www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:27 am 
Minnow

I'm currently in the market to buy an old Liberator and being a boating newb I need a little help. What I have found is an 85 Liberator with what I believe should be the Limited Edition package. The boat is part of an estate sale and the lawyer has very little information to give me on the boat. Pictures show it to have a Mercruiser 300 Tempest engine, an option for the Limited Edition. It also has the stainless steering wheel. I cannot seem to find any information on that engine, but it does appear to have an Edelbrock intake manifold. Would this be factory and part of the reason they went from 270 to 300hp?

The rear seat and sundeck appear to need a little vinyl work, as does the captain's chair, but the boat was in the shop getting the hull repainted when the owner died. The hull looks fantastic in the pictures and overall the cuddy and helm look very clean. The boat is a couple hours drive away so I want to know what I'm getting into before I go look at it.

Any suggestions on what I should look for or what I should be paying for something like this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:32 am 
email admin your custom rank

Try to find out if the boat was stored outside or inside...if outside was it covered? The main risk in buying a boat that old is wood rot in the transom...deck...stringers and engine mounts...if it was stored inside (check the interior for mildew or mold...if you find that it's likely it was covered outside)...it's not that likely to have rot but still if the transom seal around the outdrive mount leaks you can have water intrusion into the transom...then there's the mechanical aspect which needs to be checked out by a good marine mechanic...having done a deck replacement I'd never buy another old boat that might need such work...it's very expensive to get it done and hazardous to your health if you do it yourself (have to wear respirator...tyvec suit...etc...)

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:28 pm 
Minnow

From the pictures it looked to be well maintained and is covered. Because it is part of an estate sale and the guy had no family, there really just isn't any information to be had, other than that it is currently sitting at the shop that painted the hull, since the man passed away while the boat was having the work done. He was a lawyer and didn't seem to mind spending money on it. The outdrive and prop both look great and the engine bay looks very clean. My guess is that the boat is mechanically sound, otherwise there would be no reason to invest $3400 into painting the hull.

I just cannot seem to find any information on this engine or which outdrive it should have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:45 pm 

I'd ask around and see if you can get someone who knows how to inspect composite wood/fibrglass hulls to check the deck...transom....and what you can see of the enging mount stringers....about the drive system...see if there are ID plates with serial #s and post em on the I/O forum of iboats.com...there are some real experts who can tell you or just bring the #s to a Merc dealer and ask them...I'd advise being careful because if the wood structure of the boat is rotted it can be a real distaster to make it seaworthy again....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:45 am 
Minnow

Any idea on what the top speed of this setup should be? No clue if it has the Alpha SS, maybe someone with more knowledge could tell from a couple pictures I was sent. Is the 300 Tempest even anything to get remotely excited about?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:02 am 
Tadpole

WOW what a small world, sorry to say that I just picked this boat up. Seemed like such a good deal that I bought without test run :shock:
I am a mechanic so possible issues do not worry me as much

I have dewinterized and test run on the muffs, sounds great! I have researched and found the engine to be a special option from mercruiser, hand assembled with a crane roller cam, 4 bolt main block and steel crank,forged pistons,good heads, screw in studs and guide plates topped with an edelbrock intake 300hp at 5100 rpm.
This engine was offered as an option in 1985 from for winns according to the old brochure.

It also has the rear camper top and side zip in windows that look to have never been installed but the actual top is missing, I am hoping to find one some how HELP

Sea test to come as soon as weather allows

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:27 am 

Snag!!! Looks promising.

I'm thinking KKoepp31 isn't going to be happy but it obviously wasn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm 

Quote:
300hp at 5100 rpm.

Let us know how it runs! .........that 300 hp is crankshaft HP though. They didn't "prop-shaft" rate them until much later.

My 87 211 (OMC 460) was rated at 340 (crankshaft) HP. The engine (1997 454/Bravo) I have now is rated at 300 prop-shaft HP which makes it about the same as before.......(The carbed 454's are rated at 330 crank HP).

It used to do right at 60mph running at 5000 rpm when it was OMC powered...... (200rpm over OMC max rpm)

It now will do 57 MPH at 4600 RPM lightly loaded.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:58 pm 

Quote:
Any suggestions on what I should look for or what I should be paying for something like this?

At the bare minimum, you should have the engine inspected for cracks (if it's in a area that experiences freezing temps) and the oil should be drained and inspected for water. The drive should be drained and inspected for water..... remove the spark plugs and inspect for rust/corrosion. Look for rust lines on the manifolds/risers. If they're original, plan on replacing them.

The floor and transom should be carefully inspected for water intrusion and rot.

It's almost 25 years old......It's worth whatever they can get for it!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:37 pm 
Tadpole

Well I finally got the boat in the water today, seems to run out nice. I made a couple of short wide open runs, boat fully loaded, 3 adults, full fuel tank and gps showed 50 mph at aprox 4600 rpm this is with a 19 prop.
I have run a few 5.7 mercs and have always ben able to tell when the four barrel opens, this one i could not. Maybe I will take a look at the linkages on the carb. Stuck :?:
I need to check my fuel gauge also, ran for 4 hours today and it still shows full. (not likely)
Also need to clean or replace trim sender, gauge not working and the limit switch is alowing full trim with trim button and not the trailer button?
NICE Boat,I recieved a few compliments for the condition of the boat considering that it is nearly 25 years old :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:11 pm 

rkedge wrote:
Well I finally got the boat in the water today, seems to run out nice. I made a couple of short wide open runs, boat fully loaded, 3 adults, full fuel tank and gps showed 50 mph at aprox 4600 rpm this is with a 19 prop.
I have run a few 5.7 mercs and have always ben able to tell when the four barrel opens, this one i could not. Maybe I will take a look at the linkages on the carb. Stuck :?:
I need to check my fuel gauge also, ran for 4 hours today and it still shows full. (not likely)
Also need to clean or replace trim sender, gauge not working and the limit switch is alowing full trim with trim button and not the trailer button?
NICE Boat,I recieved a few compliments for the condition of the boat considering that it is nearly 25 years old :)

50 mph is probably in the ballpark with that engine..... I would think considering the prop pitch. If the engine is running right, you might also try a SS 17p prop and see if you turn up to 5000 RPM or so. do you know your drive ratio?

The above things are easy to fix.

You might also consider exposing the tank sender and remove it. Raise the bow and You can then easily "vacuum" (SIPHON) out the tank with a long piece of clear vinyl 3/4" hose.

Drain into 5 gallon containers. You'll get any debris/water in the bottom of the tank that way. I would also pull the fuel pickup tube and inspect the screen

Then you can replace the fuel gage sender. They're fairly inexpensive. I used the following type.....

http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tan ... nk_Sensors

My boat is over 20 years old too.......I replaced my fuel tank sender, anti-siphon valve, and fuel lines.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 pm 
Tadpole

Thanks for the reply, the drive ratio is 1.5
The prop is marked quick silver 19 pitch, I will run it again with fresh fuel next time out(tank was full when I purchased the boat)
The fuel gauge issue appears to be the gauge itself, stays on full with the key in the off position. Does yours go to empty when key is switched off?
50 on the gps is ok, my last boat would run 58 gps but it didnt even have room for a cooler :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:37 pm 
Tadpole

I have a 1985 liberator I just bought this spring the boat runs great but I cant seem to get my top speed past 38 mph on the gauge. I havent checked the speed on a gps but Ive been on boats doing 50 mph and It doesnt feel like in doing 50 mph. The boat has the 5.7 tempest 300. I have paperwork from the guy I bought it from showing the outdrive was rebiult, the prop is a 19 pitch and is in decent condition not sure what is wrong everyone I talk to says the boat should do 50 mph. Any suggestions?