www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am 
email admin your custom rank

I started cleaning up the boat from sitting all winter, and doing some mataince and inproving over the weekend. First I pulled the cover off and started clearing cobb webbs away :lol: . The one thing I wanted to work on to improve was the faded teak inlays on the swim deck, so I started to pull those up and what I found underneath almost put me into shock. The level of dirt and filt under it was (to say the least) was amazing. I don't think it has ever been pulled up from the factory. Under there is a non skid surface that I am going to have to take bleach and scrub until my arms look like the Hulk. After that is all said and done I still need to sand the teak down to make it smooth and remove some blemishes. Then I got teak oil to finish it with. My Question is is that the right stuff to use or should I use stain and then the oil to bring it back to life. Right now it is all faded almost white with no wood color at all. Also is there a way to seal it up to the deck that I don't have this issue in the future? Sorry for the long post.

Post subject: Re: Teak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:38 pm 

I would take a heat gun and heat the finish till it slightly bubbles and then use a paint scraper and scrape the finish off. Give it a light but good sand then finish it with the natural teak cetol. That stuff is awesome. There are a few different finishes but the natural teak will hide any imperfections

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=167

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:16 pm 

I just sanded the teak swim platform and am going to oil this weekend. I used the 3 step Star Brite system. The cleaner worked well after sanding, and took some grit out of the cracks and edges. The brightener really lightened up the wood and made it look fantastic; a very uniform and even color. I also took off a bunch of other small trim pieces that I am going to sand, follow the same process, then oil everything at once.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:42 am 

I guess I explained it wrong, there is NO finish on it. The finish has worn off over time. So it is like I am starting from scratch. Do you guys think a complete sand job and a oil rub will get it done?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm 

That is exactly where I started from too. I bought the boat in October, and prior, the wood hadn't been touched in years. I sanded the platform, and did the steps I wrote about in last post. It looks awesome, just waiting for the weekend to put teak oil on it. Again, 3 step process seems to work well.

When I was searching on what to do, a Mastercraft boat forum popped up, as those ski boats have teak platforms like mine. There was one post with step by step and photos, but I cant find it now....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 am 

I started with the small pieces that go on the gunale. I sanded 2 of the 4 and oiled 1 so I could show the Admiral the difference. They are going to look fantastic. One coat so far with 2-3 more to come. I can't wait till this project is over so I can get her back in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am 

acguy wrote:
I would take a heat gun and heat the finish till it slightly bubbles and then use a paint scraper and scrape the finish off. Give it a light but good sand then finish it with the natural teak cetol. That stuff is awesome. There are a few different finishes but the natural teak will hide any imperfections

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=167

+1 On the Sikkens Cetol Marine. Lasts a long time, and it never becomes hard or chips.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:01 pm 

Below is a photo of the teak platform after sanding, and using the 3 part process by Star Brite. I brushed on the oil to get into all the crevices and wiped away with clean towel per instructions. I think the color came out awesome! Getting ready to put it back on this weekend!

I have heard the Sikkens Cetol Marine is slippery and not ideal for swim platforms, is that true?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:20 pm 

john55c wrote:
I have heard the Sikkens Cetol Marine is slippery and not ideal for swim platforms, is that true?

The Teak platform with Sikkens Cetol Marine on my previous boat was not slippery at all...although I must admit that I did not have it sanded super smooth.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 am 

I wish I could think of taking pictures of before and after when I start projects. I just finished it last night, sanding and oiling. I used 100 grt paper, then 200 grt, and finally 600 to make it smooth as a baby's behind. Then I put 3 coats of teak oil on with a brush. When I get home tonight I will see what brand I used. I know it came from Bass pro shops. I am very pleased with the result, it brought the color right back and looks rich and full of life again. Now just put it back on and change the impeller and drive oil and check why the battery goes dead once it sets for a couple of days and I'll be back on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 pm 

rpengr wrote:
john55c wrote:

The Teak platform with Sikkens Cetol Marine on my previous boat was not slippery at all...although I must admit that I did not have it sanded super smooth.

I have seen a few teak swim platforms that are varnished, which seems like an awful idea. That varnish is slippery as can be when wet...which is hard to avoid when on a swim platform!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm 

I got home a checked on my progress. I noticed that after 3 heavy coats (with a brush), in spots it soaked it right up and took the color good, but in other spots it looks like I didn't even touch it. Same faded color. Could it be so thirsty that it sucked it all up and I need more. I used CRC Nu Teak teak oil.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:33 pm 

Capt. Hoss wrote:
I got home a checked on my progress. I noticed that after 3 heavy coats (with a brush), in spots it soaked it right up and took the color good, but in other spots it looks like I didn't even touch it. Same faded color. Could it be so thirsty that it sucked it all up and I need more. I used CRC Nu Teak teak oil.

Yep. Keep going until it wont take anymore, then wipe off excess with a lint free rag.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm 

That is the plan. Since this is my first time can you over do it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm 

rpengr wrote:
john55c wrote:

A friend of mine with a sail boat uses it and I did not find it slippery after it had been dunked in the water while leaning

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike