www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carpet snap repair
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have 2 or 4 carpet snaps that have pulled out of the fiberglass flooring.

The genius at the marina told me to put a piece of plywood under the carpet or just move the carpet over a scoonch and re-drill the holes. Both answers making me wonder how the heck he is even allowed to work on boats.

So....I basically know what I need to do is refill the hole with some type of goo and then re-insert the screw. I was hoping the marina guy would help me on what type of epoxy I can use to bond with fiberglass. This leaves me with two questions:

1. What epoxy can I pick up to re-fill the holes?

2. Depending on the epoxy used do I immediately re-insert the screws while it's wet or wait till it's dry and re-drill a pilot hole for the screw?

The one screw is in the stern right above the gas tank so I'm hesitant to be doing any drilling.

Post subject: Re: Carpet snap repair
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 am 

I use Marine Tex epoxy for this. Works perfectly. Little trick I do is put a piece of masking tape over the hole, punch the tape out covering the hole and pick the "hanging chad" out so you have a nice border around the hole. This way can mash that epoxy into the hole without making a sticky mess everywhere because it won't come off.

I then drill a small pilot hole when its hardened. It hardens very quick but I let it set over night. Then I put a dab of white caulk/seal and replace the snap.

Or you, can attach your carpet to ply wood and not need snaps on the boat! :shock:

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:57 pm 

That same guy that said use plywood is THAT guy you pay $120/hr to fix your boat. He's at every marina. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Example:
http://www.marinenutz.com/products/Mari ... Z-Kit.html

Pour it in, let dry, drill a small pilot hole for the snap-screw and screw her home. Good as new. It's as basic as filling a screw hole in drywall with spackle.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 pm 

you also have the option of getting the next bigger size diameter screw snap... then you won't need epoxy... the snaps are the same size, just the screw part changes... boating stores usually carry these or just order online somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:31 am 
Dolphin

Good thread....I just logged on this morning with the intention of asking the same question about the snaps coming loose. My wife and daughter took the carpet out this weekend when we were cleaning the boat and 3 snaps came out of the floor....unfortunately (and unbeknownst to me), 2 of them (near the ski locker) had worked themselves out sometime ago but remain attached to the carpet. I now have 2 very nice gouges in my floor where the pointed end of the screws kept digging into the floor. I'll have to figure out how to fix that at a later time.