www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:50 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So, I bought my boat from this gentlemen and he gave me a full canvas enclosure, a bimini and custom made full size boat cover that snaps around the boat and has three poles in various places so rain doesn't puddle.

Thing is, that cover isn't water proof in the slightest. I had the boat out of the shop one day and rain came pouring down but I didn't fret because I had that cover on it. Well, next day I went out, unsnapped cover and put it to the side in the sun to dry out and noticed that the boat was soaking wet. Carpet, bilge, seats...crap, even the tool box I had left partially open was full of water. I noticed water was simply being slowed down and let through quite easily.
Is there something I could use, like scotch guard, to treat this and "re-water-proof" it?

Second question. The bimini has a rip in it. What is the best way to patch it? Or, should I get it hemmed up?

Final question. What is the best way to clean the window panels?

Thank you guys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:15 am 
Shark

Quote:
Is there something I could use, like scotch guard, to treat this and "re-water-proof" it?

Areospace 303, Biokleen, etc all have products that will re-waterproof canvas. I'm just starting to test each out to see who has the best product. I really like Biokleen products, but their canvas product doesn't bead up the water like I had hoped. All of their other products for other cleaning projects are awesome.

Quote:
Second question. The Bimini has a rip in it. What is the best way to patch it? Or, should I get it hemmed up?

I would see an upholstery shop for a professional opinion. My guess is it will need to be patched.

Quote:
What is the best way to clean the window panels?

I would use a vinegar based product like Windex with vinegar. Anything with alcohol or acids could be harmful over time.

I have two canvas covers for my boat, one is new, one I bought used. The first one is the snap kind "mooring cover", the other is for road and storage use since it actually covers part of the hull and ratchets in the back. Both are nice covers and keep things dry inside, but as they age I'm noticing more and more puddles of water after it rains. The sad thing is, my boat doesn't sit outside unless I'm getting ready for a trip or using the boat. I had an old boat with the same type of canvas cover and it did the same thing. Long story short, it happens. You have to keep up on the canvas maintenance along with everything else unless you go with a less breathable cover.

Hope this helps!
Matt

1984 Century 5000, Merc 260 Alpha 1
2012 Yamaha VXR

Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:56 am 

This should answer most of your questions.
As for the rip, take it and have it patched with someone who deals with boat covers.
How bad is the glass? Try Plexus Plastic Cleaner.

You can get anything you need right here.
www.autogeek.net

Sunbrella: The official website of Sunbrella® fabrics
www.sunbrella.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:14 pm 

purdueosch wrote:
Quote:

Areospace 303, Biokleen, etc all have products that will re-waterproof canvas. I'm just starting to test each out to see who has the best product. I really like Biokleen products, but their canvas product doesn't bead up the water like I had hoped. All of their other products for other cleaning projects are awesome.

Quote:
Second question. The Bimini has a rip in it. What is the best way to patch it? Or, should I get it hemmed up?

I would see an upholstery shop for a professional opinion. My guess is it will need to be patched.

Quote:
What is the best way to clean the window panels?

I would use a vinegar based product like Windex with vinegar. Anything with alcohol or acids could be harmful over time.

I have two canvas covers for my boat, one is new, one I bought used. The first one is the snap kind "mooring cover", the other is for road and storage use since it actually covers part of the hull and ratchets in the back. Both are nice covers and keep things dry inside, but as they age I'm noticing more and more puddles of water after it rains. The sad thing is, my boat doesn't sit outside unless I'm getting ready for a trip or using the boat. I had an old boat with the same type of canvas cover and it did the same thing. Long story short, it happens. You have to keep up on the canvas maintenance along with everything else unless you go with a less breathable cover.

Hope this helps!
Matt

Thanks Matt! Great info and yes, answered my questions. I definitely have to do some of that canvas maintenance. I have never had the full storage cover like that and until my boat filled with rain water...I didn't think about maintaining it, per say. Sounds silly but, I just had so much other stuff to do on this boat that these covers and bimini just sat in the corner of my shop.

What about something old school like scotch-guard? I will try 303 or biokleen. I think there is a place locally I can get one, or both of these. If I find something that does make water bead up I will let you know...let me know if you find something.

I also know where there is a shop that does canvas and upholstery so Ill carry that bimini top to them and see what they say.

Thank you sir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 pm 

Thalasso wrote:
This should answer most of your questions.
As for the rip, take it and have it patched with someone who deals with boat covers.
How bad is the glass? Try Plexus Plastic Cleaner.

You can get anything you need right here.
http://www.autogeek.net

Sunbrella: The official website of Sunbrella® fabrics
http://www.sunbrella.com

OH and Matt, Ill try that vinegar solution but hey, if this doesn't work Ill have to buy something like that Plexus (Thanks Thalasso). I also realized, by going on the Sunbrella site, that I have completely ignored maintenance or any kind of care for the cover or top. jeez.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 am 

The 303 is great but it gets expensive doing large areas. I use the Mary Kate stuff, buy the gallon size and put it in a garden sprayer. You have to do this on a day when it's not windy. The Mary Kate stuff is about half the price of the 303....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:38 pm 

LouC wrote:
The 303 is great but it gets expensive doing large areas. I use the Mary Kate stuff, buy the gallon size and put it in a garden sprayer. You have to do this on a day when it's not windy. The Mary Kate stuff is about half the price of the 303....

Awesome, I found that Mary Kate stuff. So, this will work better than something like scotch guard? I imagine so, that is meant for a different purpose...just curious.
Thanks Lou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 pm 

You're welcome .....did you get your carb adjustment etc done??

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:37 pm 

LouC wrote:
You're welcome .....did you get your carb adjustment etc done??

Yes sir! She's running like a top. Having had a maiden voyage yet (since I've had it). I have had it for a while and just doing work on it. A little here, a little there. New engine etc...
I am chomping at the bit though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:30 am 

Doesn't look like you'll get to do it this weekend either. Grrr!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:20 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
Doesn't look like you'll get to do it this weekend either. Grrr!

Dang! That sucks...just checked the weather. Well, maybe Ill get lucky :) We are planning on going tomorrow evening anyhow but we were going to see about Saturday. I guess not anymore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:00 am 

I *really* am jonesin' for some fishing. I am considering putting the camper enclosure on, pulling the carpet out of the cockpit, and enjoying a rainy day on Harris.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:52 pm 

kd4pbs wrote:
I *really* am jonesin' for some fishing. I am considering putting the camper enclosure on, pulling the carpet out of the cockpit, and enjoying a rainy day on Harris.

We went out this evening. Just got back a little while ago. Did almost the entire two hours of the idle break-in time! There is an exhaust leak between riser and head on SB side and still need to perfect the timing. However, she ran--idled--great all night, cut out once when I hit trim to tilt the outdrive up but started right back up.

Ill be setting the timing and fixing exhaust leak over the weekend. I might take my big boat out there tomorrow afternoon/evening and do some crappie catchin' :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:02 pm 

I see a few friends that went this weekend; evidently it was great fishing weather!