www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Bought a Makita 9227C that came with one yellow and one white pad. Never used a electric buffer on a boat before. I view our 2001 328 Vista's gel coat to be in real good shape and at worse would say very light oxidation in some areas.

I understand I should likely do a light polish followed up with wax? Do I use a white pad for polishing and then the yellow for waxing? I have read some guys polish with the buffer and then wax by hand?

I was thinking of using Buff Magic first, then Pro Polish after. Any better thoughts? I have read many sometimes conflicting ways to approach this. I have only hand waxed our boats before.

Where are the best sources to purchase pads? I'd like to order the polish/wax, spurring tool and pads at one time if feasible.

Questions, questions.......

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike.

- 2010 310 Mercury Inflatable

Previous Boats
- 30' Doral Prestancia
- 25' Doral Citation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 pm 

I looked into pads and such at the end of last season and found this website http://www.premiumboatcare.com/. They seem to be reasonably priced and have everything you would need to finish the job and you can email them and ask them what pads, polish, wax etc you would need. This will also be the first time for me as well so it should be interesting to see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 pm 

I just did a bunch of this. I used the instructions on this site:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52772-tips-compound-polish-wax.html

My gel coat was in pretty good shape too, so I started with the Gel Coat Compount (no sanding).

Products I used:
Presta Gel Coat Compount with 3M5711 compound pad
then
Presta Ultra Cutting Creme with 3M5713 pad

I bought and was going to use the Presta Chroma as well, but I ran out of time. I thought it looked great after the gel coat compound - but then I used the cutting creme and man it looks like new now. Another note, the cutting creme went on a lot easier and faster for me. Maybe 1/4 of the time that the Gel coat compound took.
So...after just using these two products, I have a real shine (no silicone in either) and haven't even applied wax yet (will be Collinite #885 Fleet Wax Paste Version, by hand). I didn't use the pads that came with the 9227. I also bought an extension 3M5710 and the more flexible backing pad 3M5717.

I have to say I am VERY impressed with the results - and I've never even waxed my car before. I'd also like to say that those that are scared to use the 9227 don't need to be, just don't leave it in one place, it will be fine.

I bought my pads, 9227 and Presta product from National Tool Warehouse. I had to buy the Gel Coat Compound directly from Presta since NTW didn't carry it. I had it all shipped to CBI USA (warehouse just over the boarder).

Hope that helps - you are embarking on a LOT of work, but the results are fantastic. This is however, one time I wished I had a sailboat where the sides are nice and smooth without all the hull contours to get in the way.

I'll let you know how the waxing goes once I get to it.

Good luck!

Steve.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:33 pm 
Minnow

I have used Aqua Buff 1000 on heavily oxidized hulls and Aqua Buff 2000 on lightly oxidized or Cleaner wax on very lightly oxidized hulls. Aqua Buff is a great product but messy. You slather it on the surface, keeping it misted wet, use a wool buff pad on high speed to cut out the oxidized surface. See: http://netwinn205.shutterfly.com/ for my own success reference. This was a heavily oxidized hull. I help a friend renew his heavily oxidized red waverunner to look new again. I found the buffer and pads at Harbor Freight Tool for short money :wink:

1979 C&C 26 Sloop
1995 Catalina Capri 14