www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:15 am 
email admin your custom rank

JeffLW wrote:
I had a couple small areas that the rubber stuck to the non-skid but it came right off with a scrub brush. If that doesn't work I'd try a magic eraser.

pickledboater wrote:
I dealt with the black backing coming apart for most of last season. Some stuck to the non-skid, but mostly just the "sand" from it. I used some barkeepers friend on the deck with a medium bristle brush and it all came off and looked like new. Just bought some new carpet this last week, used the old carpet as a template and installed the snaps myself. I really recommend the barkeepers friend cuz it worked real well and it was only $1.75 a can at Walmart.

Great. This weekend I will try the scrub brush, soap and magic eraser first, then barkeepers friend if needed.
Thanks

I am also still tempted to try that spray rubber type coating on the backing to get a little more time out of it.

prev. boats:
'87 Chaparral 198CXL 4.3 OMC Cobra
'69 Jetstar 16ft Ski Boat, 115hp Yamaha
'68 Aluminum Jon Boat, 3hp Sears
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 am 

Let me know if the spray rubber coating works. I have a feeling I will need to start looking at doing something with the backing on my carpets soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:12 am 

JeffLW wrote:
Let me know if the spray rubber coating works. I have a feeling I will need to start looking at doing something with the backing on my carpets soon.

I think I will try Performix Brand 11 oz. Plasti Dip Black Rubber Coating Spray ...$5.98/can at Home Depot.

I will post pictures when I get to it.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm 

rpengr wrote:
JeffLW wrote:

I think I will try Performix Brand 11 oz. Plasti Dip Black Rubber Coating Spray ...$5.98/can at Home Depot.

I will post pictures when I get to it.

Looks like I won't be trying the rubber coating spray.

:D The Admiral just gave the OK on new carpeting from Snap In Carpers :D
I am thinking about going with the Tan Berber (above). I also like the "Teak" striped carpet, but I am afraid those white strips will get dirty quickly.

Does anybody have any feedback concerning the Berber vs Pile carpet in regards to:
Comfort with bare feet?
Heat level in Hot Sunlight?
Looks?
Longevity & easy to clean?

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:08 am 

This is what the floor looked like when I pulled up the carpet. It must not have ever been removed before.

I've got some scrubbing to do. :(

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:02 am 
Sting Ray

Happened to me too, dont waste your time scrubbing, pressure washer takes that old rubber right up!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:06 pm 

Yup. Looks like mine did. Don't be skeered! It comes off a lot easier than it looks. Look in the horizon board for a thread on audio upgrades, the discussion drifted to carpet and cleaning non-skid cleaning for some good info.

not@work.gon
Happiness is an Empty Boat Trailer!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 am 
Guppy

I have the faux teak carpeting. Looks great new but stains easily and doesn't hide dirt/stains like the Berber I had on my Sea Ray. I don't recommend it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:29 am 

Yjad27 wrote:
I have the faux teak carpeting. Looks great new but stains easily and doesn't hide dirt/stains like the Berber I had on my Sea Ray. I don't recommend it.

That's what I was afraid of...thanks for the input.

I think I settled on the "Sand" Berber. Darker colors would look nice, but in the hot Florida sun, darker colors can get too hot to stand on.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:51 am 
Shark

rpengr wrote:
I am also still tempted to try that spray rubber type coating on the backing to get a little more time out of it.

Hopefully you have better luck with the spray rubber coating than I did with applying clear silicone to the backing to kind of seal it up and keep the black stuff from coming off. I read about that in another post here and thought it sounded like a good idea to get some more life out of the carpets. Unfortunately even after curing in my garage for like a month (I kept forgetting to grab the carpet when we went to the river) the silicone stuck to my cockpit flooring. After trying to take up the carpet last fall, I gave up and now the port side runner and the carpet at the helm is quasi-permanent... :oops: I will have to rip it all out at a later date and pressure wash the non skid to get all the silicone residue off... needless to say, way bigger mess than the original black crap the carpets were shedding to begin with.

After having some serious boat envy over a like-new 318 that some friends just purchased, I'm thinking about some flexiteek in the cockpit area...
I know it's hot on the feet, as I currently have it on my swim platform and do the hot coal/firewalking dance across it all the time till I finally throw something over it to walk on. But it looks so darn good!! :roll:

Or I might just get some cheapo Wal-mart throw rugs and replace them often... Ghetto - That's how we roll! :lol:

2001 Silverton 35C 8.1L Crusaders

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:07 am 

Wow. Important tip. Don't use the silicone idea!

Pressure washing might not help much either. I have some silicone on the bricks surrounding my pool (where they put depth markers like 3ft, that I removed). I have pressure washed several times and cannot get rid of all the silicone. (however, the brick is a porous surface)

The flexiteak with inexpensive throw rugs should look great. Bath mats with non-slip backing?

I am ordering new carpet, but I still might try the spray rubber to see what happens. If I do, I will post pictures.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm 

Today was our first trip out this year. I did the Home Depot carpet and installed the snaps myself. Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed so far. Even if it only lasts a season, I'm only in into it $40.00.

not@work.gon
Happiness is an Empty Boat Trailer!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:43 am 

I just bought a 2001 248 vista. Carpet backing is degrading, I bought the plastidip spray , I will give an update when finished.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 pm 

Rick2752 wrote:
I just bought a 2001 248 vista. Carpet backing is degrading, I bought the plastidip spray , I will give an update when finished.

I did try the Plastidip on the small carpet for the ski-locker door. Took most of one can. So 1 can = about 6 square feet when I used a heavy coating on the worst areas, and a lighter coating on the better areas. Let it dry a week before putting back in.

Results: 3 weeks later, I pulled up that carpet, and it held together, and did not stick to the plastic ski-locker door.
However, 3 weeks is not much of a test, and I had not tried it on the non-slip gelcoat. It would be a lot of work to do the whole large carpet, but this method may be good for smaller areas.

I am still planning on getting new carpet within the next few months.

prev. boats:
'64 Water Wings

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

Jafo4U wrote:
I tossed the carpet as soon as the boat was delivered to Miami, it would've been a nightmare of mold in this humidity and I love the textured gelcoat it is all I need.

I would have to agree with Jafo4U because I have 4 kids and the carpet was a pain due to it constantly being wet and stained by good ol' Georgia red clay (not to mention the humidity and using a cockpit cover during the summer which creates a mold fest). I could only imagine how hard it would be to maintain in salt water (unless you don't go swimming and get it wet). We use our carpet in the winter but that is about it. Faux teak is out too because it is too hot even in Georgia. Soft scrub with bleach will keep your non-skid looking new.