www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Obsessed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 am 
Seahorse

Is anybody as much of a addict as I am when it comes to cleaning the lower compartments and bilges? Scrubbing and drying the fiberglass inside every storage area and lower compartments. I fully believe that keeping these areas clean helps to keep the boat smelling fresh. I've visited boats where mold and mildew is visible in these confined areas and the cabin has a musty smell. A shop vac, rags/towels, Dawn dish soap and bleach based spray cleaner takes care of the grease/oil and any possible molds. Don't forget to clean that A/C condensation pan.

1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
South Bay Marina, Green Bay

Post subject: Re: Obsessed
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I would agree with you. My 258 was spotless. I even waxed the bilge, yeah I know..

This boat not so much. It is impossible to clean everywhere. There is no access in the forward bilge for about 10 feet of the boat where the water settles. We've had a mold smell since we bought it and I finally found the source of the rain leak and it's fixed but damage is done and anything cloth or carpet smells. Tough to get the smell out too.
I like cleaning and waxing if it's not 100 degrees out. Its therapeutic for me but there is a balance of cleaning and actually using it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:36 pm 
Seahorse

I am in the process of retrofitting our heating/AC return air grate to accommodate a high micron 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen high micron air filter. I use these in our condo also. Expensive, but they remove smoke, pollen, bacteria, viruses and MOLD spores. I also use an air purifier that has changeable HEPA filters. The air purifier is fairly inexpensive at Fleet Farms or Home Depot's. Again the filters are fairly expensive. Be sure to buy "MERV 13" or higher to remove the mold spores.

Green Bay can be extremely humid and hot which drives the AC on and subsequently keeps the cabin smelling fresh. I've also heard of people using dryer sheets, but, to me, it just seems to mask any odors.

It makes no sense to me that marine air distribution systems do not have factory installed filters grates???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:17 pm 
Shark

I went out today. I got home washed her with boat wash. And towel dried the boat and trailer. Tire shined the wheels. Vacuumed. Is that enough to be nominated for the obsessed moniker?

And we ready to stick it in the nastiest dirtiest rivers in the world again. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 am 
Seahorse

Wow. Trailer too. I did that once a season. You are nominated....
Now go get that vessel dirty and have at it again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:00 am 

If there is a foul smell its usually from nasty bilge water. The bilge pump in my boat gets all but the last inch or two out under the engine itself. If you are really a clean freak I guess you could pump that last little bit out with your oil change pump, lol, but it will always come back if you are constantly having wet people getting back into your boat. Usually this little bit of water doesn't smell, but I guess it just depends what all is in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:43 am 
Shark

Wow I am really in there on this one. My bilge if there is a drop of water/oil anything. I put a towel down under the motor and dry it up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am 

Eyeman wrote:
Is anybody as much of a addict as I am when it comes to cleaning the lower compartments and bilges? Scrubbing and drying the fiberglass inside every storage area and lower compartments. I fully believe that keeping these areas clean helps to keep the boat smelling fresh. I've visited boats where mold and mildew is visible in these confined areas and the cabin has a musty smell. A shop vac, rags/towels, Dawn dish soap and bleach based spray cleaner takes care of the grease/oil and any possible molds. Don't forget to clean that A/C condensation pan.

How are you cleaning that A/C condensation pan? I was just in there last weekend cleaning the filter and find it very tight quarters. I did not remove the entire panel though which I assume would make it easier to get to. I do use a shop vac to suck the condensate drain from the sump. That seems to clear the lines. The actually scrubbed out the sump which I certainly thought was overkill but hey now I have a very clean sump box!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 pm 

I towel dry the bilge and ski locker after every use.

I came back from a camping trip where the boat sat in the water for 5 days. I didn't dry anything during this time. The bilge smelled AWFUL when I got home.