www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 am 
2007 200 Horiz

So my lovely wife happened to get a pretty good white scuff mark from the dock, which is white, on the boat, which is black. No worries as it didn't scratch the gel coat, but just left a nice large and long white mark down the side of the boat. :shock:

She has been able to get some off with her nail, but has taken a long time. I have been tempted to just let her do it all, but I won't. :twisted:

So, now the question. What is a good scuff remover product?

Sorry for the wordiness and thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:06 am 
Mental Floss

If it the rubber type scuff from a dock protector/bumper, a cleaner wax has always worked well for me

'04 FW 288 Vista "Mental Floss"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:58 am 
2007 200 Horiz

jvalich wrote:
If it the rubber type scuff from a dock protector/bumper, a cleaner wax has always worked well for me

Yeah tried the normal Mequiars line up on it from the wash to the wax and it did nothing to it. I didn't really work that hard at it this weekend since we where goign back out.

Will try the wax again this weekend

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 pm 
Goldfish

Hi all, I tried a product called "Simple Green" to remove some scuff marks from both the deck and the back of the seats (they were black scuff marks)... It took them right off using a "greenie" a non-abrasive scrubbing pad. Dunno if there's any warnings about using this combination but I was sure happy about the results.

Greg

1997 Horizon 200
1998 F150 4x4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:14 pm 
230 Mike

If the suggestions above don't work, I'd try these in the following order:

1. Naphtha (lighter fluid)
2. Mineral spirits
3. Goof Off
4. Acetone
5. DuPont 3812S

That last item is a fast dry enamel reducer. Toxic, nasty stuff, and not intended for cleaning. I learned about it when we had to have some minor body damage repaired on our minivan. It happened to also have a couple of black scuff marks on it that nothing had helped with. I happened to ask the body man if he knew of anything to try. He said, "Hang on, I'll be right back." He came back with a rag with 3812S on it. He made *2* wipes across the scuff - with no pressure on it - and it was gone. No damage whatsoever to the clear coat, etc. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I'd be careful about getting it around any decals or other applied ornamentation. I'd try it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it's harmless to the gel coat. You can get it at places that sell automotive paints, but probably only in gallon cans for around $20. But everybody ought to have a can on hand.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:13 am 
Andiamo

In a few small areas where the Gel coat was white and I had scuff marks I simply used "Soft Scrub w/ Bleach" and applied it with a dobie pad. After I was rather easily able to remove any scuff marks, I IMMEDIATELY flushed with fresh water and reapplied several coats of paste wax, as the Soft Scrub will remove all wax as well. I would not reccoment that for large areas or for anything other than WHite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:50 am 
2007 200 Horiz

Thanks for all the tips! If it doesn't rain Saturday I'll be working on it. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:38 am 
email admin your custom rank

Try a mesh bug and tar remover sponge. If you have a good wax job the scuff should be on top of the wax.

Post subject: boat scuff marks
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:14 pm 
Shark

Here is a product worth considering to get tough scuff marks off your boat.....we tried the "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Sponge" thinking it was regular sponge.

When I noticed how well this sponge was actually working in removing scuff marks I commented to my wife how much I liked her new kitchen sponges.....she tells me it's not a sponge, but a "scuff and mark" remover made for the household...try it....I'm sure you will be surprised at how well it works.

just a side note though....I've only used his sponge on the white deck / non-skid parts of my new boat and it works great! I've used it sparingly on my jell coat to remove some minor dock scuffs and it worked outstanding on those scuffs too....anyway...just a suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:00 am 
email admin your custom rank

law950, Magic Eraser is a great product for taking things off. Unfortunately, this also includes wax, gelcoat, and UV protection on vinyl upholstery. Be very careful where you use it, and make sure you follow up with wax or UV protectant on any area where it was used.

2004 Ford Explorer Limited (V8-AWD)
Pomme de Terre Lake (Southwest Missouri)