www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 pm 
Dolphin

We have three fairly new 5 gallon tanks (the usually red ones that you fill at the gas station). I hate 'em. I still have a good 'ol one for filling the tractor, with it's gooseneck spout and little yellow air valve at the back. The new ones (bought in Maine) have a terrible spout with a valve you have to "push down" in order to operate, and no air release. The idea in spirit may have been a good one (less spillage and less vapor leak I suppose), but in the end I spill far more gasoline than it's worth, completely messing up any benefit that the designer had in mind (not to mention a bit always getting in the lake and on the swim platform!)...

Usually I just pull her and fill at the pump...but once in awhile I have to use these darn things....and typically I always use them for our VX110 Waverunner.

Our neighbors punched their own air holes in 'em, but that seems crazy too.

Am I the only one that gets annoyed about this?

Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 am 
230 Mike

That's your tax dollars at work, Ernie. :wink:

The spouts that seem to have become available in the last several months are an improvement, but still a PITA. The first generation of the "new" spouts rendered the can virtually unusable IMO.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

I wish you hadn't brought up this subject!!!

I have the same issue with these cans. I call them California cans because I was told CA started this whole design change or mandated EPA requirement.

We live closer to the lake than we do a gas station so I fill ours up at home with gas cans (many). I have 4 Blitz can that are about 10 years old. The nozzles break off all the time so I have always had extras on hand. I'm unable to get new nozzles anywhere (stores, Ebay, internet). So I researched and called the company that makes the nozzles for Blitz and they said the older white nozzles are completely obsolete. The person I talked to wasn't too happy with the new cans either. So I made up some homemade nozzles.

This was all after buying 2 of the cans that were suppose to be self venting (no vent). They about drove me crazy. They take forever to drain, if sunlight gets to them they swell up like pumkins to the point they fall over, in the cold they draw up to the point it looks like they are going to crack from being so deformed. I think they are dangerous.

Now they have this new can/nozzle arrangement that requires you to push down on a lever to allow the gas to drain. They still drain slow and these cans/nozzles cost twice as much.

I will keep my old ones going as long as I can. See what happens when the government gets too involved.............the gas won't come out of the can and it's more dangerous/hazardous than cans before. IMO

Tax dollars down the drain. I look for old cans for sale and buy them up!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:29 am 

For once, I'm glad the UK isn't as advanced; 20 litre steel Jerrycans with clamp on metal spouts are still available here! There's no petrol at my marina, so I have to carry all the fuel to my boat. I find it more convenient to use a syphon to empty the Jerry cans than the spouts, it's very quick. We have some strange regulations relating to how many you can fill at any particular petrol station ( at some none, at others as many as you like!) and strict regulations about how much we can store; I can in theory carry up to 330 litres in my car, but I have to be going straight to the boat from the petrol station even though it might be 100 miles away!

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 am 
Dolphin

Misery loves company. ; ) I like the idea of looking for used ones....otherwise I may just craft my own spouts from something else. They only hold gasoline in them for a few hours anyway.....

Thanks!

Ernie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am 
230 Mike

So this is what we've come to. Garage sale gas cans and black market 3.5 gallon toilets. :roll:

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 am 

The shiny new red steel jerrycans we can buy here match the VP engine paint nicely!. They're labelled as being manufactured in Slovakia; mine are on their 9th season and are lasting up well.

Graham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 pm 

I have one of those newer ones that I use with the lawnmower...it's OK but would be a pain with a weed wacker or blower since you have to have someone hold the machine so pushing down with the gas can doesn't cause the machine to tip. For my smaller machines I have a couple of 10-15 year old regular gas cans with proper vents that I will never get rid of....fortunately made of plastic so they likely will last forever! Brought to us by probably the same fool politicians that gave use E-10 gas!

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 pm 
Minnow

I try to use the "race jugs" available at summit racing or VP Racing Fuels. They work pretty well when I want to put a few gallons in at the slip.

Justin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:10 am 

When I am adding fuel to the boat with these cans, I use a super siphon (the one with the little check valve at one end) and don't bother with the spout. It's still quick, emptying a 6 gallon jug in under 2 minutes, and all you have to do is sit there till it's done. No spilling a drop!

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 am 

230 Mike wrote:
So this is what we've come to. Garage sale gas cans and black market 3.5 gallon toilets. :roll:

Have no fear.... You can eliminate the black market by buying one of these....

http://www.caromausa.com/toilets

They flush the biggest of turds with just three litres of water through a 4" trap. I installed two at my house and am very happy with them. It keeps my septic tank from being flooded and my water consumption low. I have also installed these at a courthouse project two years ago and haven't had any call backs! An excellently designed product.

Want to save water in the shower too? Try one of these new H2O kinetic heads.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/smarttechnology/h2okinetic-technology.html

Again I personally have two of these at my house and you can't tell you aren't using a high flow head.

Enough of my water conservation pitch....

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 am 
GIDDY UP

justinn wrote:
I try to use the "race jugs" available at summit racing or VP Racing Fuels. They work pretty well when I want to put a few gallons in at the slip.

Justin

That's the right idea. You can visit your local ATV/dirtbike shop and pick up 5 gallon "race jugs" with 1' of flexible hose & manual vent caps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:34 am 
life to the full

As for me a long syphon hose, I never have to struggle with 5 gallon ( 20 litre ) fuel containers and I dont spill a drop
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 pm 

I have a small can with an early version of the "vapor recovery" spout (that what these are), that I purchased a few years ago, when I had run out of gas, in the car. It actually worked well for the car because it had a add-on spout that pushed into the unleaded fuel nozzle flap, down in the filler.

I had noticed, a while back that all of the cans on the shelves were of this new design .... I sighed, shook my head and was glad to have a few 5 & 6 gallon old style cans.

Thanks Al & friends!

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner