I'm not sure if they can even get them!!)

Also if the riser/elbow gaskets have not been replaced or you cannot determine if they have been replaced you really need to break the elbows from the manifolds and replace the gaskets. If they leak they'll leak raw water back into the exhaust that will run into an open exhaust valve when you shut down. You don't want to wait until they leak..... This will hydrolock the engine PLUS you may not find out until after it has set for a winter with water sitting on top of 1 or more pistons.

The drives have 3 openings for oil.

The top one is the place where you check the level and remove to drain them (air goes in there)

The bottom one is the drain hole.

The "middle" one is the fill port. You fill it there with a pump until it shows at the full mark on the dipstick (top) with the dipstick resting on threads allowing for a slight over fill.

Then you run it. After running, the air bubbles inside rise to the top and lower the level. Then subsequent checks are made with the dipstick fully threaded into the top hole. Then add oil to fill it the rest of the way.

Here's some more info at http://www.sterndrive.info/id270.html

There's a lot of info at that site on the Cobra.

You have your work cut out for you! (I'm hoping that you did not pay a lot for this boat!! :D )

Cheers,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:31 pm 
Dolphin

Rick
Thanks for the heads up on the riser/elbow gasket , the boat did sit for 2 years (stored inside) always in out service never trailered. Since I dont know the history of the boat I am going to do some pre season maintainance to start off fresh. I went out and purchased a Clymer OMC manual looks like it will be helpfull. The hull and interior on this boat is very very clean which was important to me as I am able to do the mechanical work myself and make a real nice old boat out of it, most people probably wouldnt bother with this much work but I love the design of this boat and I paid about half of its value. Yesterday I went out to the barn and ran some 50 50 af through the block put the drain plugs back in and filled it up the rest of the way flushed out the exhaust manifolds and filled them up as well looks like good for the winter. There was no water in the gear cases oil looked fresh like it was just serviced only water came from the port side screws.
Other than a fuel pump im going to rebuild the carbs pull both drives and look thins over replace all the gaskets and rubber parts ( rock and roll time )
Thanks for all your help Gregg