www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning cockpit carpet
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
email admin your custom rank

So during the whole buying process the last few weeks I was under the impression that the cockpit carpet in this boat was grey.
What a surprise when I cleaned it today. It's beige!

Hit it with clorox 2 and scrubbed with a push broom. Could use some more scrubbing but I got tired.
I don't think the previous owner cleaned anything in the five years he owned it. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm 
Minnow

The bleach did not fade out the color or did you use a colorfast type of bleach? I have gray carpet and it is really filthy. Would be nice to get it back to the normal color.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:07 pm 

I tossed the carpet as soon as the boat was delivered to Miami, it would've been a nightmare of mold in this humidity and I love the textured gelcoat it is all I need.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm 
wkearney99

I wouldn't use a bleach product as it's hard on nylons and plastics. That and I'd be wary of ruining the carpet backing (which is fragile enough on it's own).

I prefer to use a Hoover SteamVac (which doesn't use 'steam', just hot water).

Still, wow, that's a heckuva cleanup!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:38 pm 

I also use a Hoover steamvac with good results. Usually use the shampoo in the hot water first then go over it all 2 or 3 times with just hot water. Unbelievable how many times you have to rinse this way to get the return water to be anything near clear. The backing is wearing thin in a few places and I am considering spraying some of that black aerosol rubber sealant stuff on those spots to give me A few more years on my carpet. Anyone do anything like that?

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:24 pm 

I used Clorox 2 which is the color safe, non chlorine, version. It didn't fade it any, just removed five years of dirt that turned it a charcoal color.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:39 pm 

JeffLW wrote:
I used Clorox 2 which is the color safe, non chlorine, version. It didn't fade it any, just removed five years of dirt that turned it a charcoal color.

Check out my post in the how to use 303 and you will see what Clorox 2 did for my canvas. It is safe for most fine clothing and was recommended by a canvas repair shop to me as well. Will have to try it on my carpet now as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm 
wkearney99

Might be worth running the idea past a boat carpet vendor (like snapincarpets or the like). What some local shop recommends might have nothing to do with manufacturer's ideas of suitable products. We've all seen plenty of cases where local workers ruin things with their "ideas".

Boat carpets, like everything else, are hideously expensive to replace. I know, I'm about to pull the trigger on replacing the ones in my 348. I dread the inevitable price quote. With mine it was the result of the backing going to hell, it rotted out. The carpet over it was probably good for at least another season. But the flaking black particles on the back were making a helluva mess of the decking.

So just make sure your carpet vendor is on board with whatever you chose to use. Hey, they might even like the idea. But better to know BEFORE you shorten the life of the material and backing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm 

Bill just for a point of reference, I had all new cockpit carpets made for my boat locally, last season. Three pieces custom made, using the old ones as templates. The cost was $425. I picked a gray/brown berber almost like my old searay. They have the new gray ridged rubber backing rather then the old black hexagon foam. We love them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:03 pm 
wkearney99

I really need to get a new set for our 348. I just do not have the time to fiddle with templates. I'd love to get a set with the faux teak & holly striping but I'd really want the lines straight on all the pieces. Still, good to hear the price paid, I've been expecting it to be more... a lot more.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 am 

I love the look of the faux teak carpet. I was thinking of getting it for this boat but the carpet cleaned up nice and the backing is perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:26 pm 

I know this was an old thread, but to carry it on...

What is good for removing stuck black rubber carpet backing from the gel coat? I just removed the carpet for the first time, and there are patches of black rubber stuck to the non-skid jelcoat. Carpet is still in ok condition, except that some of the rubber stayed stuck to the non-skid.

Xavid wrote:
...The backing is wearing thin in a few places and I am considering spraying some of that black aerosol rubber sealant stuff on those spots to give me A few more years on my carpet. Anyone do anything like that?

+1? I have heard of the idea of using a putty knife to smear silicone caulk on the backing. But has anyone had any luck with something that is aerosol?

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:17 pm 

rpengr wrote:
I know this was an old thread, but to carry it on...

What is good for removing stuck black rubber carpet backing from the gel coat? I just removed the carpet for the first time, and there are patches of black rubber stuck to the non-skid jelcoat. Carpet is still in ok condition, except that some of the rubber stayed stuck to the non-skid.

I had a couple small areas that the rubber stuck to the non-skid but it came right off with a scrub brush. If that doesn't work I'd try a magic eraser.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm 
Sting Ray

Bill, we made templates for our new carpets with Corinthian Marine Carpets, and they should have our templates on file. We even did templates for the cabin, and the drunk stairs. VERY happy, PM me if you need more info!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 pm 

I dealt with the black backing coming apart for most of last season. Some stuck to the non-skid, but mostly just the "sand" from it. I used some barkeepers friend on the deck with a medium bristle brush and it all came off and looked like new. Just bought some new carpet this last week, used the old carpet as a template and installed the snaps myself. I really recommend the barkeepers friend cuz it worked real well and it was only $1.75 a can at Walmart.

not@work.gon
Happiness is an Empty Boat Trailer!!!