www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I did a search and found lots of cleaning tips for cockpit carpet, but does anyone have any advice on how to soften up carpet when it's getting worn? The rubber backing on my carpet is in great shape but the pile packs down too easy now. I've heard of soaking dried out dock lines in a bucket of fabric softner...so I'm wondering if that would also work for the carpet? I guess I'm looking for a last ditch effort before having to replace it. Any idea's?

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 pm 

Bite the bullet Ben! With the amount of time you spend on your boat you will be VERY happy you did.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:10 am 
Shark

we washed it into a washing machine with a wool softner detergent and results were good, but it was not too bad since the beginning thus the result was acceptable. if your one s really old and used I think there's no other solution than change it.

previous boats:
1998 FW 258 Vista
2003 Saver 690 Cabin Sport

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 am 
268 Vista

If you do end up replacing your carpet. Take a look at DMF, as an alternative to conventional marine carpet.
It's used on mega yachts, cruise ships, as well as all types of pleasure boats. It will out last conventional
marine carpet, it's weather resistant, non skid when wet, and can just be hosed off when needed.
Kind of a high end indoor outdoor carpet, made for boats.

DMF website

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 am 

I guess I'm just being a cheapskate. I've gotten estimates of $450.00 and that just seems way too expensive for that small of an area. I'm gonna try to save this carpet while I look for a suitable replacement. I ordered samples from DMF this morning, and I have to say the stuff looks very cool but I'm thinking it's going to be pricey.

Quote:
A local carpet guy is who we used. The 268 cockpit is essentially the same dimensions as the 248. We paid $190 for the cockpit carpet with snaps and everything. It is the same carpet that Snapincarpet uses, or I should say from the same carpet mill. As long as you have the original carpet, it's easy to have it traced/copied locally and new pieces made much cheaper.

Cap'n in another thread you mentioned having a local guy make your carpets for cheap. Do you have any pics? Contact info? And finally do you think he would be interested in making another set for a fella in Indiana? I would drive up there to pick them up for that price!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 am 
Nauti Luv

I would take it home, put it in the driveway and give it a good soaking. Then, mix some woolite in a bucket of water and brush it on the carpet with a medium stiff scrub brush. Do this a couple times, rinse VERY thoroughly and see what you get. Hang it over the fence or a ladder to let it properly dry.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 am 
268 Vista

I wish I could get the info for you. I met him over the winter several years ago while he was replacing carpet in a Carver where our boat was being stored. I paid him cash and did not keep his info or receipt. He was a guy that did it on the side, since he was an installer for a local carpet company. Fire could probably hook you up with the place that did his el-cheapo Menard's carpet, that he never used.

If I could dig up a picture, it would look the same as the factory carpet, as we chose the same color as we previously had. He used our existing carpet and made templates out of it. It looked identical to the factory stuff. Try a couple of canvas shops, upholsterer's or carpet installers in your area, I'm sure one of them could handle it for much less than $450.00.

I know of a few people that have used these guys.
http://www.damarkmarine.com/ Ask for Jeff. They use Dorsett Industries marine carpet. There prices were reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am 

aguyindallas wrote:
I would take it home, put it in the driveway and give it a good soaking. Then, mix some woolite in a bucket of water and brush it on the carpet with a medium stiff scrub brush. Do this a couple times, rinse VERY thoroughly and see what you get. Hang it over the fence or a ladder to let it properly dry.

I do this with a pressure washer and a good mix of Oxi-Clean, Woolite, and a little fabric softener.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:05 pm 
268 Vista

If the nap of the carpet is just plain worn down, the Woolite/Oxy Clean and pressure washer will only make it cleaner, it won't "revive" the carpet itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:36 pm 

Why would someone who put SeaDECK in their salon put carpet in their cockpit? Perhaps kids are in the future for the young couple? As a father of four, I welcomed the "soft thud" of my childs' head hittiing against the carpet when they fell off the cockpit sunpad as opposed to the bare non-skid. Of course, now that they are of walking age, carpet is out of the question. Don't skimp on the quality of your new carpet.

Last edited by 298VISTA2000 on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 pm 

I guess I get to cheat. We have professional carpet cleaning equipment.
We used to own an Equipment Rental store with our other business, so we
kept a few handy things from it...... 8)

Woolite has an Oxyclean carpet shampoo that is awesome.
It's a Silver bottle if you can find some.

03 Stingray 3.0
88 261 Liberator 460 King Cobras
95 Bayliner 1850 3.0
77 Fiber Form 20ft 350/385hp
70 Wescraft 1800 SS 455 Jet

Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the Way!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:12 am 
life to the full

Use some carpet cleaner then use a power washer. I had good success with just using the power washer last weekend
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:59 am 
wkearney99

I've had great luck keeping my carpets in shape using a Hoover SteamVac cleaner. I've used both the Resolve and the Woolite cleaners (designed for using in such machines) with it and tend to prefer the Resolve. It generally does a better job actually cleaning. Along with Spot Shot spray cleaner. It seems like the boat carpets are durable enough for it not to matter about using a more gentle cleaner. I usually just take the carpets home and do them there. If there's been a lot of activity I'll do them sooner. Otherwise it's about every 6 weeks or so.

The key to keeping the pile looking good is cleaning it. Letting it get dirty and then trod upon keeps the pile from being able to spring back up. Eventually foot traffic is going to take its toll, but it'll take a lot longer when you clean the rugs regularly.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:59 pm 

I spilled a coffee on my light beige carpet about 2 weeks ago. I thought I'd soaked it up using soda water and towels but when I returned this weekend, I was the proud owner of one BIG ugly stain and now it was totally dry and set. I borrowed a pressure washer from the marina and while I was at it, did all the carpets using just water as I had nothing else with me. To my amazement, after they had dried they looked brand new and even the heavily travelled center carpet had been totally revived.
Its worth a try. :D

Georgian Bay, Ontario.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 pm 

planealternative wrote:
I borrowed a pressure washer from the marina and while I was at it, did all the carpets using just water as I had nothing else with me. To my amazement, after they had dried they looked brand new and even the heavily travelled center carpet had been totally revived.
Its worth a try.
:D

From what everybody has commented it seems the pressure washer treament is the way to go. As soon as we get a hot sunny day here I'm going to try it and I will post my results. It also sounds like maybe I'm not cleaning the carpets as often as I should (maybe twice a season). Since we do spent a ton of time on the boat I think the carpet gets packed down sooner due to heavy traffic.

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon