www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A true newbie!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:02 pm 
Tadpole

Hi everybody!
I work for a car dealership and a few months back, out of blue, a customer offered to trade in a boat for one of our cars.
In order to figure out the value of the trade-in, I went online and did some research. Mainly websites with used boats listed for sale.
To make a long story short, I didn't end up trading with the guy but, while doing my "research", I developed a strong urge to get myself a toy for the upcoming summer.
Mind you, I live just outside Chicago, near the coolest body of fresh water (Lake Michigan), and Chain of Lakes.
After about a month of "ebaying" and "craigslisting", I am a proud owner of a Four Winns 267 Quest!
It wasn't in greatest shape (don't get me wrong, the design is still stunning), so I had to roll up my sleeves.
So far, I re-painted the hull, refinished the teak swim platform, and now I am working on wood details inside the cabin.
There is a lot more to be done, but I must tell you guys, watching the progress before your own eyes is very exciting!
Anyways, I hope not to be too much of a bother with my silly questions, as I am sure I will have plenty of them.

Post subject: Re: A true newbie!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 pm 
wkearney99

Congrats on the new project! What year 267 is it?

How about the engine and transmission? Are they working properly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:03 am 
Tadpole

Thanks!
It's a 1987 with a very clean 350 Mercruiser engine and Alpha One outdrive.
I had a guy start it up, and it sounded like fine tuned Corvette.
Since, I haven't messed with the motor, or transmission.
The batteries on it look almost hazardous, so I will need to get new ones.
Any suggestions on make and model I should get? The ones in there look very similar to car batteries.
Luckily, one of my technicians has worked on boats in the past, so he is going to help me with the mechanical stuff in exchange for a few weekends on it after it's in the water.
Also, I am thinking of replacing the instrument panel. It has seven gauges, any suggestions?
I understand it is supposed to be a serious fishing boat, but I don't think I wanna do any of that.
Just some fun in the sun.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:13 am 
Shark

Welcome to the board and congrats on your purchase!!

Now... pics, pics, pics, we need pics!

I have an '88 Sundowner that I will be repainting and repairing, including the teak! I'm anxious to see your work!

5.7L OMC Cobra
'01 F150 4.2L

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Howdy,

Congrats on your boat!

You need to do some things to ensure that it stays reliable though.

You do not have a transmission by the way. You have an Alpha stern drive. There are some things you need to do before you put it on the water...... (you can go over to iBoats and download a complete service manual in the Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo...... section. Look for the "Adults Only" sticky at the top of the forum)

The drive needs to be drained, and checked for water intrusion (in the oil) Then it needs to be removed and the alignment, bellows, U-joints, and associated other "stuff" checked. (if the bellows is looking really old it should be replaced.) If it's cracked and has leaked, you will see it right away and may have to replace the gimbal bearing, yoke, and U-joints. If they fail while underway, it will cause a LOT of damage. and you'll have to get towed back in....
By the way, if you do have an alignment problem, it will cause a coupler failure which will cause you get towed in. Coupler replacement requires the engine to be removed to accomplish it. (thats why Mercury suggests checking the alignment every 100hrs or so...)

Unless the previous owner can tell you that the raw water pump was replaced in the last year or so, it must be replaced. (I wouldn't believe him and I'd replace it anyway....if it's "bad", it will cause the engine to overheat almost immediately. If you ran the engine without water going into the drive with an adapter and hose before you started it.....and it was ran more than about 20 sec, you should replace the raw water pump for that reason alone!) If you find that it is disintegrated, you MUST locate all the remnants of the pump failure (the pieces usually go downstream and get lodged in the oil cooler, PS cooler, or thermostat housing and cause overheats)

If you cannot tell when the manifolds & risers were removed last it would be a good idea to remove them and check their condition and replace the riser gaskets with new ones.

As far as battery. I like the Optima (or any sealed/gelled electrolyte battery) because it cannot leak or "out-gas" They are the most reliable and the safest.

Gages........ Boaters World is going out of business. You can probably go over there and get a SMOKING cheep deal on a set of Teleflex gages!

They're as good as any.... I like VDO marine. Ebay has a Lot of marine gages too! Just make sure you get senders for them.

Good luck!

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm 
wkearney99

What Rick said. The point of all the checking is to make sure you don't get stuck out on the water. If you haven't already, look into towing service in your boating area. And if you haven't already, find a local US Power Squadron chapter and take a Boat Safety course.

And by transmission I meant the drive. As he's pointed out there are number of critical things about drives (in general) that have to be maintained properly. Another being the rubber bellows on it (so it doesn't leak and let the boat sink).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm 
Tadpole

LOL,
Even though most of what Rick said didn't sound like English to me, I got the point.
HAVE THE MECHANICS INSPECTED BY A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE U PUT IT IN THE WATER!
Got it, friends.
I know my limitations, and one of them is it.
That's why I am doing the cosmetics myself, and having fun doing it.
Just by looking, I figured I must get the batteries, and the new gauges. Also, I will need a mooring cover.
It came with a pretty cool and clean bimini top, so that will have to do for now. Camper tops are silly expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:32 pm 

Quote:
Camper tops are silly expensive.
:shock:

Yup....just about EVERYTHING for a boat is "Silly Expensive"!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:37 pm 

where are you located? I can recommend a good canvas shop in SE Mi.

Past: 1989 180 Horizon

http://www.robcamerondesign.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:36 pm 

Welcome and just so you know we do not believe anything is real until we see pictures.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:21 am 
Nauti Luv

Teacher Todd wrote:
Welcome and just so you know we do not believe anything is real until we see pictures.

:)

Yep, as far as I am concerned...this never happened...till I see some pics!!! :lol:

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4