www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hull Cleaner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:39 pm 
Shark

Hi,

just thought to let you know that I decided it was time to try and clean off the brown water stains (from salt water) from the hull of my 245 Sundowner. After reading reviews on this site I decided to try Starbrite Hull Cleaner. So, on my way to the boat I stopped off and bought a bottle (AUS$24.00). Got to the marina, hosed the boat down, poured Starbrite into a bucket and off went. Sponged the hull down, waited a few minutes, hosed it all off and BINGO it's just liked brand new. My son and I could not beleive it.
Now the only thing left to do is try and find a product that I can polish the sides of the boat to make it sparkle. I have tried Meguires Flagship but no luck. Any recommendations as the sides are looking a bit dull particularly on the graphics band.

Regards

Peter

2005 four winns sundowner
8.1L VP 375hp
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh117/4winns/

Post subject: Re: Hull Cleaner
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:34 am 
email admin your custom rank

Even in the UK, a Summer Season's sun / UV is enough to cause the sides of my 245 Sundowner to get quite dull . My colour band is red, red is probably the least UV stable colour. It's not as bad as dark blue or black though in terms of showing up the UV degradation as "chalkiness". There is an all black Baja 275 at our marina, it looked stunning when new but the owner is having a real hard time keeping it looking that way, especially the topsides).

I imagine the UV situation is a lot worse in Australia. I invested in a variable speed electric polisher and use a fine cutting compound (Farecla G10) on a wet sponge head each Winter to bring back the shine before applying 2 coats of 3M marine polish. 3M and Farecla also do a combined cutting compound/ wax; it's hard work using cutting/ polishing by hand though, a polisher makes it relatively easy. Ultimately I'll polish through the red gel coat in places I suppose !

Graham