www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:56 pm 
Shark

Just purchased a 1997 203 Coast runner, with an Evinrude 150 ocean pro outboard. I know this was a low production model, wondering if anyone else here owns one. First Four Winns for me, upgrading from my 1986 Bayliner Capri. Hope to have it on the lake this weekend. Any other coast runner owners out there?

1997 Four Winns 203 Coast Runner-150hp Ocean Pro Evinrude
"BONA 4 TUNA"
1986 19' Bayliner Capri 125 Force

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking boat...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 pm 
Tadpole

Looking at buying a 96 Coast runner with 96 Evinrude ocean pro 150hp. Was wondering if you have any comments about your experince with the boat?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:26 pm 
Shark

I love this boat! I've owned it one season, and love the way it handles. We keep on a small lake in upstate NY and fish and swim from it. In August, I moor it in the Long Island Sound in Connecticut, so I have used the boat in calm lake water as well as 3 foot swells. In both cases it handled very well. Passengers like the smooth ride, and it is a great boat for tubing. The 150hp is a nice match and gives the boat a nice hole shot, and pulls tubers and skiers just fine. Don't know what the seat configuration is on the one you are looking at, I have two swivel bucket seats and the rear seat across the stern. The bow is a little small, riders need to be 5' 8" or smaller to lie with their legs straight. The boat has tall gunwales which gives it a smooth ride. The only negatives I have found with the boat are very minor. First is narrow steps on boarding ladder, which hurt bare feet when climbing, and second is when the small transom seat is removed to create the walkway through the stern to the swim platform, their is no lock to prevent the rest of the stern seat from sliding towards the gap, allowing the seat to slide off the hinge pins and possibly collapse. After a near miss last season, I will devise some kind of lock to prevent the seat from sliding when the walk through is removed. The total fiberglass interior, with the two scuppers on each side of the transom, allow any sea or rain water to drain right off the deck and provide fro very easy hose down after a fishing trip.

My family and I have really enjoyed this boat, let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:48 pm 
Tadpole

Mannix2

Thanks so much for the info! I am picking mine up within the next two weeks here. Mine has the drivers side swivel seat with a padded cooler behind it and a back to back lounger on the passenger side, I do not have the back bench as mine is missing I hope to be able to make something to fit back there. I also will be using on small lakes in Illinois and Wisconsin and also lake michigan for some salmon fishing. The tall gunwales and self bailing fiberglass floors are what first attracted me to the boat as lake michigan can get nasty fast with a wind change and it will be nice to have a boat that can get you back safe. Also like the fact it has the comforts of a ski boat. It has been frustrating researching this boat though, due to limited 2 year production. Nice to know someone who has the same boat though. How does your boat do on fuel as I have seen these motors are said to be quite thirsty for fuel and oil? Also what prop you running and whats your top speed?

Thanks again,
Ski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:34 pm 
Shark

I feel your frustration on the limited info. I researched for months too. If you pm me your email. I have the complete 1997 Four Winns catalog in pdf format. It has specs and photos for reference. The Four Winns web site has info on parts for previous model years too. Here's a link to the page for the 203 Coast Runner.

http://www.fourwinns.net/partbook/basemodel.php?model=203CR-C97

The 150 hp does like to drink some gas. The oil reservoir is in an awkward spot. I made a dipstick for it and marked it 1/4, 1/2 ect... My Coast Runner has the 2 igloo coolers behind the seats with cushions on top. I also have the transom shower option, dual batteries with a switch, bimini top, and camper canvas. I actually have a spare camper canvas with windows, that encloses the entire cockpit for bad weather. It is red canvas, two sets came with my boat. If the red works for you, I might be inclined to sell you a set, if you're interested. I have a SS 14.25" prop with a 17" pitch. Top speed with just me in the boat is about 40 MPH. One of the best features about the boat I love is the trim/tilt switch on the powerhead of the motor. Makes it real easy loading the boat on the trailer to lower the motor on the trailer lock with the switch on the powerhead. Be sure to post some photos of her when you pick it up. Happy to help another Coast Runner owner. This board has been a great source of knowledge for me.

Personal message me if you would like the PDF of the catalog or you are interested in the red camper canvas.

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:49 pm 
Minnow

I just picked up a 1996 Coast Runner this past weekend as a first boat!

Its in pretty decent shape- just small things to get straightened out before putting her in the water this coming weekend. Mine has two bucket seats, two cooler seats, and the rear bench. No bow cushions, but those should be easy enough to make. On the test ride, we were impressed by the comfort and stability of the boat. It seems to run out pretty well with a 175 Johnson OceanRunner, but then again, I don't have much to compare to.

We looked at a lot of used bowriders and didn't find much that we were crazy about in our limited price range until the Coast Runner showed up on Craigslist and was just a few miles from home.

We will spend most of our time on the Tennessee River here in Chattanooga with the boat.

Brian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm 

If you're curious

http://www.fourwinns.com/upload/Documen ... -Flyer.pdf

The Coast Runner 243 is an awesome boat if you ever see one forsale. I've seen one in 3 years

http://www.boatquest.com/listing/95472/ ... CHJjvldV1A

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:43 am 
Shark

Hi Brian, welcome to the Four Winns family and the exclusive club of Coast Runner owners! I've owned my CR for 3 years now and still love it. I've performed a few upgrades and repairs. Found a few gremlins as well. If you plan on doing any swimming from the boat I highly recommend adding wider stair treads to the transom ladder. That is by far the best investment I've made on this boat. If you search my user name, mannix2, you'll see my experiences with this boat.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have, I have a fairly good working knowledge with this boat model. Hope the weather cooperates with you, I'm pulling mine out this weekend, the nights in NY are getting in the 40s. She'll soon rest for her long winters nap. :(

"BONA 4 TUNA"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 am 
Minnow

Thanks, Mannix. I found several of your posts before purchasing the boat, including the one about the ladder. Its definitely on the short list of things to do. My coaming bolsters are falling off in a couple of spot due to the clips rusting and falling apart, but I was able to locate replacements. I've had a few electrical gremlins- stereo didn't work (replaced fuse), bilge pump wouldn't turn off (replaced it, but new one does the same thing). So, I am due for some investigation time with the voltmeter. I would appreciate knowing about any significant quirks you have run into, since these boats seem to be very rare indeed! I think it will make a great family boat once all the small things are sorted.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 am 

I wouldn't call those quirks or gremlins. I would call those normal problems that come with owning a 17 year old boat. Might want to call ahead to the bank and order more checks, welcome to boat ownership :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:55 am 

An updated version of this type of boat is exactly what I would want for my next boat if there is one lol. Higher gunnels, self bailing cockpit and outboard power. If the boat companies were smart they'd realize that the future of boat sales is not in bigger more complex and expensive to run & maintain boats. They are already seeing this in reduced sales for cruisers and increased sales for smaller boats. Now what they need to do is learn how to design and market a line of boats that are very seaworthy, practical, and reasonable to maintain.
Otherwise they will see reduced sales every time the economy drops or the price of gas goes up.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:01 am 

Break Out Another Thousand

http://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11136
1977 14' CMF Skiff SOLD
2015 Emotion Stealth Angler 11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 am 

LouC wrote:
An updated version of this type of boat is exactly what I would want for my next boat if there is one lol. Higher gunnels, self bailing cockpit and outboard power. If the boat companies were smart they'd realize that the future of boat sales is not in bigger more complex and expensive to run & maintain boats. They are already seeing this in reduced sales for cruisers and increased sales for smaller boats. Now what they need to do is learn how to design and market a line of boats that are very seaworthy, practical, and reasonable to maintain.
Otherwise they will see reduced sales every time the economy drops or the price of gas goes up.

Plenty of boats have self bailing cockpits, including mine. Just seems to be a Four Winns feature to not have it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:16 am 

Yes they may have 2 drains back there but are they really capable of dealing with large amounts of water, for that the drains have to be big and for cryin out loud, at least TWO bilge pumps, not a puny 500 gph unit on a boat that stickers for $40-50K!!! And the bilge pumps should be servicable, not hidden under the engine. The batteries should not be low in the bilge but mounted up on a platform. All very simple things to change yet every time I go to the boat show and look at smaller FWs I see the same faults....no engine access, no bilge pump access, one bilge pump....low gunnels, etc. The smaller boats are plainly not safe in anything more than 2' waves. The smaller the boat is, the faster the bilge fills up and the bigger the pump(s) must be. No, they focus on the color coordinated cushions, the walk through sun pad that makes the engine impossible to work on, etc, etc.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II