www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbe needs advice....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:27 am 
Tadpole

Wow, what an incredible forum. I have been reading for days and decided to join to answer a few questions from the experts. So, thank you in advance for your help!

I have a chance to get a 1986 Four Winns Santara 215. The motor clock says 287 original miles. It has a 5.7 MERC CRUISER. It was titled in 1988 but manufactured in 1986. It also comes with a matching steel trailer. (A little rust on that).

The boat is immaculate. It has nothing wrong. The interior is all original. No ripps or tears anywhere that I could find. It has a v8 engine which started right up every time. The boat is dry. It is a deep v so my kids can't fall out. The cuddy cabin looks brand new. Everything works... (well, the horn is rather soft but I can live with that).

Now, here is my question... what can I expect to pay for this boat. I know what he is asking for it but want to see what you guys think. I did the NADA and with the add ons, his asking price is right on but let me know what you think.

I have searched the internet for a similar boat but I just can't find too many...

Again, thanks!

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am 
268 Vista

Lately, with the economy as it is, 17% off NADA is about what boats are worth. It depends more on the particular boat and it's condition, but you can use that as a reference point.

This boat does look to be in pretty good condition for it's age.

*Disclaimer..... I am NO expert :D

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:51 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Howdy,

If you're thinking about making an offer (and you're in an area where it freezes), don't buy it unless you can run it in the water at normal cruising speed with a short run at WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

This way you can tell if there is over-heating issues, whether or not there's water in the oil, and whether it will make rated WOT RPM (which is usually an indication of if the engine is in normal running condition)

Also, drain a little drive oil to check for metal & water and ask if the drive oil has been changed recently (in the last couple of years).....

There's other things to check like engine oil (changed last season?), filters etc. I hate to do cross posting but the following posts have good info to consider.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=329915

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:09 am 
Tadpole

We did get this boat... beautiful.... I was not able to do all of your checks of the boat... Got the message too late. But some we did and it passed with flying colors.

Anything else I should know?

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 am 
268 Vista

djmm wrote:
We did get this boat...
Anything else I should know?

Drive it like you stole it ! :D

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:13 am 
Dolphin

I am surprised a marine survery was not suggested. Pay a pro to check it out for you that knows exactly what to look for.