www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 H250 Audio Issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:51 am 
email admin your custom rank

I have the Clarion "Premium" sound system from 2005 that includes the Clarion head unit, amp, subwoofer & 4 mids with 4 separate tweeters. I've been contemplating swapping the speakers out for some time. The kids just helped push me in that direction. They were listening to music with their friends while I was hanging out down the beach. From a distance I could hear the speakers start vibrating. By the time I got there, just the front speakers were working. The rear speakers and the subwoofer were completely dead. I checked it out again yesterday and same results... Front speakers working but nothing from rear or sub.

I have a plan for replacing the speakers and sub with Polk products. Not looking to make this into a speaker war. But before placing my order, I thought I should ask my friends here on this issue as it's bugging me. My primary question is could something be wrong with my head unit or amp that's causing this issue of sound only coming from the front two speakers? I just find it odd that I'm not getting any sound from the rear or sub, not even a crackle. I did adjust fade and balance at the head unit and confirmed nothing is coming out of the rear speakers. That's five speakers that are completely dead all at once. If it could be a head unit or amp issue, what's the best way to test these components. I don't want to purchase speakers only to find they won't work due to a bigger issue.

Oh yeah, I'm leaving for a boating vacation next Saturday, so I'm kind of working on a tight timeline. Thanks in advance for your contributions to my issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:19 am 

I think the first and easiest step would to simply hook up the rear speakers to the same channels the front speakers are wired to. If you get sound you know it is not the speakers and a channel on the amp. You may need to swap the RCA inputs on the amp as well to verify its not the head unit output. Similarly you could hook up the working front speakers to the rear channel to see if they play or are dead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:11 pm 

Great suggestion! I hate it when you can't see the obvious ones staring you in the face. Unfortunately, when I hooked the "good" speaker up to the "dead" wires, I still got nothing. So upon further investigation, my rear and sub are driven off the amp (Clarion APX480M) and the front are driven directly off the head unit (Clarion XMD3). I verified the amp is getting power. I pulled the two 25A fuses and they both look good. I didn't have any spares lying around to double check, so that could still be an issue. Even though the amp isn't turning on, the light does not appear to be lighting up on the amp. It's in a terrible spot for me to see without disassembling the whole unit, but I'm 99% sure it's not on.

Given all that, any other suggestions to trouble shoot this to ensure the amp is the culprit. Or could the head unit still be the issue? I have a scary feeling I'm heading down a rabbit hole here. I'd like to not have to replace the entire system if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:56 pm 
230 Mike

Given this is two years old I’m sure it’s resolved but just for the database, I guarantee it was a failed amp. Mine failed in exactly the same way.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic