www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:50 pm 
Seahorse

So far we have had our 1994 Freedom 170 boat out 4 times and each time after a few hours there is a black film covering the rear of the boat at the water line. The boat doesn't leak any fluids and doesn't use any oil. I'm new to boating and this may be a dumb question but do others have this problem? I'm guessing it is exhaust residue and is normal and hope I'm right. Anyone else have the same problem? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Villiage Idiot

This is not normal. Have you checked your outdrive Oil?

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

When we first got our boat it did the same thing (slight exhaust looking residue on the back). The guy before us didn't use the boat hardly at all. After we ran it several week ends it stopped. I don't know if we ran the carbon out of it but it seems to run better now and we no longer get that black residue.
Hope this helps.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:06 pm 

Typically I find a dark brown residue on the back of the boat but it is the "pollen" from the seagrass near the dock and there is not a lot of grass but it but it makes a mess simply because the way it is tied up with the back usually facing "upstream" of the lake current.
My 4 stoke SeaDoo used to leave an additional black film on the transom and did so since new but the exhaust was routed through the jet nozzel only a few inches below the waterline. It was tough to clean off. It like black soot but in a film form if that makes any sense. If it were my boat I would check drive oil and then double check my engine oil. I would check on my white bumpers or some such for the same black stuff you are finding on the hull. If the fluids look clean (not choclate milk like) and topped up and there are no deficiancies in the way it is running then I would chalk it up to exhaust or lake scum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 am 

Howdy,

If it's exhaust related you probably need to run the automatic choke a little leaner.

I have completely disabled my automatic choke. If the engine warms up quickly it's probably running a little rich from the closed choke and the black is possibly soot that floats to the surface and collects on the stern. You'll have to remove the flame arrester to see the choke action.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:36 am 
Seahorse

Thanks for the replies. Just returned from vacation and checked this thread. I just checked the outdrive oil and it is full and clean as new so I doubt it is leaking. Also,the drive is very clean on the outside with no sign or leaks or oily residue. I'm chalking it up to exhaust residue. I will check the choke to make sure it isn't too rich but it does seem to run and start fine.