www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:41 am 
Sting Ray

With our short season here in the Adirondacks and my summer vacation wrapping up, I'm already starting to think about storing the boat for the winter. It's a new 2015 and is still super shiny. All I need to do is wash it with Dawn and apply some wax, right? No compounds, polishes, etc.

I'm still new at this so thanks for your patience with all my questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:16 am 
email admin your custom rank

Don't use Dawn or any other dish soap. Not only will it upset your wife when you leave it in the garage but it will remove the wax that is already on the boat. Use a good boat or car wash soap.

I read this somewhere and it makes sense: "Dish soap cuts grease because it has a very high pH and will also remove wax. If you need to clean scum off the Hull with out stripping all the wax a mild acid cleaner like Star-Brite and the like will work. Of couse frequent waxing is always a good idea. Most car washes and boat washes are pH balanced to not strip wax! but will not remove the heavy stains, that is why most companies will also sell a mild acid hull cleaner. Keep in mind that the suds although nice do not clean the grime off, it is the "surface active agents" in the wash that trap and remove the dirt and grime."

If you have a few small rust spots you need to remove, the pro that does my boat spot cleans with toilet cleaner gel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:30 am 
Sting Ray

Hmmm, the Four Winns manual says: "For freshwater use, the boat should be washed once or twice a month. When using in a salt water environment, considerably more care will be necessary. Be careful when selecting a cleaning agent. Hand dishwashing detergents are usually gentle and are recommended for cleaning gel coat. Cleaning products such as Ivory or Dawn hand dish washing liquid can be safely used. Always read the label before using any product."

Is that just flat out wrong?

I'm not opposed to buying a boat wash, but if a few drops of Dawn in a bucket are OK, I'd rather do that. FYI, this is a freshwater boat with mild staining at the water line. No rust.

Aside from the soap issue, I should expect to clean and wax, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:12 am 

Yes, after a wash down, all you should need is a coat of wax. I am going to wax mine before winter storage as well. It will be one less thing I will have to do in spring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:49 pm 
Shark

I use something with a hard Canaba wax like

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Hi-Tech-Yellow/dp/B0002SQZR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438105723&sr=8-1&keywords=meguiars+wax+26

Seems to hold up longer.

I do use car wash on my cars and boats, but I do use a little Dawn in a pinch.

Most stuff cleans right off. I spot clean anything else as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:16 pm 
Sting Ray

Interesting about the choice of carnauba wax. Quoting the Four Winns manual again: "Do not use carnuba[sic]-based waxes. This type of wax yellows over time and makes the fiberglass appear yellow."

I try to follow what the manufacturer says so that when my boat falls apart and sinks next year I can say, "Hey, you guys said X and Y and that's what I did."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:33 pm 

Definitely follow the FW manual.
I like to use "Meguiar's M5916 Marine/RV Quik Wax Clean & Protect" instead of washing with soap and water. To me its just as easy and it puts a light wax on top. Its more expensive but it goes a long way and I seem to get a whole season from one bottle, I use it often. It also cleans and waxes the nonskid very well with a rag. I use it for the swim platform almost every week.

I use "Meguiar's M5032 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax - Liquid" in the spring. Its less harsh than a straight carnuba but I think it does contain a little. It will go on and come off super easy on a new boat and seems to last all season in the sun with an occasional wipe of the quick wax I mentioned above. An older oxidized boat takes a couple coats and more effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:40 pm 
Shark

CaptainADK wrote:
Interesting about the choice of carnauba wax. Quoting the Four Winns manual again: "Do not use carnuba[sic]-based waxes. This type of wax yellows over time and makes the fiberglass appear yellow."

I try to follow what the manufacturer says so that when my boat falls apart and sinks next year I can say, "Hey, you guys said X and Y and that's what I did."

Hmm,
Maybe I'll try something else. Thanks for reading the manual :-)

Doug