www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 am 
268 Vista

Thought some of you Lib owners might be interested in this. The boat was advertised on a local Craigslist. Here is the add.
Quote:
I'm going to be perfectly honest, this boat looks good from the outside no big dings or any holes in the hull. The exterior is white and blue. The inside however needs all new apolstry, the cutty cabin is ok but could do with a good cleaning. The Boat DOES NOT RUN. It needs a new distributer and fresh gas, then it should be good to go. As far as I know everthing else works prop and outboard unit is all in working condition. The trailer has seen better days, it needs one new tire and a bearing on the right front drum before it will go anywhere. The engine is a chvey 454 I did hear it run however only for about 15 seconds before it coughed and died and wasn't able to get it going again, needs to be timed properly. (Water in the lines?). Would be a good boat to fix up over the winter, and use next spring. I need to get rid of the thing, and hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. You can get ahold of me at 616-826-7178, or e-mail me but calling is the better way to go as I do not check my e-mail very often. I didnt think to take pictures of the inside, all I can say is what I said up above the captains chairs need to be either replaced or reaposlterd as does the sun deck(engine cover) and the back couch, also the wood could do with a nice refinish, and the gas tank cover inbetween the chairs should be replaced. I apologize to the people i told i would take more pictures of the inside, my camera died on me. Give me a call and i will do the best I can to explain its condition to you.

A potential buyer went and looked over the boat, and this is what he found.

Quote:
the reason the engine only started and ran for 15 seconds is because than oil is full of metal like a bearing is out of it i know this boat the guy doesn't know what he is talking about they also broke the dip stick off trying to hide it so nobody would check the oil

BUYER BEWARE !!!

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Cap'n
You're not looking at this right :) ....

Offer them $2500, resell the boat as a fixer upper for $1000 and you have a trailer for $1500 for your boat! Or just scrap the boat and resell the outdrive to make some cash back. It appears to be a 24 or 26 foot Liberator so your boat will fit on the trailer with some slight mods.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:52 pm 
268 Vista

It's a 241. And you are right, I'm not looking at it. I don't own enough gold chains to be seen in a go fast. :lol: The trailer might fit, but still not interested. I just thought the initial add may sound misleading, and as the guy who looked at it found out, it was not as described.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:11 pm 

I know what you're saying about the ad. I personally would not sell an item in this poor of condition. I like to buy and sell but the next owner usually gets a finely tuned excellent reliable item ! I always weigh all the what if's vs the barebones cost recovery before I contemplate all my purchases. That trailer would work perfect for my Vista but is too much $$$.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:22 pm 

You have to assume that it's a boat with NO engine or drive.

Also, if the floor and/or the transom is rotten, then it literally has NEGATIVE value!!!.

Now having said that, if I lived near there I would probably go over there with my oil sucker and suck out some oil. tell the guy that the engine is trashed, drain a little oil out of the drive, (which is also probably trashed) and offer him $500.

It would probably cost at least $3000 to do the interior, $3500 to replace the engine and (if it's a Mercruiser) about $1500 to put a new SEI drive on it.

Then you would have a boat with $500 +3000 + 3500 + 1500 = $8500 in an $8000 boat!!

Someone is probably going to buy that boat and show up on iBoats asking questions about using JB weld to fix the cracked block, and and using snake oil to fis the internal problems!!!Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:11 pm 
230 Mike

All it needs is a distributor?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll give the guy credit, I've never heard that one before.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:02 pm 
Minnow

Wow some people. He is about 3000 dollars over. Lol

Email me about Custom Made Speaker Boxes
blairjbyrd@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:12 pm 
Tadpole

Its kinda funny that I just ran into this forum.. I just recently just trade my quad for this boat.. As of right now there is nothing wrong with this motor.. I have heard it run longer then 15 seconds.. The firing order was all wrong. And as for the dipstick being broke off thats not true, its completely missing.. With that said. the rest of the boat is pretty much a diamond in the rough.. The floor in the cockpit needs to be replace and rear couch you can scrap that and make a new one.. the captain chairs you could fix them, but is it worth it? The good part of the boat it has a Bravo drive, the motor was overhauled in 04 with paper work, which doesn't mean anything.. So far on this boat the motor is good.. no metal in the oil.. have heard it run more then once and longer then 15 seconds. If anyone that has a liberator in the Grand Rapids area that I can take a look at as I do have some question on the boat. it would be greatly appreciated..

Thank
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:18 am 

Joe
Welcome to the forum. Keep all of the skeptics here up to date on your progress... Give us lots of pics and ask lots of questions we are a fairly friendly bunch. The price you paid for that boat is amazing. You could easily part it out and get your money back out of it!

My only advice to you at this time is to make sure all the mechanicals are in good working order before you do any cosmetic work. You can always recover some of your investment by reselling the mechanicals but there is no market for the other stuff since it is very boat specific.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:21 am 
Dolphin

Welcome Joe, glad to hear you got a good deal. Keep us posted. Seems like there's not alot going on in this forum this time of year.... I may get my Liberator out on the water in January (Phoenix) and hope to get a video to post then. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Scott