www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: yellowed plastic
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:07 pm 
Dolphin

Any ideas on how to bring back the white color on yellowed plastic . My Guest spotlight has yellowed and I was wondering if something like whitewall cleaner would brighten it up . I am concened it mignt damage the plastic . Anybody have any products or ideas ? thanks

Post subject: Re: yellowed plastic
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

We've used softscrub and it has worked well for us. Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:40 am 
wkearney99

Most cleaners will have guides as to where you CAN use them, not where you CAN'T. So if you have a strong cleaner and it doesn't mention being usable on your desired surface it's a good idea not to use it there. Plastics and vinyls are susceptible to strong cleaners. The harsh cleaners tend to break down the material. Some plastics will discolor due to exposure to UV sunlight all the time. There's not much you can do about this as it's the top layer of the material that's been 'destroyed' by the UV light. Best case there is a cleaner that essentially 'scrubs off' that damaged layer. But at some point the material is going to be too far gone to save.

I'd start with a Magic Eraser to see if it's just surface dirt. Softscrub is worth trying too. But if it doesn't get cleaner without really HARD scrubbing then it's problem no cleaner is likely to solve.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:26 pm 
Dolphin

thanks guys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:25 am 
Tadpole

the biggie: a hard plastic mixing spoon. This is the type of hard plastic that you can cook with. Maybe plastic isn’t even the right word, I’m not sure what this stuff is called. Anyway, these spoons do get stained, and I’ve tried scouring with the usual scouring powder and it makes no difference. This stained spoon has been bugging me for a long time, so I’m sure I’ve tried a number of things on it. Well, this morning I put it in a bowl and poured some 3% hydrogen peroxide in the bowl. I noticed that I didn’t have enough to cover the while spoon. I went to get some more and then thought better of it: why not leave it partly covered – that way I could easily see if the peroxide bath helped. I was gone all day, and came home to find that the portion of the spoon that was covered in peroxide all day was bright white. The difference from the part that was not soaked in hydrogen peroxide is totally obvious. I’ll see if I can get a picture of this!