www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:55 am 
Dolphin

any tips on fixing dings or nicks on fiberglass above the waterline?

2007 H190
4.3 liter
Seattle WA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 pm 
email admin your custom rank

This is probably best left to the professionals. I don't know too many "amateurs" that are successful at filling and blending in gel coat repairs so they are invisible. Try a good buffing with a machine and some compound followed by a coat of wax and that will have to be your best effort for now.... Best to let them accumulate untill you can't stand it anymore then send it in for an expensive touchup.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:42 am 
Whatever

millhaven_nice_guy wrote:
This is probably best left to the professionals. I don't know too many "amateurs" that are successful at filling and blending in gel coat repairs so they are invisible. Try a good buffing with a machine and some compound followed by a coat of wax and that will have to be your best effort for now.... Best to let them accumulate untill you can't stand it anymore then send it in for an expensive touchup.

Ditto!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:52 am 
Clownfish

$440.00... that was the estimate to fix a 2 1/2" crack on the corner of my swim platform... that didn't even extend through to the underside... It was there when we bought the boat so when we had it in getting a thorough going over I thought I'd have it fixed too... now I think I am going to live with it for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:28 am 
268 Vista

dgs119 wrote:
any tips on fixing dings or nicks on fiberglass above the waterline?

Here are some tips for a DIY repair.

Try http://www.spectrumcolor.com/ for color matched gel coat.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 am 

Spectrum color isn't as hard as it seems. Take your time, follow the instructions. The best part? If you mess up, take it to a pro. They can grind it out, and redo your repair, for about the same cost as it would have been originally. I made all mine disappear...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:08 pm 

I too have had good luck with Spectrum Color patch products. As long as the scratches aren't too deep or large and you take your time, it's nearly impossible to detect the repairs without knowing where they were previously.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 am 

Did you ask the local "expert" Cincy Aquaholic? I know he has had good results with his repairs and pinstriping as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 am 
Minnow

if you have a white gel coat, Marine Tex works pretty well. Use a little soapy water on your finger afterwards to make it nice and smooth.

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:29 am 

tennja wrote:
Did you ask the local "expert" Cincy Aquaholic? I know he has had good results with his repairs and pinstriping as well.

Since Tennja brought it up, and Cincy Aquaholic is too good for us lowely Four Winns types (unless you have a cooler full of Coors Light), I'll post his wise musings on repairing scratches and dings.

Here he goes:

In my opinion, you have 3 kinds of gelcoat damage:

1) fine scratches like fender rub that can be buffed out with a rotary buffer and good polish (no compound - see below) then waxed for high gloss

2) scrapes that require a degree of wet sanding that can be blended back in, then polished and waxed as above

3) those requiring the patch kit. then steps 2, 1.

Difference between 1 and 2 is easy if a buffer can't knock them down sanding it is. Trying to decide if wet sanding can handle it versus needing a patch is more difficult. Of course most depends on how deep but also is there enough gelcoat in the area to wet sand around to blend. You don't want to sand just the scratch cause it will leave a noticeable "dent". I made that mistake once. But gelcoat is thicker in some places allowing you to blend more. Wet sanding is as easy as it gets so I prefer that over trying to patch when I can.

I believe wet sanding requires no lower than 800 grit working your way up to at least 1500. You can even start with 1200. It sands very easy so fine grit works just takes abit longer. At 1500 you will be left with a smooth yet dull surface. Don't let it scare you. Using a rotary on low speed with a wool pad will bring the gloss right back.

To do this, you need a rotary like this. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/C ... pricetype=
No need for anything fancier. My Milwaukee is to heavy for the job if you ask me because its heavy duty for sanding and grinding.

In my opinion, the port cable which runs around $100-120 is good for applying wax every month or so and cleaning the little bit of grime and water spots you see in between full fledged polishes. It won't spin fast enough since its dual action to generate the heat needed to remove actual scratches though but may work on some dull spots. But I do like it because it saves my arm from the "wax on" part.

Without seeing them its hard to tell if wet sanding will remove your scratches versus needing a patch. In my opinion you don't want to make the mistake of wet sanding only to find out later that its too deep and needed a patch because getting a patch to adhere to a sanded spot versus a scrape with sharp edges is very difficult. You may even be better off using patch and then sanding it and if you happen to sand all the patch away and end up with a smooth surface even better. Make sense?

My favorite, after trying $100's of different kinds of polishes is by far is this: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=8998 Used it on my black and nothing came close. Also great on metal. Very easy to use. Follow it with a good wax like Flagship or the ProPolish.

For the buffer you will want a good wool pad. For a porter cable they have different foam pads depending on what you want to accomplish. I like the black and white ones for waxing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 am 

The "mystery" of proper gelcoat maintenance is a secret kept tight to most "knowers" chest. Thanks for posting.... i still need to find somebody locally that is very good at this and "use" them to transfer that knowledge through actual on the job training.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive