www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:31 pm 
Dolphin

It nearly knocked me over. Water wasn't in it for very long; two weeks, tops. Based on some other threads I poured a cup of bleach in it for a night, and then rinsed (a lot) and re-filled. Now it smells a "little less" like spolied milk with a tinge of bleach ; ) I have rinsed it further, and will try another dose of bleach, but wanted to check here --- that wasn't the odor I was expecting if things were to go bad. Anyone used those tablets and other solutions that West Marine sells? I don't need the water to be drinkable, but I certainly want everyone to be able to rinse with the shower handle and use the sink...... Getting the pink anti-freeze taste and smell out of it is bad enough, but this is far worse.

Thx.

Ernie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:09 pm 
wkearney99

You didn't actually get any sort of dairy product in there, did you? I can't imagine how you would. But if that's what caused it you'd be looking at a new tank. You can never get that smell out of anything.

But I'm guessing it's more along the lines of water that had a high mineral (like sulphur) level. Can't say I've had to deal with that. I've seen a number of boats using an on-dock water filter canister. Personally I prefer to avoid refilling from anywhere I haven't used the water regularly. But if I had to then I'd probably get one of those filters.

I never, EVER put pink in the water tank. I prefer to disconnect and drain it. I only use pink in the lines themselves and then really only to make sure there's no water in there. I've loaded it up with pink and then drained that.

Bear in mind that the quality and condition of your fill or shore water hose is important too. After 3.5 seasons mine was adding a rather plasticky-smell to the water run through it. I replaced it and got rid of that smell.

So check the source of the water and the condition of your hose. Consider using an in-line filter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:14 pm 
Dolphin

Thanks Bill.....no milk in there, but I like your sulphur theory. That's definitely a possibility given the well at the house where I filled it initially this year. Thx!

Ernie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am 
Narwhal

I have no experience with storage tanks on boats, but in another hobby work a great deal with Polypropylene tanks. There, the best way I've found to remove odors is to fill them with a very hot oxyclean solution at a ratio of one scoop per 5G. Let it soak a couple hours, drain, rinse, then let the tank air dry to open air for 1 - 2 days (this might be the hard part as I imagine boat tanks do not have man access type openings as my tanks do). Should work great for cleaning the pump and lines as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

The times I had this problem was when I had my cruiser and the pink stuff got in to the water heater. I would just do what you did with the bleach and that would take care of it. I usually let it the bleach solution sit over night.

Not likely the culprit but I always fill with a white RV hose they don't pick up odors and flavors from the water.