www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hole in stern drive.
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm 
Tadpole

I have a hole on the left upper part of the stern drive (hope that is the correct word). Can someone tell me why this hole is here. This is some sort of factory hole that i think was covered by the cobra emblem. I only noticed it when i pull my boat out of storage to get it ready for the weekend and now I do not know if I am going to be able to go or not. Maybe i can just put duck tape over it for now (you know duck tape fixes all) and then take it somewhere to have it look at? The service book i have does not show this hole in any of the pictures.

This is on a 1990 170 Freedom.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Hole in stern drive.
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:30 am 
Villiage Idiot

I think you just need to replace a plug. I'm not a Cobra person, but that looks like the "top" level plug for the drive oil. In Merc Alpha drives there were 3 plugs.... bottom for drain/fill; one on the side near the top (like the one you have pictured) to indicate the proper fill level; and one on the very top/cap of the drive for vent. The cap plug also had a "dip-stick" to indicate proper level.

Basically, when draining the drive, remove all three plugs and drain away. When filling (up, through the bottom hole), you stop when the oil level gets to the plug you have pictured, and put this plug back in as well as the cap plug. Then quickly pull the fill hose and re-install the drain plug. Verify level is correct with the dipstick. Again, this is from an Alpha drive, but looks the same.

Hope that helps!

6.2L Bravo One turning a 21P HIFive
Wakeboard Tower with Perfect Pass Stargazer version
Missouri River; Kansas City, Mo.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:59 am 
email admin your custom rank

Nope that's a casting plug that was originally covered with a round OMC Cobra emblem...the plug covers a water passage and you have to replace it to run the engine or else it will overheat because a lot of the cooling water will run out that hole from the impeller...there is a nut, backing plate and another piece if I remember right...there is a parts diagram at doug russel marine parts that will reference the parts needed (hopefully still available)....

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog ... ,1070,1071

And as far as filling the drive...DO NOT do it the Alpha way...you do it this way...

http://support.crowleymarine.com/entrie ... nt-filling

if you do it the Alpha way it will be underfilled and you will burn out the upper gear set. Most Cobras take about 2 qts of gear oil...you need to get all of that in there and pump it slow to let the air bubbles escape...

now although it shows the plug on the opposite side from yours that's fine...it's the right plug/parts....and if you see a Cobra with that medallion missing...with the big screw in the hole...DO NOT remove it...there is never any need to remove it and if you do...the retainer plate will fall down in the water passage and you will need to pull the drive to get it out and replace it....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:11 am 
Tadpole

Thanks Louc,

Good thing i did not put in the in lake before noticing this. I think the shop that did my winterization in the fall removed it. Its stuff like this that makes me like to do my own work when i can. Now i am going to have to pay to have this fixed because of someone's stupidy.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

rhoadesm wrote:
Thanks Louc,

Good thing i did not put in the in lake before noticing this. I think the shop that did my winterization in the fall removed it. Its stuff like this that makes me like to do my own work when i can. Now i am going to have to pay to have this fixed because of someone's stupidy.

The FOOLs...there is no reason at all to EVER remove that...to drain the water from the drive you put it down...then there's the 3 plugs in the pivot housing...

if they did that...did they drain and refill the gear oil? If so make sure they did it right!!!

I don't get it....this boat was my first...all I did was follow the manuals...no issues...the problem with Cobras is they are different from Mercs and Volvos and not many techs are good with them...

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Last edited by LouC on Mon May 31, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 am 
Tadpole

Is removing the unit something that should be left to the pros or is this something I could do? I am mechanically inclined, just not sure if there is anything special about doing it.

thanks