www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WAX!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 am 
Shark

I used Buff Magic and the Pro Polish for the first time last spring. I've used Collinite cleaner and paste wax for years prior with good results...I thought! The shine and durability were good but I couldn't get that deep "wet look". Always seemed a little cloudy. After compounding with the Buff Magic and Pro Polish I gained an easy 4-5 inches of reflection. Can't speak for longevity yet but I'll keep you posted. This past fall it was still good. I fairness though, I used a machine for the first time to apply instead of the cheap Walwart type orbitals. I'm sure it made some difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:50 pm 
Seahorse

I tried Buff Magic today. I used it with a Porter Cable Dual Action orbiter. I was only able to get two thirds today but the results were great. I have the Navy Classic Color band and I always had a haze in the gel. After wrapping it up for the day, I realized that using the wrong pad. (no cutting) I am going to give it a go again tomorrow and use a more aggressive pad on a couple of areas that there was some significant abrasions from the spring lines. I am very encourage by the results.
I'll post the results after Pro Polish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I might be switching to the Starbrite Polish with PTFE real soon. Its on sale at WM, and a few guys on another board have had GREAT results.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:23 pm 

I swear by buff magic professional grade with a rotory followed by a round of Flagship wax. I use the buff magic once a year to begin the year and it brings my black back to factory new. It takes care of all of my fender rash and other fine scratches and leaves a deep shine that is enchanced by an easy coat of Flagship which I apply by hand.

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:33 pm 

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:
I swear by buff magic professional grade with a rotory followed by a round of Flagship wax. I use the buff magic once a year to begin the year and it brings my black back to factory new. It takes care of all of my fender rash and other fine scratches and leaves a deep shine that is enchanced by an easy coat of Flagship which I apply by hand.

Remind me to have you look at my boat and let me know if buff magic will get the fender rash and scratches I have out of my gel coat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:57 pm 
268 Vista

Cincy Aquaholic wrote:

Okay Cincy, you convinced me. I'm going to try the Buff Magic on the boat this weekend. I compounded and waxed last year and it looked good. After a season in the slip, it has a little oxidation, and I am hoping this stuff works as you say.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:23 am 
268 Vista

Well, I tried the Buff Magic this time. It did a decent job on the parts of the boat that had minimal oxidation. However, it did not remove heavy oxidation well at all. I applied to the stern, which is always facing the sun,2 times and it really did not help much. I remember having better luck on the heavier oxidation with the 3M compound last year. It really was not any easier to use than the 3M compound, so I will stick with that after this can is gone.
I'm afraid the stern will need to be wet sanded to get the gel coat back to the way it should be. But that is not a job I wish to tackle myself.

I do think the Buff Magic would work fine for boats that are not in the sun and a slip for 6 months per year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:25 am 

How did you apply the buff magic?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 am 

Capn...thanks for the report. Sounds like it is a lot like the 3M Finesse-It II.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:47 am 
268 Vista

Wet Doggg wrote:
Capn...thanks for the report. Sounds like it is a lot like the 3M Finesse-It II.

It pretty much is the same. At least the results were anyway. I would say the BM is best suited for boats stored inside and or covered moorage.

Fire- applied BM with Makita 9227C rotary buffer. Unlike a dual-action polisher (PC 7424) which automatically walks across the surface, this rotary polisher allows you to control the movement and focus on tough spots. Removed with same.
Hand waxed boat with the 3M wax, removed with same buffer.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 am 

I just tried Babes Cleaner/Wax over the weekend. About all I noticed is I ended up using the entire bottle on my 22' boat. Based on this thread I'm going to hit it again with Flagship and compare.