www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:15 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Slipping a boat here is a trial. Bottom paint, drive paint, birds like to crap on it, etc. A lot of extra work but for me it works because the beach is right behind my house. In 5 min I'm at the beach then row the dinghy out to the boat another 5 min. But this is why some will have only outboards here. The I/O brings a lot of extra work with it slipped in salt water.
If I repower this boat next year its getting closed cooling. The engines last much longer that way and its easier to winterize. When I installed 2 re-man heads last summer what I found was my original heads had the cooling passages eroded by 15+ years of salt water use. So even if I wanted to get those re done, they might not have sealed against the head gasket well. So I got some nice reman GM marine V6 heads.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr23hyy6srwfn ... l.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k18krrafa3489 ... k.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fhnjbtutfjej ... 2.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yyytu26xgohe ... 1.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/55j6h4dd1u8fv ... 3.MOV?dl=0

last link is with it up and running after the top end rebuild. 2 reman heads, all new gaskets, I rebuilt the Quadrajet 4bbl and installed a new Volvo style center riser exhaust because the original OMC manifolds were NLA....
a lot of little tasks but in all not really a hard job....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 pm 

Looks/sounds good. That block doesnt look bad at all for 15 years of salt running through it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:13 pm 

Misterfu02 wrote:
Looks/sounds good. That block doesnt look bad at all for 15 years of salt running through it.

thanks. I always filled it with good PG antifreeze for winterizing, never left it dry for the winter. It's a big debate about whether it helps or not. Probably in freshwater its not necessary, but here I think it helps.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm 

I'd think the condensation from temp changes would add moisture and rust out the internals pretty quick - good idea to keep it filled with antifreeze. It's funny how many "experts" were quick to give me advice when they found out I bought my boat this year (I didn't tell them I've been boating since '95.) "Just suck it up through the outdrive!" Yeah no thanks, lol. Always had a motor filled with antifreeze for the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:16 pm 

Just mixed up my batch of Sierra PG antifreeze...
here's a price comparison...
1 gallon of undiluted Sierra is $14 so when you mix it 50%/50% with water (-26* freeze temp) that's $7 a gallon because you get 2 gallons out of that....
1 gallon of the West Marine -100 (freeze temp is about -54*, overkill for my area) is $11 a gallon

you can alo mix up Sierra 60/40 if you want a lower freeze temp (that gives -40).

So I usually use 5 gallons of AF to winterize, so I saved $20. The Sierra stuff is probably better quality because it can be used as engine coolant, but is Proprylene Glycol so its safe to use, where it will be running on the ground when you start up in spring.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:20 pm 

I was going to use the Sierra stuff but to order it online I had to order 6 jugs at a time. I just ordered everything from West Marine, was about $ 200. Marinas want double that for their "winterization" then they make you bring it back to them to "summerize." Yeah no thanks. Plus I like knowing the job is done right.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:27 pm 

If you have an Ace Hardware store local to you they usually sell it. Some auto parts stores sell it too.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:41 pm 

Maybe next year I'll try to find it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm 

FWIW, I think if you put it away dry then there shouldn't be any issues.

Pretty sure the prior owner used the bow and cockpit covers, and then a mooring cover over that, without issue. He even stored outdoors 24/7. No mold anywhere in this boat, even below the deck (at least in the port hatches I looked into.)

I'm going to stick with just using the single mooring cover and not cinching it down too tight to the boat. maybe leave a fender on the side for more ventilation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:59 am 

If your winters have cold dry air that might work but it would never work here. It is not consistently cold all winter and it is always damp so you'd wind up with mold between the 2 covers. Dry cold winter climate is totally different than a temperate coastal climate like we have....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 pm 

Good point.

I think if I stored outside I'd use a cover plus support system like the one you have. Indoors I'll just stick with the cheap Wal-Mart trailering cover and keep the bow and cockpit covers stored for when I am out on the boat and need coverage.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:16 pm 
I keep mine outside. When it is damp and dewy. Electric heater in the boat and warm it up. Drives the moisture out. I got bow cockpit cover and a full cover. I just open the ends a little bow and aft after it is warm in there let it air out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:59 pm 

chevymaher wrote:
I keep mine outside. When it is damp and dewy. Electric heater in the boat and warm it up. Drives the moisture out. I got bow cockpit cover and a full cover. I just open the ends a little bow and aft after it is warm in there let it air out.

So you use the bow and cockpit and then put the full cover over that?

I looked at an OLD (86) Starcraft bowrider before I bought my FW. It was in good shape, but the prior owner didn't use it for a few years and stored it with the bow and cockpit covers, then a mooring cover, then put a tarp over that. When I checked the floors, stringers, and motor mounts, they were all dry rotted. It was stored indoors during that time, too. Of course they could've been like that for years beforehand, but the guy really had no idea about the rot until I showed him.

I could still buy it since it still hasn't moved. Would make for a nice project.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 pm 
Misterfu02 wrote:

So you use the bow and cockpit and then put the full cover over that?

I looked at an OLD (86) Starcraft bowrider before I bought my FW. It was in good shape, but the prior owner didn't use it for a few years and stored it with the bow and cockpit covers, then a mooring cover, then put a tarp over that. When I checked the floors, stringers, and motor mounts, they were all dry rotted. It was stored indoors during that time, too. Of course they could've been like that for years beforehand, but the guy really had no idea about the rot until I showed him.

I could still buy it since it still hasn't moved. Would make for a nice project.

Yea a bow cover, cockpit cover. A full cover over that. Then a King Canopy carport as a boathouse over that. Just today I heated it to 70 degrees inside then opened both ends let the heat out. Moisture goes with it.

I just gutted and did a full restore on this thing. Thread is over at iboats. I remember last year inside all out and covered with dust. if your going to find water intrusion those are the prefect circumstances. Nothing shows water like dust.

They leak between the bow and cockpit covers. That water runs into the skii locker and keeps it soaked. Runs under the bow seating and soaks everything in the forward storage. Second largest offender is the engine vents. Cockpit covers don't cover them and the water runs in and keeps the floors soaked.

Real deal is no water should be getting on the covers. They are for temp use and trips and leak like a sieve. Once the water is in it needs uncovered and dried. A roof over it is the best bet. 138 bucks for the boathouse. Yes I get weird if water hits the covers even.

I heat it and once the water is in the air in the heated boat. Open front and back let it just leave the boat moisture and all. Wrap it back up a week or so.

After restoring this thing I want it not to do this again.

I am simply the messenger here. But from my teachers on the restoration forum. There is no dry rot. It was wet and the wood delaminated. It rotted while being soaking wet a long long time. Then it dried back out.

Factory boats the wood was not sealed well at all. So water finds raw wood and it soaks in. Wood through capillary action spreads the water to any wood it is touching. Fiberglass keeps the wood from drying out.

On the skii locker bottom of decking is usually raw wood. Inside the tank area is poorly sealed because you cant see it and they dont care. Boats design life is 10-15 years. If it lasted forever you wouldn't need a new one.

Little critters clog the drains. Rain is coming in constantly. Nobody checks a boat for water till they ruin one. Or get a ruined one like I did and have to fix it. Skii locker and tank areas fill to the top and freeze it is ugly. Most use it till season is over. Don't think or care about it till spring. Then open it and it stinks from water sitting in it all winter.

Then they think wow I screwed that up. Unblock the drains let it sit with no covers in the sun. Swear they took care of it and sell it as quick as they can.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 pm 
Today is a good example. It was raining and 45 degrees this morning. Opened the boat dewey damp feeling in there. I keep the heater in it with the cord where it is easy to get to at the lowest point. Rear next to the engine. Open the front and back plug it in. I dont know how long it ran but when I stick my hand in the bow area and it is warm and dry seats. Done wrap her back up.

I know she is spoiled. Her and the chev have girl talk all the time which one is my mistress.

Well back to playing with the outdrive. Doing seals.