www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:55 pm 
Tadpole

Hey everyone,

Being a new owner of this boat, i'll go ahead and state the specifications and details of why its stalling!

Motor: Johnson 120 HP V4 (possible 92-94)

The boat starts and idles fine in yard, but when put in the lake, ran good for a couple minutes until a lack of fuel stalled the engine.

Has a large fuel filter and a small fuel filter at the engine. Fuel bulb doesn't pump up until after 5-10 minutes, then the engine runs for a short period of time and then starves for fuel again. Boat has new spark plugs, tightened a-hose clamp at the large fuel filter and thought it would solve the problem, put back in lake, ran the boat for about 12 minutes and got up to 6k rpm without any problems until it slowly stalled again consistently. Fuel bulb does not harden, although the OIL BULB IS VERY HARD.

Any suggestions would be great! Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:16 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I'm not too familiar with those specific motors, however, most OMCs of that vintage are pretty similar.

The first thing I would check would be the filters. If you haven't replaced the filters already do that before you try anything else. A plugged filter can cause all sorts of running problems. The large filter should be a fuel/water separator type. Make sure there isn't a significant amount of water in it. Also, make sure the gas is fresh.

After that, I would check the fuel pump. You need to confirm that the fuel pump is the alcohol resistant, updated one. It should have a brown tag on it saying so, if it is. Unless you have used exclusively ethanol free gas there is a chance that the fuel pump and other parts of the fuel system are starting to soften/deteiorate due to exposure to the ethanol.

Even if it is updated, the pump it self does have servicable parts. That would be a good place to start.

Then it is on to the carbs. You might as well plan to do carb kits. Get everything all cleaned up and fresh.

It does seem like whatever the issue is, it is fuel related.

Where do you do your boating? I have been keeping my eye out for a nice, yet inexpensive Quest. Is yours a center console or a dual console?

The biggest thing holding me back is the fact that they are all powered by old carbed two strokes. They are fuel monsters. If I were to find a good dual console Quest, I would likely try to repower it with a Evinrude Ficht Ram / DI or an etec if I could find one cheap enough.

Good luck with yours and welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 pm 
Tadpole

Hey RotaryRacer thanks for the quick reply!

I started researching VRO Pumps and found that our VRO Pump is from 2002 and there is an updated #5007420 Pump that is ethanol resistance, although our current model #5004558 may also be resistant, but not too sure.

The boat is center console, which is great because it leaves plenty of space on each side of the driver in the middle and fishing is definitely a plus. It runs great with 120 hp as well. We got it going smooth at probably around 45 mp at 6k rpm 7/8 throttle. The hull barely has any scratches, and we got a great family deal on it.

As for the feedback on the pump, filters, and carb, I'll take a look at it and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!